Gun Crews

robert131997

if as JC has said previously something along the lines of 'ship weapons will have to be manned'  

instead of one man controlling some weapon system similar in size to battleship turret perhaps larger weapon systems would require multiple people to operate it 

such as in this example of a 16in 3 gun mount turret from an iowa class battleship hopefully this will illustrate my idea

however i do accept that you could thin out the number of people required and attribute it to 'technology' my meaning being for example now we have an invention called an autoloader and so there is in some circumstances no need for a gun loading man

so ultimately in the distant future on Alioth we have antigravity and 'lightbridge' like forcefields you can expect we would have more machinery available to us to mechanize our weapon systems

so say what used to take 30 man to operate  now takes 3 

perhaps also you could take the weapon system further and have a munitions factory onboard the construct to supple the main weapon system with ordnance 

that may not make very exciting gameplay though sitting in the bowels of a ship doing repetitive tasks 

so i think something like separating the sensor information from the gun crews might be interesting for example those operating the weapon systems rely on accurate targeting information passed on verbally to them the gun crews themselves would have limited targeting information 

but im not sure what kind of combat model JC has in mind from what i can remember its a stats thing  lock and fire im thinking of final fantasy and that doesnt sound very appealing to me personally 

id prefer free fire where the ordnance goes where you aim it otherwise i dont understand how or why JC would add human manual control into the mix

in conclusion my idea is to have multiple people be required to operate larger weapon systems say one man to rotate the weapon another to elevate the weapon and another to fire it 

smaller weapon systems would be one man 

and even smaller still things like CWIS  close in weapon systems would be automated CWIS in this sense is only used as a form of active defense system to destroy incoming missiles or shells

I like you idea but i think all turret must be manned can be mean that it require one to function it is aiming. We using lock and fire so 3 -4 person operate one i wonder what they do when only one man aiming.

But this idea can be use for SUPER WEAPON ( or super heavy weapon or just heavy weapon ) which require more than 1 person to operate like aiming, adjust energy level ( too much cause damage to weapon and maybe explode to damage crew, too low will cause little damage or miss ), calculate distance for energy to adjust, ... And it is Scific we didnt rotate only make the life of aiming guy difficult :< .

P.s: Super weapon (heavy weapon ) not something OP, it just something like a Rail gun need time to charge but cause large damage but not to point broken game, Area damage , EMP and more specific like cause all ship to slow in an area or the target get slow, ...

If I want to use a giant turret on my solo-ship, I want to use a giant turret on my solo-ship.

I get it that people don't want one person piloting a "ultra mega destroyer", but forcefully locking stuff behind "need moar people" is the exact opposite of emergent gameplay.

By their statement "each weapon-system have to be manned", they are indicating that they don't want any weapon-system to be automatic. "Automatic" means working by itself with no direct human control. Let's not assume that this weapon-system will be manually aimed using it's mounted sight, manually fired, and manually loaded similar to Bofors 40mm. That's just World War II! 

Let's think of a modern alternative that is manual; an RCWS(Remote Controlled Weapon System) gun with it's own optronic system and an electronic fire control computer system(console and server/interface unit all in one system) that has monitor and joystick. This optical system has no search and tracking system to remove all automatic capabilities, what it will do and is capable of, is send visual information to that FCS (fire control system) console electronically. You will fit the RCWS-gun-system in your ship and you will place the FCS-computer/console inside the control-room of your ship and you will link them together (via the Link tool). Only 1 gun can be linked to 1 computer (that means 1 person will have to operate it).

RCWS Gun

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdf-z-_FDgcfICMUzoTtS

maxresdefault.jpg

GFCS console

Dorna_operador_consolaok.jpg

300px-UYQ-21_.jpg

US_Navy_050721-N-4843B-031_Air_Traffic_C

Now what do you want the GFCS monitor to display? Something a FLIR camera displays (normal vision, night vision, thermal vision). 

ok3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Are all of these automatic like a sentry gun? No! It's electronically manual! 

Are the guns invinsible? No! Go take out the control-room, it's common sense! If you don't know where the control-room is, go find it and take it out!

Now that is what we call manual and modern at the same time. I don't wanna see World War II or else this game will turn out like Star Wars with it's 70's concepts.

And do not call these guns "RCWS" because that term is trademarked. Think of another name to call these remote-controlled guns.

Can't wait til we get closer to PvP so we can get an idea of how it's going to work. For now I'm lost for how it'll all work out with only it being "lock and fire" and each weapon needing to be manned being mentioned.  Can next year hurry up and come around please!

