What Attracted You To The Dual Universe Game and Community

Eris Bellona

Since my last question wasn't exactly the best i figured I should get back to basics. Getting to know this beloved community and its patrons. 

So here's a question for all the community members: 

What attracted you to Dual Universe, what inspired you to become about of this fabulous growing community, and lastly what do you hope to accomplish in this community. Any sort of in game goals you have? 

Let us know in the comments below! 

Seem like most people here, from E3 Video. 
When i'm scrolling my Facebook for boring article then a post with E3 Video about DU ... i have never seen anything so unique like this one. Let thinking about single one server, single shard, totally unimaginable. A game where everyone can interact and playing a same time in a same area with no loading or split or waiting to join.

Dang after that vid i go to youtube about DU to watch more and more, go to main web site of DU and peek the forum (re read alot of post in the past ) but lay low for a while then i decide time to join DU community and practice in discussion on the forum and the rest like it to this day.

But in DU i dont think there will be goal as you can be everything. literary i really want to see a massive battle on my ship/or my org ship ( stand from a safe place, to see the epic battle ) and enjoy other monument/grand construct or even ... DU's Wonders.

I wanted a game like DU ever since I started playing Space Engineers, and found a link to the E3 video in the SE forums. I also played Eve for many years and was looking for the "next step" in single shard mmo evolution.

I don't really have any goals other than to have fun, and figure it out as I go.

I was informed about this shortly after E3 back then and the concept was appealing. A subjectively better Eve Online for me, since it will allow unique construction and focus on first person or rather a character, rather than me having to pilot a ship in third person while clicking around.

My goals are to....

... heh, nice try. Won't spill the beans here. Time will tell whether the goals shift and if they can be achieved.

When I came across DU it immediately felt like a logical next step from EVE. There is a lot of EVE in DU but there's more that is unique and IMO missing from EVE. In my vision DU pretty much is kind of the precursor to the lore of EVE, the moment where the Human race arrives in a new universe and their way back collapses. So they set out from this point of no return and over the ages, empires and technology evolves and develops.

That in fact is where the story of EVE starts pretty much even when the game itself is set many hundreds of years after these events happened. In DU that part of the story actually is where we all begin so it will be interesting and fascinating to see how this develops.

It's like a strong and clear feeling of "this has to do with me" ... To sum it up, I'm here because of a question of irresistible resonance. You know, issues of vibrational frequency. I HAD to be here. 

What attracted you to Dual Universe?

I love EVE Online. The deep lore and sandbox universe combine to produce some amazing emergent gameplay. But I also really enjoy custom crafting, a la Minecraft. DU seems to me like it could be the best of both worlds.

What inspired you to become about of this fabulous growing community?

The community! My favorite part of my time in EVE Online has been the tremendous community. It can look pretty rough from the outside looking in, but the players there are mostly wonderful. And my corporation home, Signal Cartel, is second-to-none in terms of fun activity, caring support, and genuine friendship. We say in EVE that the best ship is friendship, and I hope to be part of making that true in DU, as well.

What do you hope to accomplish in this community? Any sort of in game goals you have? 

I love the non-PvP service-oriented gameplay that we have established in Signal cartel in EVE Online. I'm hoping to adapt that outlook to DU. What does search-and-rescue look like in DU? (Will there even be a need for it?) What will it mean to be neutral in DU? To be of service to the entire community in fun and creative ways? And I cannot wait to get my hands on the LUA scripting capabilities. We do a lot of fun in-game RP events in EVE, and the possibilities of what we can do in that regard with the scripting options is literally keeping me up at night in anticipation.

I'm bought in to be part of the Alpha launch this fall/winter. I am super-excited to be a more direct part of Dual Universe!

I was scrolling through kickstarter hoping to see something that might peek my interest then i saw dual universe. After looking i immediately saw a pc gamer article discussing about the game. From there i was hooked. I didn't back the game on kickstarter, as i was very cautious at the time. But later i pledged on their website. 

