Building classic suacer shaped spacecraft and others

Hacker101

I have seen and watched my fair share of the DU trailers, teasers and pre-alpha gameplay clips and all of the spacecraft, at least the small ones I've seen are all shaped like jets and planes. I ws wondering if anyone else plans on building spacecraft shaped like the classic flying saucer:

Fake-UFO-587625.jpg

Or the triangle kind:

tr3b2.jpg

42 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

SShhhhh I'm not going to tell..... :P

And I'm not going to build one of these.....

4df7d5cdee12723cf8525a3b9e48a772.jpg

Which may, or may not, include a Gort  ;)

I'm just itching to build a mothership and fly it around like no tomorrow

1 hour ago, Kuritho said:

Thanks for making target practice easier by choosing these designs!

---

Please do not make ships with obvious weakpoints. That'd be a really bad idea.

As the targeting system in DU is meant to be lock/chance/skill/hit based I dont think the shape of the ship will make much, if any, difference ;)

3 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

As the targeting system in DU is meant to be lock/chance/skill/hit based I dont think the shape of the ship will make much, if any, difference ;)

I doubt every gun at post-launch would be targeted, and I also doubt every gun at post-launch would not deal direct voxel damage.

Also, if you have an AoE dumbfire weapon targeted at the system's main elements because somebody thought the DP-28 "Dinnerplate" magazine was a good idea for a ship...

3 hours ago, Kuritho said:

I doubt every gun at post-launch would be targeted, and I also doubt every gun at post-launch would not deal direct voxel damage.

Also, if you have an AoE dumbfire weapon targeted at the system's main elements because somebody thought the DP-28 "Dinnerplate" magazine was a good idea for a ship...

I'm sure as the building system develops it'll allow ships with unique designs and shapes to be created and not be so easily destroyed

4 hours ago, Kuritho said:

See u on the battlefield with my dumb design then  ;)

1 hour ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I doubt the overall shape of a ship is going to affect its structural strength.  That would be cool though.

But the circle and triangle have to be two of the strongest shapes out there.

Just sayin'

That's for buildings.

A giant sphere Destiny-style isn't really the best idea. (Look at the Deathstar ;))

And triangles are more for bridges.

The efficient designs are designs that are specialized for a specific attribute. A sphere is one of the best basic shapes for drag and such, but with streamlined (teardrop) bodies (almost) every basic shape becomes obsolete.

Of course then you have "ease of building" and such, so basic shaped ships would probably come on top.

Actually, if designed and built by competent people (unlike basically all of the Star Wars staff), a sphere would actually be a good shape for a spaceship. It's low surface area to volume ratio would decrease its cross section while keeping volume for internals high, and its consistant radius  means it is able to have a relatively low moment of inertia all around, allowing the ship to rotate quickly, especially important in Newtonian space combat. 

The drawbacks would be that the nuclear reactor and engine, emitting lots of heat and ionizing radiation, would be within the main hull...

2 hours ago, 0something0 said:

The drawbacks would be that the nuclear reactor and engine, emitting lots of heat and ionizing radiation, would be within the main hull... 

Probably not a drawback as, afaik, no engine, nor system, in DU emits any radiation. So we are good to go with engines etc within the main hull.

Who knows, by that time line they may have really good shielding tech that allows that to happen.