Lulichika

What if we added mechanics like 

• Hunger
  • Thirst
  • Disease
  • Oxygen
  • Radiation
  • Bleeding

I assume this would make exploring much more perilous but also make already established cities viable options what with the immediate access to food, water, shelter and protection.

Medicines could be developed by Scientific Organizations, meanwhile players couldn't simply make a ship and fly off world.  They'd need to make sure that supplies to keep them alive were present, and initiating attacks on other players much more risk reward. Trade Routes would be of more importance, food industries could be created as a serious industry what with and advance cooking system. Drugs, Alcohol and other substances would give players an opportunity to get into crime and one day becoming a pirate themselves. 

So i just wanted to get my ideas out there. 

2 hours ago, Lulichika said:

So what do you propose as a substitute to hunger. A sub the has the same need or extreme demand that would be widespread amongst the player base?

I propose having the status bar to manage called "Literal Nothingness"

It's always full and never depletes. If it depletes somehow, you die.

#ProblemSolved

11 hours ago, Lulichika said:

players couldn't simply make a ship and fly off world.  They'd need to make sure that supplies to keep them alive were present, and initiating attacks on other players much more risk reward. Trade Routes would be of more importance, food industries could be created as a serious industry what with and advance cooking system

I see your point there but you have to keep in mind that this could easily turn into a grindfest.

Right now you "only" have to worry about earining money: mine the ground to get ore, sell that to earn money and buy elements to build your ship. Or craft your parts yourself. Then buy or mine enough fuel to get off planet. Since spaceflight will be "like KSP" (according to JC and the devblogs) there are orbits in space so it's already hard to navigate there. You'll travel for hours in one direction until you reach a new celestial body. Then you have to worry about getting your stuff safely on ground again.

If ppl now need to worry about medicine, radiation and food too before they can even start to fly to other bodies, then this will turn quickly into a tedious and unfun experience.

Just my 2 cents

I refer to the existing threads. Although, would posting in them now be considered necroposting? Dun, dun, duuuuunnnnn. *dramatic music plays now*

Anyway, I'm heavily in favor of survival mechanics. But it's perhaps not marketed as your classic survival game.

So I suggest survival light with less burdens if food has to be watched. So you don't have to eat as often, but eventually. Maybe once every 8 to (open ended) hours of actual game play.

Despite being a fan of this, I could live with no food mechanic IF they keep or add natural hazards. Fuel alone is dandy n' all but extreme heat, cold and space (oxygen, put on helmet in space son) and then ideally radiation and toxic environments would be nice.

Just my preference. If you can create a limited or moderate toxic environment yourself, even better.

For science and testing and all. And to live out secret Helghast gas mask fantasies. Probably.

Bare minimum would be oxygen for space, even if it's a huge integrated tank in the helmet you rarely have to fill.

Please no survival additions, there are enough games in development that are marketed like that. DU is not. 

But to still give positive feedback:

• Hunger, make it a buf that makes you run/work harder
  • Thirst, see hunger 
  • Disease, could be interesting, but nothing lethal, flu or something that makes a planet ofr region work slower/run slower would be a thing
  • Oxygen, yes and no, adding oxigen makes it more real but also will add to server complexity
  • Radiation, I wanted to say no, but it could be rather interesting to add this, if someone then nukes a place or a meltdown occures the surrounding area is kinda worthless. Could be a thing in warfare
  • Bleeding, make it a buff as hunger

And as said previous, there are alot of items about this

Okay, what if instead of a constant depleting bar the player has to fill over and over again, they just use items that buff you when you acquire a debuff that won’t worsen over time but will stay there until you use the appropriate buff.

EX: You’ve been injure and have a bacterial infection that caps your overall health at 75% of it’s original health. To fix this, you use a buff(antibiotic) to get rid of the debuff.

6 hours ago, Lulichika said:

Okay, what if instead of a constant depleting bar the player has to fill over and over again, they just use items that buff you when you acquire a debuff that won’t worsen over time but will stay there until you use the appropriate buff.

EX: You’ve been injure and have a bacterial infection that caps your overall health at 75% of it’s original health. To fix this, you use a buff(antibiotic) to get rid of the debuff.

that's the same as before really. With that you force everyone to do that stuff (because noone wants to run around with 75% health) instead of rewarding ppl who do it.

A better way to do it would be to reward players if they put time into that kind of stuff. That planet might have some bacteria - invent/research/craft some kind of drug out of them to get stronger/faster/more agile/more accurate/gain a bonus on some stat.

Radiation might be there - invent/research/craft some kind of shield/module which uses that radiation to get stronger/faster/more agile/more accurate/gain a bonus on some stat.

You get the idea

With such a system ppl will ofc use as many of "upgrades" those as possible to get an edge over others (thus you could argue it's still "forced" upon them) - but the difference is Jimmy McCasual will not feel overwhelmed and slammed by the grind and vast possibilities of DU

I also like the idea of buffs, even though it’s kind of a ‘soft debuff’. I think the two key things would be:

1. The buffs are based on consumables, are are temporary but substantial.

2. Making good buff items requires high skill specialization in a particular skill category. This both opens up another ‘job’ within the game, and will make it so the people most likely to use buffs (combatants, probably) will have to buy them.

I think maximizing the number of jobs in DU’s industry is important, but that forcing players to engage with everything will take away the fun of specialization and turn new players away from the game.

Just my $0.02.

6 hours ago, Lethys said:

that's the same as before really. With that you force everyone to do that stuff (because noone wants to run around with 75% health) instead of rewarding ppl who do it.