I wanted to have the experience that eve online players had when they played it. Corruption, war, backstabbing, betrayal, all of that good stuff. Since this was a new mmo i thought i could (hopefully) get into it and start my own legacy and to be well known in the community.

2 hours ago, PrinceChawmin said:

I was scrolling through kickstarter hoping to see something that might peek my interest then i saw dual universe. After looking i immediately saw a pc gamer article discussing about the game. From there i was hooked. I didn't back the game on kickstarter, as i was very cautious at the time. But later i pledged on their website. 

Pretty much me, the only differences were that I was swearing off kickstarter after having been duped one to many times and was taking a final look around.

Just the kickstarter content alone got me hyped, throw in a bit of imagination and I wanted to back at the ruby level. Didn't have the money at the time and it was still a kickstarter thing, so I flew off with iron. Upgraded to ruby over four months or so after the post kickstarter packs went live.

To answer the OP:

What attracted you to Dual Universe:

I wanted to get into EVE, but after hearing all the stories about turncoats, backstabbing, etc, I just lost interest. Of course, I was also a broke teenager at the time too so there was that. I've always been interested in space since I was a kid, and while destruction is my thing (reference Red Faction Guerrilla), building my own vehicles, ships, and structures seemed very intriguing. It was something I'd secretly always wanted to do but was really never given the chance to do so.

What inspired you to become about of this fabulous growing community:

I've never played a true MMO before so being a part of an actual gaming community where you can meet other players is a pretty new experience for me.

What do you hope to accomplish in this community:
I'm still trying to sort this out but reference the above answer. I guess I'm already pretty far being a moderator of the community discord so... ?‍♂️

Any sort of in game goals you have:

I'd like to progress with my two rescue and monument based organizations, but those really require an actual game before much of anything can happen.

Before I found Dual Universe, I had been anticipating a game called Firefly Online.  It also had a science fiction setting with space travel, but the gameplay would have been very different from what was planned for DU.  When it became apparent that development of Firefly Online had stopped, I started actively searching for a new game in that genre and that is when I found DU.

Beyond being in the right genre, DU was promising many features that I found very appealing.  What stood out immediately was the building.  I have done a lot of building in games like Space Engineers and Empyrion, but it looked like the building in DU would be much for flexible than the block-based construction in those games.  It reminded me of Landmark, another game I had really enjoyed, even though building there had been limited to static structures.

The setting was also a major factor in attracting me.  I was looking for a space game, but it had to be one with people and ships with interiors those people can move through.  Games where the ships are the only avatars just do not interest me.

I also liked that it would be a very open game that would allow players to collectively make it the kind of experience they wanted it to be.  It was not going to lead everyone through the same set of stories.  It was not even going to have predefined factions or enforced conflicts.  Players would be free to organize themselves and make their own choices about combat or cooperation.

While the building and setting were what lured me in initially, as I read about the plans for organizations, for rights and duties management and for territories, I became convinced that DU was going to be more than just a good game I would enjoy playing.  My expectation is that it will be profoundly different than anything that has come before it.  As far as I know, no other game provides the tools for creating social structures as complex and extensive as I think the ones in DU will be.  I may be wrong, but anyone who equates the organizations in DU to the guilds in a typical MMO may be shocked and unprepared for what actually develops.  In case, I am very excited about the possibilities.

The one thing that made me hesitate to support DU was the PVP.  Outside of a relatively small secure area, it would allow unrestricted combat with full looting.  Honestly, I am not any good at combat, especially against other players, and I do not have enough interest in it to make any effort to become better. Some risk does make a game more exciting, but it was possible other players could choose to make DU the kind of game where I would lose everything I had whenever I ventured into space.

The social tools it would provide were what convinced me to support DU in spite of the open PVP.  I think they will encourage players to establish regions in DU where the market is more important than the military.  Just as players who are not good at building would be able to buy constructs and players who are not good at programming would be able to buy Lua scripts, I expect players, like me, who are not good at combat would be able to buy protection.  There is no guarantee that will happen, but DU provides the potential for it and I feel the changes are very good that someone will use that potential.

