Did someone say.... Wednesday? :O

yamamushi

I have to say that i'm very disappointed about the NDA not being removed for the alphas. The entire year of 2019 aswell the rest of 2018 without getting any news, updates and gameplay content will probably hurt this project since this is an indie MMO initiative and those desperately need the constant public attention to build a stable playerbase and not lose it's momentum. Even i that contributed a little bit to the crowdfunding lost my interest after this forum went desert and the game footage became rare because of the NDA.

This is an MMO and as such it's not usually the type of a game you can share with other projects from the same genre since it demands a lot of our time to be invested to achieve something and actually have some fun. The fear of players getting the "wrong impression" of the game from the alphas would probably be a better risk than going dark for one year and half and having players moving on to the next MMO in development, where we can actually see stuff happening. Unless the server still lags constantly and the PvP combat is completely underwhelming i don't see a reason to put the alphas inside a secure vault. Bad move in my opinion. But that's it, just my opinion. I hope i'm wrong.

Its disappointing, but its by no means unheard of for a game following the traditional test phases to remain in a NDA state while in alpha, NQ is keeping its promise to the supporters though in that they will be letting anyone who backed during KS to join the alpha in waves. The reasoning for the NDA remains the same, and imho its for the best given the landscape of the gaming community at large. 

16 minutes ago, Demonneo said:

I have to say that i'm very disappointed about the NDA not being removed for the alphas. The entire year of 2019 aswell the rest of 2018 without getting any news, updates and gameplay content will probably hurt this project since this is an indie MMO initiative and those desperately need the constant public attention to build a stable playerbase and not lose it's momentum. Even i that contributed a little bit to the crowdfunding lost my interest after this forum went desert and the game footage became rare because of the NDA.

This is an MMO and as such it's not usually the type of a game you can share with other projects from the same genre since it demands a lot of our time to be invested to achieve something and actually have some fun. The fear of players getting the "wrong impression" of the game from the alphas would probably be a better risk than going dark for one year and half and having players moving on to the next MMO in development, where we can actually see stuff happening. Unless the server still lags constantly and the PvP combat is completely underwhelming i don't see a reason to put the alphas inside a secure vault. Bad move in my opinion. But that's it, just my opinion. I hope i'm wrong.

I mean I do agree that yes we should at least show videos and livestreams of the alphas. But I do have a bad gut feeling that many people will quickly judge it regardless of the many disclaimers, that can look bad for potential new players. But that’s just me thinking.

I'm thinking this might not be that bad.

Remember, this game is kind of going under the radar right now (Heck, I didn't even hear of this game till a week ago.) Most gamers still don't know that this game exists. I feel like they could get away with this, as long as they are prepared to launch a massive marketing campaign whenever they decide to drop the NDA. This way, they can reach a lot more people, who haven't heard of the game before, when the game is closer to a finished state, and actually looks good, with servers that aren't lagging anymore, with more features and less bugs.

It seems like this is kind of what JC wanted, too. From all the videos and text I've read on this game, it sounds like JC didn't want to make too much of a fuss while initially funding this game. He stopped the crowdfunding for a time, when he felt he had enough funds to go ahead with the project, and he wanted to avoid adding stretch goals and feature-creep, instead wanting to focus on getting the initial game ready, with what he did promise would be able to work for the release, and then focus on other features later.

Now, they will probably loose some people who already pledged, but that is only a bit over 30,000 right now, much less than the tens or hundreds of thousands they could pull in later.

20 minutes ago, PrinceChawmin said:

I mean I do agree that yes we should at least show videos and livestreams of the alphas. But I do have a bad gut feeling that many people will quickly judge it regardless of the many disclaimers, that can look bad for potential new players. But that’s just me thinking.

Have to side with you here.  Unfortunately with what NMS did (though they have partially redeemed themselves) and then the mess going on with SC....I can imagine gamers will be brutal with yet another space game and one that is in Alpha.  People in general are very short on patience and understanding and regardless of DU not doing what SC is doing.....it'll more than likely be branded as SC if they lifted NDA for Alpha Footage.

With the roadmap showing PvP not even coming about until next year...I can see some very brutal thoughts against DU that would probably hurt it more than help (not strictly on the lack of PvP alone but just Alpha state in general.  Unfortunately too many games lately have abused their "Alpha" state to where folks are tired of hearing, "It's in Alpha!"  Though DU looks like they're not clowning around like so many other games......I can imagine folks not being willing to hear, "It's still in Alpha".  Then don't even let any kind of delay happen with this new roadmap because folks will immediately paint it as SC though it's nothing alike.

9 minutes ago, Vonboy said:

I'm thinking this might not be that bad.

Remember, this game is kind of going under the radar right now (Heck, I didn't even hear of this game till a week ago.) Most gamers still don't know that this game exists. I feel like they could get away with this, as long as they are prepared to launch a massive marketing campaign whenever they decide to drop the NDA. This way, they can reach a lot more people, who haven't heard of the game before, when the game is closer to a finished state, and actually looks good, with servers that aren't lagging anymore, with more features and less bugs.