A better way to do it would be to reward players if they put time into that kind of stuff. That planet might have some bacteria - invent/research/craft some kind of drug out of them to get stronger/faster/more agile/more accurate/gain a bonus on some stat.

Radiation might be there - invent/research/craft some kind of shield/module which uses that radiation to get stronger/faster/more agile/more accurate/gain a bonus on some stat.

You get the idea

With such a system ppl will ofc use as many of "upgrades" those as possible to get an edge over others (thus you could argue it's still "forced" upon them) - but the difference is Jimmy McCasual will not feel overwhelmed and slammed by the grind and vast possibilities of DU

Then that should be the system used. It rewards players for sorry club natural disasters and creates new tech that people in the market can purchase

2 hours ago, ArtfulBadger said:

I also like the idea of buffs, even though it’s kind of a ‘soft debuff’. I think the two key things would be:

1. The buffs are based on consumables, are are temporary but substantial.

2. Making good buff items requires high skill specialization in a particular skill category. This both opens up another ‘job’ within the game, and will make it so the people most likely to use buffs (combatants, probably) will have to buy them.

I think maximizing the number of jobs in DU’s industry is important, but that forcing players to engage with everything will take away the fun of specialization and turn new players away from the game.

Just my $0.02.

Buffs eh? I support this idea! Later then, Players can create a wide variety of commodities such as tea, coffee, beer or anything goes down the line. 

On 10/1/2018 at 5:03 PM, Aaron Cain said:

Please no survival additions, there are enough games in development that are marketed like that. DU is not. 

But to still give positive feedback:

• Hunger, make it a buf that makes you run/work harder
  • Thirst, see hunger 
  • Disease, could be interesting, but nothing lethal, flu or something that makes a planet ofr region work slower/run slower would be a thing
  • Oxygen, yes and no, adding oxigen makes it more real but also will add to server complexity
  • Radiation, I wanted to say no, but it could be rather interesting to add this, if someone then nukes a place or a meltdown occures the surrounding area is kinda worthless. Could be a thing in warfare
  • Bleeding, make it a buff as hunger

And as said previous, there are alot of items about this

Solar radiation, yes it's interesting. As for nukes, Lord JC has said there will be no mass destruction weapons. We have to keep in mind that Dual Universe is not a survival game but a first person based sandbox sci-fi and civilization MMORPG.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:19 PM, CoreVamore said:

I propose people use the search tool above to see that this subject has been brought up multiple times......

*standing ovation*

In all seriousness though, I didn't sign up to play a space simulator. Maybe if you want to include food for buffs and that sort of thing, sure, but actual survival mechanics...

I want my 500 back if that's the case.

How about:

Exhaustion
Willpower
Love
Fear
And menstrual cycles

Food could also have different nutrients, that give you buffs like beatuiful hair and nails or debuffs like diarrhea.

That brings up another topic: Space Toilets.

Also: Space showers, space toothbrushes and space body lotions.

You could become a hygienic supervisor for the kitchen perk of a large organization maybe.

^^

30 minutes ago, MaltoSigma said:

How about:

Exhaustion
Willpower
Love
Fear
And menstrual cycles

Food could also have different nutrients, that give you buffs like beatuiful hair and nails or debuffs like diarrhea.

That brings up another topic: Space Toilets.

Also: Space showers, space toothbrushes and space body lotions.

You could become a hygienic supervisor for the kitchen perk of a large organization maybe.

^^

The sarcasm is strong with this one.

I approve  ;)

The only way you could even think of having food in a game like this is when we get full-dive technology where I can taste, smell, etc (aka never). This isn't a survival game- it's a emergent roleplaying MMO.

What's the difference between eating literal shit and the best food ever in a game apart from stats?

On 9/30/2018 at 1:55 PM, Lulichika said:

What if we added mechanics like 

• Hunger
  • Thirst
  • Disease
  • Oxygen
  • Radiation
  • Bleeding

I assume this would make exploring much more perilous but also make already established cities viable options what with the immediate access to food, water, shelter and protection.

Medicines could be developed by Scientific Organizations, meanwhile players couldn't simply make a ship and fly off world.  They'd need to make sure that supplies to keep them alive were present, and initiating attacks on other players much more risk reward. Trade Routes would be of more importance, food industries could be created as a serious industry what with and advance cooking system. Drugs, Alcohol and other substances would give players an opportunity to get into crime and one day becoming a pirate themselves. 

So i just wanted to get my ideas out there. 

I’m sorry that I misunderstood what this game was about.

1 hour ago, MaltoSigma said:

I heard, that NQ is actually thinking about implementing such survival mechanics in a future expansion after release, but they've set their focus on different things atm.

Where did you hear that?

On 10/4/2018 at 5:01 PM, Kuritho said:

The only way you could even think of having food in a game like this is when we get full-dive technology where I can taste, smell, etc (aka never). This isn't a survival game- it's a emergent roleplaying MMO.

What's the difference between eating literal shit and the best food ever in a game apart from stats?

*cough* Link *cough* Start?

2 hours ago, Sky Asa said:

Zero Two = Best girl.

2 hours ago, Kuritho said:

Zero Two > Asuna

:3 get a room you two. Try to focus on the topic.

Survival mechanics MIGHT be added in some form.

But more like a deteration factor for people to build extrem deep underground bases.

We might get "food" and "water" too.

But anything on that is speculation and or rumors atm.

What we most certainly wont get "AIR in Spaceships with integrity checks of hulls".

That is a server melder ... just play "From the Depths" to see how your pc reacts to 20 ships on water ... when they get riddled with holes. Now imagine what the server will say to a few thousands of these checks per second xD.

PS: @Lulichika if you use the search function you will find a bunch of similar topics already discussing this~