woodster

Just now, CoreVamore said:

Im not sure if in game chat extends to distances involved for ship to ship comms. So a directed hail could be a good idea.

Normally, a directed "hail" would, in terms of sci-fi tropes, indicate close proximity.

Though, I certainly wouldn't mind a simple system of messaging, or whispering rather, constructs - automatically reaching the crew rather than to having figure out who's on and then messaging them. Indeed.

I don't know if there are any plans for VoIP or anything of the sort. And video-feed would surely be out of the question, technically speaking.

3 minutes ago, Thokan said:

Normally, a directed "hail" would, in terms of sci-fi tropes, indicate close proximity.

Close is relative.... close could be 100+ km, which i think would be far outside of any local chat ranges - unless the local chat range increases in space.

10 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

Close is relative.... close could be 100+ km, which i think would be far outside of any local chat ranges - unless the local chat range increases in space.

Viewing distance, then. Wouldn't really see the point of any such mechanic otherwise.

1 hour ago, Thokan said:

Viewing distance, then. Wouldn't really see the point of any such mechanic otherwise.

By the time you get to viewing distance the potential enemy is right on top of you which is too late to work out friend or foe. Your instruments (radar etc) will see the other ship a long time before you can eyeball them. ?

How to hail:

-Whisper to the leader

-Send a discord chat into the org's discord

-Shoot them

-Send a text msg via Lua's broadcasting

-Board them for the motherland

-Assimilate them into your org

-Send smoke signals

-Messages written in blood

-Mailing a letter to them

-With a giant LCD screen.