I don't think I'm happy that Organizations are already up and running

Anopheles

3 minutes ago, Anopheles said:

Depends on how lucky you are with recruiting.  It also depends what kind of leader you are: Charisma Boy or Organization Boy.     The first type makes people want to help him, the second type impresses people.    Don't try to be a cold, calculating Charisma Boy and don't try to be a Make It Up As You Go Along Organization boy.   You'll be given mixed signals and putting people at unease.     I tend to the lucky with people type, this person is good at this and that, would you like to do that?   I try to make an organization that doesn't have any real secrets (or I make light and try to sell them to you myself) which discourages spiess and agents and try to be light on centralized goods, which puts off scammers (though most EVE 'master scammers' are people who betrayed trust and try to make it seem warm and fuzzy by claiming it was 'years in the planning'.)

I do let people know that X Y and Z do the big decision making, just to save money on painkillers.

So since i'm an Organization boy, that means that i have to make my Org efficient. Clear on what the Org will do and how to do it?

DU is exciting. The sandbox setting is appealing. No one can stop the orgs from forming. If there was no official support for it yet, it would be happening via other channels.

The truly interesting thing about the metagame is that it is the context in which real people deal with one another, mediated less via the game world and more via actual human relationship. And just as that is a constant source of joy and frustration IRL, so will it be in DU. And so it is already!

I'm thrilled by the level of engagement already occurring. It points toward the greater likelihood that a community will gel around this game quickly after release. That is what a game like this requires to remain interesting and fun. A sandbox MMO gets boring very quickly if you are the only one int he sandbox. Again, kind of like RL!

So I embrace the early metagame. Even though I'm not much interested in the politics (i.e., power dynamics) of it all (as a member of the politically neutral Signal Cartel), I am delighted to see that it is growing with such vigor. It foretells good things for DU's success!

13 hours ago, Anopheles said:

Seems like every niche has already been filled.  New organizations will be minnows and will struggle to survive.   

Yes, I know Organization Churn is a thing in games, but everything you want to do will already be up and running, so you are under a lot of weight.

This will be true even after a wipe.     This means the best areas will be found sooner (organized effort), better defended and so on.

Organizations shouldn't have started until a relatively short beta or after. 

MMO's live or die by the communities engaged and dedicated to them.

Getting orgs started now is a great way of not only creating the early support structures of DU, but of drumming up new recruits to the game before it releases, helping ensure a player base, and hence a good revenue stream, from day one.

This will, in part, help DU survive both short, and long term, as a successful MMO. ;)

15 hours ago, Lulichika said:

So since i'm an Organization boy, that means that i have to make my Org efficient. Clear on what the Org will do and how to do it?

That's right.  Play to your skills.   And know your weaknesses.   Mine is attention span (i have severe ADHD) and burnout, so I like to make sure there is a contingency for my wandering off and that my fast burning energy is transferred to someone who is a bit slower burning.

4 hours ago, Anopheles said:

That's right.  Play to your skills.   And know your weaknesses.   Mine is attention span (i have severe ADHD) and burnout, so I like to make sure there is a contingency for my wandering off and that my fast burning energy is transferred to someone who is a bit slower burning.

Satan, my dude.

I gotta talk to you about burning people.

Use a sous vide next time.

I’m a bit nervous about this new org I’m in. I want to be in charge or at least have energy go power to run it. It’s so I can keep everyone in the loop; engaged in the Corp and the game itself. But I’m afraid that all I have are ideas. That I’m not capable or at least motivated enough to lead or manage. Any advice?

On 10/6/2018 at 11:08 AM, Anopheles said:

Seems like every niche has already been filled.

Who says you can't do the same as someone but better? Or the same as someone but your own touch? Or just the same as someone but for YOUR friends/community?

Just because someone has done a thing already doesn't mean they are entitled to be the biggest in the field. People will be able to start their new things regardless of what already exist because it will ultimately depend on people

1) what people think or want to do in game most likely will change. 

2) who cares if someone else is doing it. We need multiple orgs doing the same thing to create competition.

3) I don’t care what I do as long as I look pretty doing it ?

On 10/7/2018 at 4:47 PM, Lulichika said:

I’m a bit nervous about this new org I’m in. I want to be in charge or at least have energy go power to run it. It’s so I can keep everyone in the loop; engaged in the Corp and the game itself. But I’m afraid that all I have are ideas. That I’m not capable or at least motivated enough to lead or manage. Any advice?

Your choices are, depending on circumstsnces, 

A ) find a way to be in charge (but don't try to hijack an URL, this is usually illegal and treated as real world theft).

B ) offer to become an advisor/Lieutenant (the Eminence Gris/obvious successor route.)

