Attach/detach Ships parts

Raising

As a General Idea It would be nice to have the technology to have reusable ships that can dock in another ship or even going voltron ( join multiple ships to make a bigger one).

Right know iam thinking in a small spherical ship that can be attached to a ship or a station and once atached you get control of the structure. the small sphre by it shelf cant fly but can travel on the surface. Can even work as a scape pod.

THis is from tengen toppa, and when this head is atached to a bigger mecha its pilot obtain control of it.
Lagann2_9138.jpg

On 9/15/2018 at 8:27 AM, CoreVamore said:

Ships can dock inside other ships.

Smaller ships controlling larger could be a RDMS/Lua issue/challenge/solution.

Just dont expect 'mech' like ships with flailing arms and legs. ;)

Actually.

There's a bunch of ways how one can "join" ships if the engine is realistic.

The easiest part would be, to lodge a hook through a ring a few times, then to enclose it.

In theory one ship should probably pull the other ship along. And both ships shouldn't budge ... so there's no collision damage created.

One could use this to "take up" an container load for example, if it works. And drop it, by simply destryoing the ring/ hook area.

Escap epods and stuff, will be simply ships that either hide behind some kind of doors and then accerlerate and navigate on their own. When somebody steps into them and activates them.

Based on a few things. One could even make a "fake" mech move his arms. Just hook something up to it, add lots of LUA code and enjoy it going from side to side, waveing at your potential costumers.

But yeah ... we probably wont get true rotational elements. Might just be too much for server load.

I feel we are losing so many thing for the sake of a single sard server due to performance :(

In this post I am thinking about a conection to the main frame of the bigger ship

container docking is part of this

2 hours ago, Raising said:

I feel we are losing so many thing for the sake of a single sard server due to performance :(

In this post I am thinking about a conection to the main frame of the bigger ship

container docking is part of this

Its not due to the single shard universe, its due to the entire universe being voxel based.

• 2 weeks later...

Even a mag lock landing gear that you can stick your ship to another with would be cool.  If people are trying to build massive carriers and are worried that their fighters might become pinballs in the worlds most expensive pinball machine, such a thing might help them.

This will probably be possible, also container locks should be possible. I am planning on building a whole space city based on this and till now i only found evidence in all development logs and other fora entries that indeed stat the possibility to dock/link items.

If interested in what en how, just poke me