self replicating robots

spaceDJ

what if you could make a self replicating robot that could mine fight and travel to other worlds it could take over plants it would be like a plague  

Take over plants you say.

No, you can't make that in DUAL. For pretty obvious reasons.

awww but why not

Because, you can't put a factory inside a spaceship and expect that spaceship to be able to take initiave and have tactics and be able to identify where it wants to go. Not in Lua obviously.

Making drones and making the Terminators, are two different subjects.

if you made a self replicating robot that can get whatever it needs to make itself by itself and it can defend itself then it would just spread like a bacteria and consume everything in its path.

it could eat up whole worlds by just gathering resources to build its self. it would attack anything that gets in its whay 

As cool as this sounds, exponential growth says no. 2 robots, then 4, then 8, then 16 ...4096, 8192. They may be limited by resources but it is still a massive concern that given the right circumstances they could very quickly tank the servers, regardless of their technical claims.

I don't think self replicating drones would be bad if there are restrictions in place to prevent you from abusing them.

I have a very particular idea how to mange drones you can read about it here feel free to participate.

I don't think self replicating drones would be bad if there are restrictions in place to prevent you from abusing them.

I have a very particular idea how to mange drones you can read about it here feel free to participate.

It's called fuel and re-supplying the drones with ammo / power cells.

As amusing as it would be to sit back with a bag of popcorn and watch the chaos unfold I must say that this is something that should not be in the game, and this is coming from someone who's all for the idea of NPC's running ships, mining, and even building certain things.
Maybe a very watered down and less universally destructive version of self-replicating robots... or maybe not...

having self replicating robot would make jobs because people would need them to be destroyed 

There's going to be enough to do just setting up Alioth and the first stargates. In a universe that's bound to be full of factional fighting, why would someone who wants to be a merchant (yo!) want even more enemies to have to avoid aside from pirates and the fleets of empires?