Warhammer 40k themed clan

Blocoare

Hi Blocoare and welcome to the official Dual Universe forum! :)

However, here's some information related to copyrighted material and brand:
We strongly advise to avoid using or recreating any copyrighted material in Dual Universe as by doing this, you would take the risk of seeing everything related being removed from the game without further notice if the copyright owner ask Novaquark to do so. While we understand this might be frustrating, it has already happened in many occasions for various copyrighted materials, with the last event being a fan-made, nonprofit USS Enterprise reproduction being shut down last month.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar. 

Hello Nyzaltar.

I think this is a good argument:

2 hours ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

However, here's some information related to copyrighted material and brand:
We strongly advise to avoid using or recreating any copyrighted material in Dual Universe as by doing this, you would take the risk of seeing everything related being removed from the game without further notice if the copyright owner ask Novaquark to do so.

but:

If somebody copy any copyright material and modify it somehow, is it also a violation against the copyright and has the owner still the permissions to ask Novaquark to remove it?

Best regards,

Shirosaki.

@Shirosaki

This is a matter of appreciation that varies between legal departments of various companies.

Some are very extreme, others are tolerant to some length.

As there is no way to know for sure in advance, the best advice we can give is: please don't copy any copyrighted material.

If you copy something easily recognizable, you take some risk to see it removed, especially if it's from a well known franchise like Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Warhammer 40K, Battlestar Galactica, etc.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

I mean when in doubt you could always try to locate and contact the managing company (or law firm?) and ask on the stance, if general clauses or laws when something (with modification or credit) would not be an issue anymore cannot be easily or fully applied.

Sometimes all you need is clarity or permission. And some might easily grant it with no real strings attached I am assuming. Would depend in the end.

If you want to use copyrighted Material you can ask the owner of the copyrights.

As far as i know Games Workshop, the owners on Warhammer brand is more focussed in promoting creativity.

As an oldscool tabletop and GW Fan i can say that beyond doupt.

But to make things clear, you should ask Games Workshop directly if you can use theyr concepts in another videogame.

---> Games Workshop Copyright <---

I love tabletop gaming, Warhammer 40k will always have a special place for me because it was my intro into the miniature gaming hobby. But, honestly, Games Workshop has been the worse when it comes to their IP and fans, they have sued/targeted fan-made websites, fan-made films, they also sued a book author over the the word "Space Marine", also sued a fan-site over the word "Warhammer", shut down official retailer's selling their products online.... the list goes on. So I would proceed with caution.

With that said, I like you're idea. What I would recommend is just create something original that's inspired by the 40k universe. Example, you can make Gothic theme futuristic Marines. Nobody holds the rights to the a Gothic design aesthetic, also Skulls and cyber Skulls, Eagles/bird wings, Stone and Archway shaped structures... etc. Create you're Org around similar philosophy of a 40k chapter or legion, but not copying. All original art and design. Just don't use any official copyrighted material (Places, Names, Images, etc). See this as an opportunity to create something new an cool, thats inspired by an IP you love.

Just some food for thought.

26 minutes ago, Kuritho said:

Still, you must keep note that if legal action is pursued, I doubt NQ would try and save you.

I called Gameswork shop and asked them personally, they said its ok aslong as we don't try to sell it and have custom uniforms, and etc.

9 minutes ago, supermega said:

I love tabletop gaming, Warhammer 40k will always have a special place for me because it was my intro into the miniature gaming hobby. But, honestly, Games Workshop has been the worse when it comes to their IP and fans, they have sued/targeted fan-made websites, fan-made films, they also sued a book author over the the word "Space Marine", also sued a fan-site over the word "Warhammer", shut down official retailer's selling their products online.... the list goes on. So I would proceed with caution.

With that said, I like you're idea. What I would recommend is just create something original that's inspired by the 40k universe. Example, you can make Gothic theme futuristic Marines. Nobody holds the rights to the a Gothic design aesthetic, also Skulls and cyber Skulls, Eagles/bird wings, Stone and Archway shaped structures... etc. Create you're Org around similar philosophy of a 40k chapter or legion, but not copying. All original art and design. Just don't use any official copyrighted material (Places, Names, Images, etc). See this as an opportunity to create something new an cool, thats inspired by an IP you love.

Just some food for thought.

6 hours ago, Blocoare said:
7 hours ago, Kuritho said:

I called Gameswork shop and asked them personally, they said its ok aslong as we don't try to sell it and have custom uniforms, and etc. 

Always get things in writing. . Even then i still wouldnt do it  :o

Don't panic about IP. At worst you'd have to remove your mentions to copyrighted terms on your forum page.
As we saw for 6mm miniature independant producers, GW never succeeded to get a copyright on designs. But yeah mentionning "Space Marine" or "Robout Guilliman", having GW's Imperial Eagle on your forum thread or things like that can expose you. Building an Aquila Lander or a Thunderhawk in game is 100% safe.

You don't realize how expensive is to put on a trial ahah

32 minutes ago, Castanietzsche said:

Don't panic about IP. At worst you'd have to remove your mentions to copyrighted terms on your forum page.
As we saw for 6mm miniature independant producers, GW never succeeded to get a copyright on designs. But yeah mentionning "Space Marine" or "Robout Guilliman", having GW's Imperial Eagle on your forum thread or things like that can expose you. Building an Aquila Lander or a Thunderhawk in game is 100% safe.

You don't realize how expensive is to put on a trial ahah

I think people are missing the point. Big companies wont go after creators of content in DU, they will go after NQ itself. That there is the danger for all of us....

2 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

I think people are missing the point. Big companies wont go after creators of content in DU, they will go after NQ itself. That there is the danger for all of us....

Intellectual property isn't magic, you don't have an automatic infinite right on all you create. Just have a look there : https://www.trolls.cz/collections/sci-fi-miniatures
Trolls Under The Bridge has no contract with Games Workshop and are 100% on their right on selling 40k inspired miniatures. They just can't name them "Space Marines" or "Sisters of Battle" because it's copyrighted.
There aren't patents on each GW miniature lol. Just don't think about your fears or your common sense and think about right. It's obvious for everyone who studied intellectual property.

I dunno, Castanietzsche kinda has a point as I think about it.

What you plaster into these forums can be found as those are indexed by search engines. What you post or label in-game cannot be found like that by IP managing folks who utilize search engines to find questionable cases (from their view) in the first place. We could question how proactive NQ is expected to enforce this and if they can even be held accountable if players avoid the usual names and references even ingame.

Can NQ be blamed if someone builds the Enterprise, refers to it with a different name and draws no "clearweb" relations and if there was a rule about it, has no other player report it?

There's a German saying that kind of fits here. "Wo kein Kläger, da kein Richter." Loosely translated it would mean where there is no complaining person, there is no judge. There would always be the risk of other people drawing connections somewhere and basically creating a trail people can follow, or NQ noticing something and deciding it would or could be an issue.

And I'm not encouraging any sort of behavior here. The point is, realistically it's not like we have undercover corporate lawyers playing such games all day to spot player creation issues even in-game. So you can get away with some things, simple as that. Or it would probably be unrealistic to really sue someone because someone build some replica in some game.