"Exploring the galaxy" during Beta...

NanoDot

In the Release Roadmap, one of the beta features is listed as:

GALAXY: reach for the stars, discover and explore new solar systems

The recent AMA expands on what will be available in beta:

There should be a few solar systems and a special, faster way to travel in between them. The exact number of systems will evolve with player base size and additional factors during that phase. A basic star map visualization should be available by this time.

Any newcomer to DU that reads the above will reasonably assume that beta is a preview of the game features that will be available at launch. So you will train some skills, do some mining, build a ship and within a month or two of starting your "life" in DU, you can set off and explore new solar systems !

However, there's also a common belief in the community that interstellar travel will only be possible once we get stargates, and that we will be confined to a single star system until the first expansion arrives. Stargates will supposedly only arrive in the first game expansion, which will probably be 8-12 months after launch...

Does that mean that Beta game play will not be an accurate reflection of the game play features available at launch ?

Or has NQ changed their plans regarding the kind of game play we can expect during the "early stages" after launch (i.e. before the first expansion) ?

Why use stargates when you have ftl engines, which cut down travel times drastically (in system from hours to minutes, to other systems from days to hours).

As ftl will possibly work somewhat like stargates (set two points in space as your start/end, but here you're not transported instantly but have to wait for the travel), it's likely that you somehow have to scan for the new system, set your end point for ftl and off you go. After some hours you're there. 

I think the Beta stage is where you check thing and edit stats so it not got too OP or too Weak, balance thing. But i think what NQ want to say that in release there only ONE spawn point system, not mean there only ONE SYSTEM for a long time after launch.

NQ confirm there will be a very basic FTL system , more complex will come along with the stargate expansion i think. The point of StarGate isnt allow you to instant build and go to other system but to reduce the time go between 2 system and thus it need you go to the other system first to ping a location there then build a StarGate at the first system so in the end it still require FTL to build Star Gate.

• 4 weeks later...

Shiori explained it the best.

But timewise ... do mind we don't know how long it takes for a solo player to get everything together for a basic spaceship with possible ftl capacity.

It might be a bit longer then a few weeks, as that is closer to the "endgame" level of tech probably. Not that there's an endgame, as it's open ended.

15 hours ago, Sofernius said:

Shiori explained it the best.

But timewise ... do mind we don't know how long it takes for a solo player to get everything together for a basic spaceship with possible ftl capacity.

It might be a bit longer then a few weeks, as that is closer to the "endgame" level of tech probably. Not that there's an endgame, as it's open ended.

Try crafting an extra resurrection node while soloing. You'll know how fast or slow you are progressing compared to an organization.

21 hours ago, Sofernius said:

An off topic idea, but I imagine larger capital class transport ships moving smaller non-ftl ships around, especially in the early days when it might be only available to the groups that can put in the funding and resources, etc, since I feel that the first version of such tech will be quite large and not fit for players personal ships. Only after the tech has been expanded upon and potentially shrunk down (if that's the case, only my minds conjecture) would it be more readily available for one man armies.

A fun thought to ponder, carry on.

Well DarkHorizon "Ferry" service maybe will bloom and be a very important service in DU i think. Especially we dont know how hard to craft one FTL and fuel for FTL engine to work, also ferry can also give you a good protection than when you fly alone.