On 9/5/2018 at 12:11 AM, Eternal said:

Let's think of a modern alternative that is manual; an RCWS(Remote Controlled Weapon System)

eternal i agree with the majority of what you outlined except however in the case of the close in weapons system which for me in game id only like to see it used as a hard kill anti missile system

i still feel that such systems should be automatic given that they would be  shooting at incredibly fast and maneuverable projectiles

and the examples of the weapons systems you gave looked to me like medium caliber  secondary point defense guns and i was talking about gun crews being required for large primary main weapon systems such as the 16in guns given in my example 

I think there should be differed between turret and point defense turrets, as I don't see a manned point defend turret against missiles and possibly fighter a good thing, as ships need way to big crews, if it is a rule like one gun per man. And if you don't want big ships to be piloted by one thing, as I don't want to, than there is plenty of roles to fill in. Not all on military ships are for using their guns, there is the engine, fire control teams and such. And even automated weapon system should have personal watching it function correct. So even if we want it to be sci-fi, we still have reasons for being more people on big ships and I don't even talk about having carrier capacity and dozens of fighter wanted to be manned.

Also if ship battle isn't stationary, like being side to side and firing the crap out of each other, then at least one person should only be focusing on maneuvering that big metal junk, so it isn't rammed into an asteroid, or other ships.

As an example, what I would think about gun crew is, that let's say one person could use five guns, but they all can only target one ship. This way, we have "gun crews" in some way, for it to use whatever button it is to automatically fire the turrets, but we also don't need hundreds of people to operate each ship. So that even if two organizations are fighting each other, that people who don't like pvp/firing guns can still do other things, while the other can have their fun in destroying each other’s creation. Meaning, we can have even in war times have a variety of play stiles and have  more fun.

Completely different is it with small fighter like vessels, there should be fixed guns for those, to only shoot in one direction, then they could be only with one person, but if they have a turret, then there should be two person in it.

This all is, if the battle system is somewhat dynamic, so that the ships are moving and not just stand stills in a fight. I would prefer it that way, as it sounds more fun to me this way, and would add more immersive to the game. Also I think, with how firing weapons work in dual universe it could get pretty boring, if 200 people on a huge ship are just hitting some buttons for firing if they have to repeat the progress for a long time.

• 1 month later...

I think it would also be interesting if there were different types of weapon systems, Lasers, Artillery (gun powder projectile style or something like it), Railguns, EMP weapons but like someone else said maybe just if it slowed down everyone instead of everyone can't move since that's a little OP but maybe it disables large energy type weapons or something like that. I also think that having animals in the game would be cool, maybe not taming and all that stuff (would be kinda cool to have a pet alien) but possibly have a cage of wild animals that you set loose on enemy planet based outposts. 

On 9/5/2018 at 1:11 AM, Eternal said:

By their statement "each weapon-system have to be manned", they are indicating that they don't want any weapon-system to be automatic. "Automatic" means working by itself with no direct human control. Let's not assume that this weapon-system will be manually aimed using it's mounted sight, manually fired, and manually loaded similar to Bofors 40mm. That's just World War II! 

Let's think of a modern alternative that is manual; an RCWS(Remote Controlled Weapon System) gun with it's own optronic system and an electronic fire control computer system(console and server/interface unit all in one system) that has monitor and joystick. This optical system has no search and tracking system to remove all automatic capabilities, what it will do and is capable of, is send visual information to that FCS (fire control system) console electronically. You will fit the RCWS-gun-system in your ship and you will place the FCS-computer/console inside the control-room of your ship and you will link them together (via the Link tool). Only 1 gun can be linked to 1 computer (that means 1 person will have to operate it).

RCWS Gun

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdf-z-_FDgcfICMUzoTtS

maxresdefault.jpg

GFCS console

Dorna_operador_consolaok.jpg

300px-UYQ-21_.jpg

US_Navy_050721-N-4843B-031_Air_Traffic_C

Now what do you want the GFCS monitor to display? Something a FLIR camera displays (normal vision, night vision, thermal vision). 

ok3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Are all of these automatic like a sentry gun? No! It's electronically manual! 

Are the guns invinsible? No! Go take out the control-room, it's common sense! If you don't know where the control-room is, go find it and take it out!

Now that is what we call manual and modern at the same time. I don't wanna see World War II or else this game will turn out like Star Wars with it's 70's concepts.

And do not call these guns "RCWS" because that term is trademarked. Think of another name to call these remote-controlled guns.

We will see some starwars fights ingame still :3.

Well one guy per "gun" is gonna be a thing, if you want it to be most efficient.

But the main reason will be ... space battle is to hard for most people. It's easyer to sit still and shot at each other from bigships and have some fighters roam around them.

True space battle would be to fast for a human to react too ... past a certain combined speed.

The best comparision how our space battles will be like, is battle star galactica xD.

Outside of the few people that will attack you enroute and battle you for real in "space".

I picture battles more like “The Expanse.”  Quick. Speed in space will prolly be dumb fast making blockaids all but useless. Time to take the one shot you have will be a second. Even if a weapon takes time to load I foresee you’ll have plenty of time to reload before getting back in a firing position. Like two air hockey pucks trying to shoot each other. 

Best combat bat will most likely be in slower atmo speeds, or ground combat.