Hello, I have a question

So... I'm interested in the game and possibly supporting (instant access sounds nice)
but, I see it mentions a subscription, will there be a subscription fee to play even for the $180 supporters?
I just feel like I wouldn't want to pay a massive amount of money only to discover that I will have limited time to play before I have to start paying again

Hello, welcome here !

I think that yeah we won't be exempt of suscription. Pricing is a real problem for this game. I didn't buy Dual Universe when I discovered it this summer for this reason and being worried about pay-to-win mechanics. But changed my mind and bought the 180 bucks pack yesterday. This game is really too awesome to think about price ! Did you check the youtube tutorials ? Hype over 9000 !

I think that this huge pricing might be voluntary to avoid trolls to join the game too massively. But I'm not that convinced. Possessing the game only 5 years means 600€ spent in it wow. And maybe there are also other in-game purchases ? I hope not

I'm waiting the validation of my payment to download the game, if you're interested to discover the game together send me a pm :)

9 hours ago, thecrazy13 said:

will there be a subscription fee to play even for the $180 supporters?

There will be a subscription fee for every supporter. The only exception to this rule are the people who backed the game with a Ruby pledge or higher very early on (kickstarter phase and a later pledges) and received a lifetime subscription for the price of 480€ (Which equals around 40 months or 3.3 years in subscription prices)

However, for the price of 180€, you will be getting instant pre-alpha access and access beyond, so about 2 more years of free gameplay time until subscriptions are actually implemented. And even then, the Patron Pack will give you 12 DACs, which equal one year of gameplay time for no further cost, not to mention the huge list of additional stuff you get from the pack, including beta keys, territory units and vanity items.

And let's also not forget that within that one year of gameplay time, you should definitely be able to earn enough money in-game to buy a DAC or two or build a business with which you can finance those subscriptions further on. And I usually assume that people who will actually still be around in three years, when you'd need to pay for subscriptions, are interested and active enough in the game to earn that amount of money. 
If I were you, I wouldn't think about it too much. Three years is a long time and you never know what your life might look like by then. 

2 hours ago, Castanietzsche said:

Possessing the game only 5 years means 600€ spent in it wow.

Let's also not forget yet again that using the DACs, you can choose when to use them. "Posessing" the game doesn't cost anything. If within those five years, you were to play and pay for a subscription every single month, then yes, you'd pay about that much. Although then again, you'd probably also have enough in-game money in that case to just buy them off other players. 
But seeing the average gamer, I doubt the vast majority of people are interested and motivated enough to actually play the game every month. You might play for two or three months, then get interested in other games for a while until those become less interesting as well. Then you might find yourself returning to DU every now and then, but within 5 years, realistically you're more than likely to pay far less. 

2 hours ago, Castanietzsche said:

avoid trolls to join the game

*joins Kuritho in giggling*

I'm really not optimistic about buying DAC with in-game currency.
We don't have any information on how easy will it be to gather enough IG money, and that can be huge. For example, in World of Warcraft it's ridiculously long to get enough for 1 month and your month will still be paid by another player. (in this extreme case he even pays more than by buying a month for himself...).

That's also very unwholesome to connect real currency to in-game one.

This argument isn't one or it is a scam. I think that the expensive pricing of Dual Universe is going to refrain tons of people to play. The point is, we used to play MMOs and minecraft because our friends played it at school, it became a social phenomenon, everybody spoke about it and playing with friends is really that makes people love multiplayer games.
About we can suscribe month by month... It's not day by day. You may suffer from a confirmation bias but this game IS one of the most expensive game ever made. It's much more expensive than Europa Universalis IV. And we still don't know how many in-game purchases there will be.
About the "free 2 years" while playing during the beta, hey a game in beta is full of bug. You test the game, that's all.

That being said, this game is really expensive but I still bought it because I think I'll have tons of fun on it.

1 hour ago, Castanietzsche said:

I think that the expensive pricing of Dual Universe is going to refrain tons of people to play

Working as intended then. Ppl who buy in now are supposed to help get rid of bugs and test the game. Not play it for fun. Especially in prealpha and alpha stage

To sum it it up:

- there will be a free period of "trial time"

- you get DAC with these packs. Each DAC is 1 month of ingame sub time. (either can sell them for ingame stuff or use them yourself)

- you will need to sub after your DAC are all gone to get acess to your account again

The money you pay for the support packages is basicaly an "up-front payment of x amounts of months + neat extras + free time till the game realeses".

DO MIND ... test are weekly for a day and can be short as 1~6 hours if problems come up. Generally you can expect a weekend test session per month, if nothing bad happens.

Shedule is viewable on the site https://www.dualthegame.com/en/server-status/

If you don't mind an unfinished game and bugs. You can jump onto the long ride alot of people here are riding already. Do give feedback to things ... ask questions in chat ingame and be nice. Then everyone will be nice to you. Except certain people that like messing with others xD.

6 hours ago, Castanietzsche said:

About we can suscribe month by month... It's not day by day. You may suffer from a confirmation bias but this game IS one of the most expensive game ever made. It's much more expensive than Europa Universalis IV. And we still don't know how many in-game purchases there will be.

I'm pretty sure there are many much costlier games to produce than DU. If however you are talking about 'cost to enter', well we still don't know that yet either besides "between $10 to $20 Euro's per month'. So about the cost of three cups of coffee. I can live with that - as can most people.

If you are referring to the cost of entry at the moment is actually the cost to both back the game, and the privilege of helping to debug and improve the game, before the games release in a year or threes time. Naturally there are benefits being an early backer - as well as the danger that the game may never be released, though indications so far is that it likely will, which is why I will be joining the game come November-ish when Alpha 1 is released.

So is DU for everyone at the moment, nopes, is it for everyone at release - yes (assuming they don't mind increasing their coffee budget ;)  )

9 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

I'm pretty sure there are many much costlier games to produce than DU. If however you are talking about 'cost to enter', well we still don't know that yet either besides "between $10 to $20 Euro's per month'. So about the cost of three cups of coffee. I can live with that - as can most people.

Coffee is 60c in my university and 1€10 in the hospital I work lol. How can someone share Dual Universe on facebook, with things such as "there may be other pay-to-win mechanics" or "you are disavantaged with people who bought a commercial place somewhere during the release".
IMO there should be either month fee or pay-to-win purchases, but not both

14 hours ago, Castanietzsche said:

Coffee is 60c in my university and 1€10 in the hospital I work lol. How can someone share Dual Universe on facebook, with things such as "there may be other pay-to-win mechanics" or "you are disavantaged with people who bought a commercial place somewhere during the release".
IMO there should be either month fee or pay-to-win purchases, but not both

Also the only disadvantage with people starting later is that there character skills wont be as developed as say for someone who has been playing for a year. The game gets a total wipe at release, except for blueprints, everything is totally reset. So those early backers will have a very slight advantage over someone that joins the game on day one, but that day one person can still out perform and out develop them. So that sounds fair to me. ;)

There will not be any 'play to win' mechanics, just a monthly subscription to enter the game..... and .... most of us no longer get government subsidised university coffee ;)

BTW I never said there will be both, neither has NQ, so that idea needs to be squashed. :D