A phrase from the Firefly series sums up my goals rather well, "find a crew, find a job, keep flying".  The one thing I would add to that is "build a ship".  I have established an organization for that ship, the Blue Moon Crew and I am hopeful we will be able to achieve those goals when the game is released.

I’ve been following DU for many moons. I’m not sure I remember how exactly I found them but it was late 2014 or early 2015. If memory serves I was looking up new voxel based games as I was playing Landmark at the time. I recall when they first had a twitter account and joined the forums when it came out in dec 2015. 

My attraction was the voxel building I loved in Landmark and wanted to see what else could be done as Landmark was purely static builds. Still surprised at this point that there aren’t more voxel building games (and I mean not blocky voxels). 

So that’s it really. Voxels made me do it. 

Voxels were my reason too.

When Landmark got pulled, I started looking for other MMOs that would let me build and create in the way I had enjoyed so much.

The SciFi theme didn't hurt either.

You can't take the sky from me.

Personally I'm a huge sci-fi fanatic! I have a huge fascination with space science (Astronomy), something I plan on majoring on in college. I first stumbled upon DU I believe sometime last year. I found out about the game one day when I was bored and was watching a YouTube video that was showing off some upcoming mmo games, and Dual Universe was one of the games in the video. Out of all the other mmo games, DU attracted me the most. I thought a game like this is totally something I'd be happy to get into; a "Sandbox mmorpg game!" where you could build spaceships, explore different planets and colonize them, build bases, craft, mine, etc. Upon seeing DU for the first time I immediately searched up more videos on the game which brought me to the e3 2016 teaser trailer. Upon watching that trailer I could feel this game had huge potential and could go a long way if dealt with appropriately. I watched a few other YouTube videos on it such as the tutorials, developer blogs, etc. Shortly after I decided to go on the games website for further info on DU. I did stumbled upon I believe was the kickstarter packs. I said to myself that I would love to one day support the project when I get the money and a proper PC?. Sometime after that I honestly forgot about the game until last month after getting my new laptop that I wanted to support the DU project. I paid the website another visit, searched through some stuff such as new info, updates, etc; until I clicked on the play now button on the site home page which redirected me to the pledging page. I thought on it for a whole week until finally deciding to get the patron supporter pack. During my decision making I paid the forums a visit. I already since knew DU was my type of game so I created my account and then the following week got the patron pack. I'm now an official DU supporter/backer and pre-alpha tester, just recently had my first go at the game earlier this month during the 48 hour live server test and was not disappointed by how beautiful the game looks (especially considering it's still in pre-alpha). I'm still new to the game so I'm still getting the hang with how everything works so far that's been implemented so as far as in-game goals go we'll see, though I have a few ideas?

• 1 month later...

I have played many Build design craft mine games over the years I am a miner and builder by heart I want to see a mine and trade co-op of several like minded orgs to build the material reqs of the players and setup a constant cash flow for said orgs for use in research and development and crafting of personal guild projects I am looking for fellow like minded players I am not a gold member atm but I am buying in here in a few days. I have several freinds also joining who all have the same exp and same goals in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Space engineers mostly and Elite:Dangerous mostly. I was disappointed with SE's limited (And very time-consuming in survival mode) building mechanics. So I got to looking for something else like it. And, I stumbled upon this. Why I likely retained interest is the player-driven developments and faction gameplay. Ever since ED I was hungry for some real player driven politics and world actions, and I was happy to find a real player driven political sphere and devs that list a player driven economy/government as one of their main goals.

What brought me here?
One of my friends, Glasrevin, constantly pushing the guys in our outfit to take a look at the game. We eventually gave in and signed up, and boy, what a good decision that was. I've come to grow in love with the community and the game itself. What I like most is the potential for interaction that you can't see in many other games.