Repair Blueprint & Repairs Tank

CoreVamore

HI Team

Situation: You are a member of a ship crew, mid battle, you know that parts of the engine and wing are shot to hell and about to fail. But you are inside the ship and unable to repair an item through the hull of a ship. Going for a space walk to repair them risks you being flung of into space as the ship is still under fire and manoeuvring heavily. Are you about to become the spoils of war?

Solution - Part 1: 

From your arm console you select the repair option and then select the ships 'Repair Blueprint'. You zoom into the throbbing red part of the blueprint, click on it, and the blueprint, knowing your current position in the ship, guides your arm and repair tool targeting sensors to triangulate and make the repairs to the selected area/part - no matter what physically lays between you, and the part that needs repair.

Now your repair tools range will be determined by:

• your characters repair range skill as well as
  • whatever upgrades/enhancements are actually on your repair tool.
  • Any bonuses that the RT gives you, described below.

The above is combined with.....

Solution - Part 2:

Ships can be complex beasts, and as a designated Ship Repair Technician, you may not have all the materials needed to repair the ship on you. Here we introduce the "Repairs Tank", or RT for short.

When a ship repair technician enters a ship, assuming the ships RDMS system has them as repair crew, they must link to the ships The Repairs Tank, RT, for this system to work. (Would be a horrible realisation to make in the midst of battle that you still needed to do it..... oh what fun! :P )

Naturally the ships owner should ensure that essential materials to repair the ship are in the RT for the system to work as expected. The ships RDMS might also allow ship repair technicians to add materials into the RT.

The ships owner also needs to mate the RT with the ships Repair Blueprint. This mating becomes the key to repairs as it ensures that material in the RT can ONLY be used to repair that particular ships blueprint. (This mating might also be done at the ships construction stage - not sure about this as its a decision that NQ would have to make)

As mentioned in Part 1, the RT may also have some 'repair field enhancement' that allows it to improve a repair tools focusing field and hence boost range, or speed, or both. The level of an RT may also determine how many concurrent users it can support - this might be related to the size of an RT. Small, medium, large and holy crap! :D

This would allow for various enhancements/tech levels on an RT, potentially making the difference between repairing an engine before it blows, and the death of a ship.

This ships equipped with an RT may be a harder ship to destroy, assuming the ship repair technicians are on their game.

So what do you guys think? Are the Repair Blueprints and Repairs Tanks ideas a good addition to game play within DU?

NQ, is this something worth working on?

Cheers :)

I think it is better that you must go outside to repair it ... All the fully repair should be handle by hand ( or at properly place not during the battle).

So i think ( suggest) that your suggestion only fix a small or medium the part that got damage, not fully as you have to do either by hand or some properly place with auto repair.

Also with your thread i want to add more suggestion that is 'temporary push limit' . It isnt increast or boost limit, it just a think that when part of your ship ( etc: engine ) is damage heavily so it working so low or not working, this will boost the part to run to medium or fully function for a period then when it expire it will cause heavy more damage to the part.

16 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

I think it is better that you must go outside to repair it ... All the fully repair should be handle by hand ( or at properly place not during the battle).

I'm not even sure that the DU engine is able to allow players to walk on the surface of a ship that is doing heavy manoeuvres without deathly consequences to the player.

13 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

not fully as you have to do either by hand or some properly place with auto repair.

As far as I know in DU it is only repair by hand, there is no auto repair in any form, so repairing in the midst of battle will/is definitely a thing to be doing. NQ has even said it would be.

My suggestion is just an extension of what they are planning. ;)

10 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

I'm not even sure that the DU engine is able to allow players to walk on the surface of a ship that is doing heavy manoeuvres without deathly consequences to the player.

WEll then my suggestion, temporary to push the limit of that part, but in the end it will damage the part more or even destroy but it would worth in the matter of death and life.

6 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

WEll then my suggestion, temporary to push the limit of that part, but in the end it will damage the part more or even destroy but it would worth in the matter of death and life.

That's a totally different mechanic (overheating, over driving etc) that has nothing to do with what I am proposing.

Remember what I am proposing is just basically an extension of what NQ has said they had in mind as far as game play goes.

I think that I agree with what ShioriStein is saying. Combat should be about combat, and with bigger, tougher ships, the capability to repair could extend fights to ridiculous points, where damage is barely being done, and nothing is being accomplished. Repairs should happen after a fight is over. This lets players focus on the fight, especially when there are massive ships that can already really take a beating. Players can get in fighters or manually control turrets for better efficiency. The other thing that this does is make fights more risky. Not being able to repair mid-combat means that you can't just take a fight without thinking about it. Could they have reinforcements? Could we lose our ship? This makes the game less about PvP, and more about diplomacy. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THERE WONT BE ANY PVP. The point of combat IRL (and how it should be in games) is when diplomacy has failed. Just because your ship is bigger than theirs and they broke your trade contract doesn't mean that you should blow them out of water. Maybe you convince them to give the you another shipment for free, while threatening them with your bigger ship. Maybe you disable their engines and force them to limp back home, taking more of their resources, even if the it's only time. Maybe they are stubborn and refuse to acknowledge the infraction. Guess what. Now you should blow them up. They made a mistake, you need to show them that no one messes with you. However, this is your last resort, because you will become weakened in the fight, and could be picked off by another ship, even if it is weaker than yours. PvP has an effect even where there is no PvP, because there is always the threat of what COULD happen. The capability to repair mid-fight limits that threat, and that can result in the entire universe becoming more PvP oriented, because there is now no longer a penalty for engaging in combat, and people will resort to it much quicker. The point of DU is to be a dynamic universe where all will thrive. Guess who loses in a more PvP oriented world. Traders, miners, farmers, construction contractors, etc. When the world is less PvP based, the pirate with the bigger ship will still get the shipment from the trader, just not necessarily from blowing it out of their cargo hold. The threat of PvP lingers, but doesn't prosper, letting everyone thrive.

17 hours ago, ZuesAwoken said:

I think that I agree with what ShioriStein is saying. Combat should be about combat, and with bigger, tougher ships, the capability to repair could extend fights to ridiculous points, where damage is barely being done, and nothing is being accomplished. Repairs should happen after a fight is over. This lets players focus on the fight, esp

*** snip ***

Everything you said above is just stating the obvious and has really nothing to do with the proposed extension to what NQ has already said will be a  game mechanic, i.e. trying to repair your ship in mid battle. It is no different to nanites in Eve Online and repair systems in other games.

It just adds another layer to strategy, something else that a potential attacker needs to consider. Could it make for a long, drawn out battle - yes it could. But that in itself is part of warfare. For example: World War 1 was heavily into trench warfare, with battles killing thousands, just to get their line of trenches a few meters forward.

You might not be kitted out to handle that form of battle, just the same as you may have ship armor to handle damage type 1, yet the attacker is hitting you with damage type 2.....  and you die. It Rock/Paper/Scissors - thats warfare, thats life ;)

For now I like the idea of manual repairs, except it might be a good idea to have a more automated repair process on a base, maybe a factory unit could repair, or a separate repair unit that uses cargo to source the needed materials.

2 hours ago, Haunty said:

For now I like the idea of manual repairs, except it might be a good idea to have a more automated repair process on a base, maybe a factory unit could repair, or a separate repair unit that uses cargo to source the needed materials.

There is nothing stopping my idea from being used on a base either, just nothing automatic, all by hand, as NQ has envisioned ;)