Alioth Map on Website

robert131997

14 hours ago, Kuritho said:

Scope-creep.

It wastes resources that could be used on more important things,

Can you clarify what you mean by scope creep I have never head that before I don't know what it means 

And as for wasting resources I don't think they would be wasting much because the have already created the map they would just need to get it running on the website granted I don't know how the made that map and what coding language it runs on or even if it can be defined in that way so it could be much more difficult to bring to the website

However I believe it would be a useful tool for the community and potential interested persons it would show that dual universe is becoming a living breathing universe constantly changing it would showcase emergent gameplay in a more visual way than the text based form currently present in the shape of community organisation pages I also believe it would prove a useful tool for organisations to keep up to date with the dynamic emerging politics of Alioth

I would like to see a map of the current global situation with live updates on a web site and/ or App for mobile devises .

- like a news station reporting on current wars if x amount of fire power is spent in x amount of time with x amount of players in a area of x size. 

- and give faction owned space station a area of influence based on the people in faction and the strength of the shielding of the stations to determine the power and controle they have of a specific area. to color the map of the universe.

as for the resource drain on the system, with my minimal understanding of programming and knowledge of the language involved in the game and how to make this work...

i would say that they would have to use data bases to get information out of the game that would already be in place, and the rest of the software would not interfere with the game itself.

so the extra strain on the system would be minimal if thee would be a extra server for this purpose. 

Right?

@Lethys, Would the community have acces to the information needed to create a map like that?

42 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Can't talk about that Here because of NDA

im assuming we cant talk in depth about actual dual universe map features and design 

however that said.. surely we are allowed to speculate based on what information has been legally and publicly shared i will admit now i have not read the NDA but i have no intention to break it 

this also makes me think about how this affects BOO's mapping system is it in violation of the NDA i hope it is not i like what i saw in that youtube link and it is exactly the resource i was proposing 

2 hours ago, Penta8 said:

and give faction owned space station a area of influence based on the people in faction and the strength of the shielding of the stations to determine the power and controle they have of a specific area

clarify?

2 hours ago, Penta8 said:

like a news station reporting on current wars if x amount of fire power is spent in x amount of time with x amount of players in a area of x size

maybe a News Org will step up with mobile reporters and 'billboard/television' ships (like advertising blimps) to dispense the news to citizens or reporters pass news bulletins to the  public screen operators of populated areas

5 hours ago, robert131997 said:

emergent gameplay

Emergent gameplay isn't that. Emergent gameplay is when you have multi-layer situations deriving from multiple game mechanics, or more simply put "complex stuff from simple stuff."

Having a map and using it isn't emergent. It's called using a map.

Can you clarify what you mean by scope creep

Scope creep is when a project gets out of hand by following a different direction or adding unnecessary (or features that can literally be coded in by a player) features.

And as for wasting resources I don't think they would be wasting much because the have already created the map they would just need to get it running on the website granted

Adding catpeople doesn't waste much resources, but should they? Totally. But should they make a globe-map that updates, wasting resources? No.

Verdict: Cat People will show the way.

4 hours ago, robert131997 said:

clarify?

@robert131997 to determine the power and controle they have of a specific area,

might be an idea to color code by faction and the size and shape of the displayed area on the map could linked to the shielding strength of the space station . saw on youtube that space station will be able to get shielding that is probably expensive and can scale up very high on power consumption). so was thinking that this could be used with size of faction, or something like that... to paint the map on a macro scale

On 8/25/2018 at 8:00 PM, Penta8 said:

size and shape of the displayed area on the map could linked to the shielding strength of the space station . saw on youtube that space station will be able to get shieldin

Are you saying you want to visually represent the strength of territory shielding that has a predefined maximum size by showing it to cover more area on the map the stronger it is this doesn't make sense to me..