C ) leave and form a similar organisation.   (If you go this way, let people know what you are doing, with only constructive feedback, but it's a social faux pas - and terrible diplomacy - to use that notification to actively recruit from your old org.  I wouldn't even reveal the name of the new organization.  If people are disenchanted with the old, or interested in your message, they will let you know.)

As far as nerves?  Nobody is going to die on an operating table here.  If you try and fail nothing of consequence has been lost. Only time and calories.  You fail?  Go join another organisation or study your failure and then try again.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of relevant things have been said already, so I'll just keep it to my opinion about your OP @Anopheles :

- I understand the disappointment of not "discovering a brand new world" with no ties, no orgs, nothing to ordinate this experience, because so many corps would already exist on day 1. I counterbalance that disappointment by thinking that pre-release players community will be quite small compared to the massive number of players that (I hope and believe) will join the adventure on release.

In the end, what makes a functional org isn't just a logo and a niche, it really is about how fun and enjoyable the game will be through it. So far, you could picture all existing orgs as "planned organisations", rather than functional ones. Only time will tell, after release, which ones will actually exist and have an impact, and which won't, for the reasons that have been discussed before.

It's all good, brave new world is still on it's way :)

7 hours ago, Cal Rouvenor said:

So far, you could picture all existing orgs as "planned organisations", rather than functional ones.

Even though I might take this out of context (the context you mean), it's not entirely true.

If you argue that from the perspective of the sole game Dual Universe, organizations are mere "intends of purpose or goals", then yes, in a nutshell this would be the case, as there isn't much of a finalized product available at this time.

However, in terms of a social hub, organizations are most often not solely focusing on one game. While they may not have other core branches or divisions in other games, aka a formal presence there, they could still play those games together. I believe this is an aspect people should not forget as it might count a bit or even a lot as people consider potential membership in an organization, or join and try to get by until DU release.

Long story short, for DU this might be the case. But orgs might as well function in other games already. Already established organizations that do not hing on DU will likely have it easier as they will likely, on average, seem more stable in general.

4 hours ago, Warden said:

Even though I might take this out of context (the context you mean), it's not entirely true.

Yup, quoting me out of context isn't relevant.

Take my words as in "DU wise". If those orgs are extra-DU functional, fine. But it's not relevant to the OP.

"With great power comes great responsabilities" cit.

If you want power you'll have to work hard to get and mantain it. (Ye, this isn't really what spiderman meant) 

Regarding OP:

You can create the organization you want now, at release or years after that. It does not matter if there's a similar one already: if yours is better you'll succed, otherwise fail. That said, that mentality you have isn't really going to work for this kind of path, you're already demoralized before even starting. 

Do remember that as long as we have no idea how organizations will be introduced after release any discussion might be irrelevant, for all we know there will be a lvling system and you can only invite 10 at release :P

23 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

Do remember that as long as we have no idea how organizations will be introduced after release any discussion might be irrelevant, for all we know there will be a lvling system and you can only invite 10 at release :P

However, Novaquark has said when organizations are introduced into the game, the membership will be the same as the ones we are creating now, which would mean there will no need to invite existing members.

This is from the information that appears when creating an organization:

Once the game launches the organizations, the members and the information held here will be synchronised with the game world

On 10/6/2018 at 9:26 PM, Greenfox said:

YOu can say that 90% of all corp registered members are probably ghosts, they might comeback or not.

But before we reach Beta, anything out there is just a note for people to look at.

Let's say if every single members of the big organisations are active, how many of them are there because their organisation is the biggest and the strongest?

And how many will jump ship after their nation's first defeat in pvp when they realize they won't dominate the universe? ?

From my experience in mmorpgs like Black Desert, which is basically a 100-members-guild based game, 50% of the top organisations split, disband or just disappear within the first three month and the new ones rise, so don't worry if your organisation only has 2 members right now, it only matters three month into the release! ?

• 4 weeks later...

I would prefer to be in a small org that consists of friends. People we trust and have different connections with. Such an organization won't fall apart because the sticky glue that holds us together is not build from the success of the org. And because of that we will learn each others strengths in DU and reorganize to grow and become more stable. For me gaming in general and in this case DU is not about winning but about how to deal with and then overcomming those problems. So my advise would be: start bonding before the flood comes :) 

Well if you want, TEST is basically that. We don't have a solid structure, you just know that when you see another TESTie, you can trust them. We work in a similar system in Star Citizen. Although there are 17,000 of us, we all get along and look out for each other, without causing stupid drama.

TEST org BEST org

All I can say is, I'm glad I found an org before A1 Launch. DU is going to be deep, I'm looking forward to the new game, new ppl, new awesome experience. I don't see the problem with ppl being excited enough to get together and get a head start and get organized.

-That's no moon...

It's nice to have organisation during warming up, you can see motivated people, which is quite important in this kind of game. I have played a lot on Eve, and some other MMO like SWG online. As long as you want to build something solid and deep, you need to be in a group. So it is nice to start from now.