Gamescom 2018 MeetUp Discussion

Agilulf

There doesn't seem to be a discussion about the (outside of) Gamescom MeetUp itself yet.

According to NQs announcement, the MeetUp will take place at the "Ludwig im Museum Restaurant" (near the Cathedral in Cologne) and start around 20:30 (local time) on Thursday, August 23rd.

At least 7 NQ staff members will mingle with DU fans there and J.C. Baillie plans on doing a live-streamed AMA. Questions can be sent in advance to community@novaquark.com - and maybe posted in the thread "Alpha Roadmap AMA Questions" (i'm actually unsure if it's supposed to be the same AMA).

As for the evening MeetUp itself, about 30 people participated in the poll - it's unclear how many will show up. I hope NQ planned ahead for the masses. ;)

I will be in Cologne the whole day, but not actually visit Gamescom. I'm wondering if there is any interest in doing an afternoon "MeetUp before the MeetUp" with other visitors.

Otherwise i'm looking forward to meeting people in the evening. Let's declare some wars.

Question is, where would such a meeting take place, if not at the same location (probably the easiest measure without additional effort of then moving to the main event, even if it was nearby)?

Then again doing it elsewhere but relatively nearby can add a certain sightseeing factor for people who have never been there.

Do political or business talks as you climb all the stairs of the Cologne dome to the top! (joke suggestion unless you are into that)

I will arrive at thursday morning in cologne, going to the gamescom. In the evening i will be at the meeting with NQ. 

What about we meet up earlier at about 19:00 local time (7 pm) at the "Wasserspielplatz in der Altstadt" near the hotel? https://goo.gl/maps/mkDnjfta9Kt. For those who have nothing else to do or want to participate with other noveans? ;-)

This place to meet up is much cheaper as in a bar or restaurant. We also have no sitting trouble.

We'll, if people don't mind beer, there's an Irish pub I recently visited nearby. You can sit inside or if you prefer, in front of it. It is a few minutes away on foot whether from the train station, dome or main event location as they are all next to each other in essence.

I'm sure other "locals" have other ideas or suggestions. What i like the most is that you have many areas of interest close by there in general.

2 hours ago, Warden said:

We'll, if people don't mind beer, there's an Irish pub I recently visited nearby. You can sit inside or if you prefer, in front of it. It is a few minutes away on foot whether from the train station, dome or main event location as they are all next to each other in essence.

I'm sure other "locals" have other ideas or suggestions. What i like the most is that you have many areas of interest close by there in general.

Get a beer out of your bag ;-) It is only 1,5 hours till the meeting will start.

Well, meeting shortly before the MeetUp in a park next to it wasn't really what I had in mind. ;)

If there's interest we can go the Irish Pub Warden mentioned or pick some other "base of inoperation" and just hang out there. And then people can join however it is convenient for them.

We can still visit VValdmeister's park an hour before the MeetUp to group up with other people.

But let's just pick a bar for the afternoon and I will take territory control of a nice table there.

The Irish pub I referred to is "The Corkonian" by the way, at Heumarkt. Forgot the name, had to look it up again.

Use (search engine of your liking here) image search to see some pictures. Should it be too packed or not to someone's interior liking, we can also sit outside in front of it.  You better be 20 or something, just for the record. I assume those who'd be interested to meet prior are.

I don't know many other locations but I heard there's also some kind of E-Sports or gaming oriented bar called "Meltdown". Never been there but it is also sadly not really within walking distance of the area of the central station and main event so might rather be out of the picture unless you want to use bus or tram. Easy for me as I have a ticket, but additional costs for those who have none.

Is still mentioned if anyone ever wants to check it out.

7 hours ago, Warden said:

The Irish pub I referred to is "The Corkonian" by the way, at Heumarkt. Forgot the name, had to look it up again.

Use (search engine of your liking here) image search to see some pictures. Should it be too packed or not to someone's interior liking, we can also sit outside in front of it.  You better be 20 or something, just for the record. I assume those who'd be interested to meet prior are.

I don't know many other locations but I heard there's also some kind of E-Sports or gaming oriented bar called "Meltdown". Never been there but it is also sadly not really within walking distance of the area of the central station and main event so might rather be out of the picture unless you want to use bus or tram. Easy for me as I have a ticket, but additional costs for those who have none.

Is still mentioned if anyone ever wants to check it out.

I like the sound of this place, and it's only 7 minutes from my hotel.

I'm actually flying in from Austin, TX. It's a fun 18-hour trip to get there :P

On 17.8.2018 at 5:58 PM, Warden said:

The Irish pub I referred to is "The Corkonian"

Perfect, we'll rename it to "The Novean". ;)

I guess it's the plan for now. I will go there and wait for people to show up. Further details next week, shouldn't be that complicated.

(The alternative eSports place doesn't open until 18/6pm)

On 8/18/2018 at 1:20 AM, yamamushi said:

I like the sound of this place, and it's only 7 minutes from my hotel.

I'm actually flying in from Austin, TX. It's a fun 18-hour trip to get there :P

Out of curiosity, you are taking that trip for gamescom in general, rite?

I'd tip my hat but also think you are crazy if all that was just for the evening event :P

Regardless it should be a new nice trip. I kinda vividly remember your description of your San Francisco trip; Cologne central is like a walk in the park in comparison.

Assuming I can make it without last minute interruptions or surprises I will see anyone at the Irish pub at about 7 PM or slightly earlier. Or at the main event at the latest.

Kinda will be decided if I can make it till tomorrow morning or something.

6 hours ago, Warden said:

Out of curiosity, you are taking that trip for gamescom in general, rite?

I'd tip my hat but also think you are crazy if all that was just for the evening event :P

Regardless it should be a new nice trip. I kinda vividly remember your description of your San Francisco trip; Cologne central is like a walk in the park in comparison.

Assuming I can make it without last minute interruptions or surprises I will see anyone at the Irish pub at about 7 PM or slightly earlier. Or at the main event at the latest.

Kinda will be decided if I can make it till tomorrow morning or something.

I am a little crazy lol, but it was soooo worth it 

You wanna be there about four and a half hours? :P

I'd be hard pressed since I go to GC. Due to delays I'll sadly be there around 12 PM, so that wouldn't leave me much room to look if we were to formally start "that early". How about 6PM? 5PM? Unless we just say "Come whenever you want or can", although I prefer to be there when it starts :P

Well yes, it was meant as a "come whenever you want", nothing formal about it. I have nothing better to do (Cologne isn't that interesting) and it's a good place to wait. No idea if anyone will even show up, so you might still be the first if you come at 6. ;)