Physical financial securities

BandaTalk

My idea is for securities such as stocks and bonds to be held as physical items, such as they would’ve been held as physical certificates in times past in the real world.  This would allow players to conduct finance is a far more secure manner and also give the holders of these securities incentive to protect and honor them.  

This would also also allow the set of of trade hubs specifically dedicated to trading securities and would essentially be a DU stock market.  

I’d think this would be relatively easy to implement, but maybe not.  What are everyone’s opinions on this?  

1 hour ago, ShioriStein said:

Aside from currency ( which is non physical in DU ) everything else is physical in DU.

I guess I could create unique certificates just like one would create a unique ship and then sell it.  

The Terran Union folks aren’t gonna be happy with high taxes, bonds could be a more popular means of raising revenues for their activities in game.  The Terran Union could issue their version of Treasury Notes and Treasury Bills.  Same with BOB and all the other orgs also.  

1 hour ago, BandaTalk said:

Exactly!  Imagine the VoC vs Pirates but in space.  

I don't know what that is but alrighty, sounds like lots of people are going to be needing rescuing after that fight. ^_^

14 minutes ago, DarkHorizon said:

I don't know what that is but alrighty, sounds like lots of people are going to be needing rescuing after that fight. ^_^

The VoC is also known as the Dutch East India Trading Company, the world first multinational corporation and the world’s first publicly listed company.  The pirates are the guys from Pirates of the Caribbean.  

2 hours ago, Thokan said:

I think, naturally, it would be a world of hurt and grief to allow people to buy and sell ownership of organizations.

It didnt different from selling your account.

A mechanism for ownership of organizations has already been announced.  Being a legate will mean being an owner of the organization.  How would these stocks fit with that system? 

I think it would be a good idea to be able to exchange a legateship in the market.  If that is not possible, it would still happen informally with one player agreeing to make another a legate for a certain amount of quanta.  With an informal transaction, there is always the  possibility one player does not fulfill their part of the deal.  Going through the market would ensure no one is cheated.  However, I do not see the advantage of introducing another in-game object to do that.

On 8/10/2018 at 10:42 AM, Ben Fargo said:

A mechanism for ownership of organizations has already been announced.  Being a legate will mean being an owner of the organization.  How would these stocks fit with that system? 

It wouldn't. The stocks and bonds the OP are describing wouldn't give you any control over the org, just a monetary share of it.

5 hours ago, 0something0 said:

It wouldn't. The stocks and bonds the OP are describing wouldn't give you any control over the org, just a monetary share of it.

Then the question is, where would this money come from?

On 8/13/2018 at 4:29 AM, Thokan said:

Then the question is, where would this money come from?

from the investors of the organization, if they would work like in the real world. An Organization that needs money to fund some project or something, would issue out a set number of stocks for a set price.

20 minutes ago, Vonboy said:

from the investors of the organization, if they would work like in the real world. An Organization that needs money to fund some project or something, would issue out a set number of stocks for a set price.

Or have a player run bank underwrite the IPO on their behalf.  An org first going public would probably want to minimize their risk as much as possible.  

7 minutes ago, BandaTalk said:

Or have a player run bank underwrite the IPO on their behalf.  An org first going public would probably want to minimize their risk as much as possible.  

Ill be in charge of the bank, till it gets enough money in there and, well, i might just dissapear.... along with da moneys  ;)

19 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

Ill be in charge of the bank, till it gets enough money in there and, well, i might just dissapear.... along with da moneys  ;)

A million quanta is cool, but you know what’s really cool.......?  

Scams are great, but if you want to make really moneys.  Institutional control kinda moneys, you need to build trust and incentivize rational behavior.  Be transparent and put large amounts of your own money into the enterprise.  

I wouldnt invest in a DU bank that didn’t have any of these in a million years.  Commercial, retail and private banking are all unnecessary in DU and are all definitely a scam.  

1 hour ago, BandaTalk said:

A million quanta is cool, but you know what’s really cool.......?  

Scams are great, but if you want to make really moneys.  Institutional control kinda moneys, you need to build trust and incentivize rational behavior.  Be transparent and put large amounts of your own money into the enterprise.  

I wouldnt invest in a DU bank that didn’t have any of these in a million years.  Commercial, retail and private banking are all unnecessary in DU and are all definitely a scam.  

How dare u say my bank is a scam! Now, just walk over here as I've got a great deal on a bridge I would like to sell you  ;)

40 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

How dare u say my bank is a scam! Now, just walk over here as I've got a great deal on a bridge I would like to sell you  ;)

Lol.  Pretty much any and all player run commercial banks in these games are scams and even they aren’t intended to be originally, they almost always end up becoming a scam anyways.  

Anyone who deposits their money in a bank with zero assurance is just dumb.  

47 minutes ago, BandaTalk said:

Lol.  Pretty much any and all player run commercial banks in these games are scams and even they aren’t intended to be originally, they almost always end up becoming a scam anyways.  

Anyone who deposits their money in a bank with zero assurance is just dumb.  

Sooo... do you want the bridge or not?  ;)