It seems like this is kind of what JC wanted, too. From all the videos and text I've read on this game, it sounds like JC didn't want to make too much of a fuss while initially funding this game. He stopped the crowdfunding for a time, when he felt he had enough funds to go ahead with the project, and he wanted to avoid adding stretch goals and feature-creep, instead wanting to focus on getting the initial game ready, with what he did promise would be able to work for the release, and then focus on other features later.

Now, they will probably loose some people who already pledged, but that is only a bit over 30,000 right now, much less than the tens or hundreds of thousands they could pull in later.

Originally I was extremely disappointed, and I still am as I would love to show DU off to some friends.  But you’re definitely right.  And the people they “lose” now can always come back at launch or further down the road.  

Sometimes it’s good to take a long break from following development.  Heck I stopped following SC from 2.0 until 3.2.  Extremely satisfied with the progress made.  Now hopefully as I wait for 4.2 or whatever, even more will change.

36 minutes ago, Vonboy said:

I feel like they could get away with this, as long as they are prepared to launch a massive marketing campaign whenever they decide to drop the NDA. This way, they can reach a lot more people, who haven't heard of the game before, when the game is closer to a finished state, and actually looks good, with servers that aren't lagging anymore, with more features and less bugs.

Indeed. If this was a triple A game by a multi billion dollar publisher i wouldn't care about this issue at all. A lot of games, without necessary being known/famous titles, only give gameplay footage in the beta phase or close to the release. But it's not the case here and i really doubt NQ will be able to create such massive marketing campaign. And since 2020 will have a surge of new MMOs, it will be tough to grab people's attention in such late period when we already have games now constantly showing footage and live streams of their alpha versions to maintain their momentum.

Dual Universe does have something in favor to it tho. The first month after launch will be a free trial accordingly to what i read, so maybe it will be able to lure players that way and if the game is working as intended, people will definitely stay.

4 minutes ago, Demonneo said:

The first month after launch will be a free trial accordingly to what i read, so maybe it will be able to lure players that way and if the game is working as intended, people will definitely stay.

There's a free trial period planned at any time for new players. Even If you hop on 2 years after release you can test out the game for some days/weeks for free. It's Not only in the first month after release

8 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

Really ? Such as ?

My thoughts exactly lol.  I remember when bless, blade and soul, Black desert, etc were going to be the “next generation” mmo killers.  I’m sure they’re good games, but let’s be real here.

Only mmos I’m interested in are DU, SC, and fractured.  

Ashes of Creation, Pantheon, Project TL, just to name a few. If those are not fully released around 2020, the Beta versions will probably be available to play. Not sure about space MMOs tho, since besides Dual, i'm not really interested in anything else xD

5 minutes ago, Demonneo said:

Ashes of Creation, Pantheon, Project TL, just to name a few. If those are not fully released around 2020, the Beta versions will probably be available to play. Not sure about space MMOs tho, since besides Dual, i'm not really interested in anything else xD

If those are your mmo killers, DU has nothing to worry about.  None of those are an end all be all MMO.  It would be the same competition as DU releasing now with BDO, Elite, blade and soul, TOS, etc.

People lose attention after 2 years.  Having a publicity campaign right now isn’t really necessary.  And I imagine the community updates will continue 

I have to disagree with that tho, especially regarding Ashes of Creation. Not that i consider it as an "MMO killer", but it definitely has interesting mechanics and a different approach being implemented. Just like DU. But my point is that there are a lot of projects being developed right now. Even if you don't consider them to be promising, they will still get more attention since their alphas will not be under NDA while DU will be dormant for almost 2 years. When chosing the next big non free to play MMO to play, that can be a deciding factor. Unless it's like Bless where people notice its not worth to invest their time after a few days playing it, because it's a total mess or BDO with it's pay to win model..lol

There are always a lot of projects being developed.  Releasing Alpha content to the public doesn't always garner interest.  Heck, look at Elite Dangerous.  I lost interest in the alpha, and never went back.  I'm sure it's a phenomenal game at the moment, but meh it can't bring me back.  It's not their fault I wasn't interested in the alpha, but it is their fault for opening their doors at that point.

I've heard your argument about Project Gorgon, Camelot Unchained, Pathfinder Online, Crowfall, Chronicles of Elyria, Shroud of the Avatar, Shards Online (I think it changed its name) and even Fractured (a MMO I'm interested in)... the list goes on.  MMOs will always develop their games selling something "special".  Just because the one around the corner tickles your fancy, doesn't mean DU is going to have problems releasing alongside it.

OTOH, look at games that don't release any content until they release the game... like Rend.  They have plenty of interest just because the game is rather unique.  It is up to the developers to hold that interest.

8 minutes ago, Demonneo said:

When chosing the next big non free to play MMO to play, that can be a deciding factor

Lol, sure, if DU wasn't the only choice in that category, it might have been a factor ! :D

4 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

Lol, sure, if DU wasn't the only choice in that category, it might have been a factor ! :D

Haha, thought that was rather interesting as well.  DU is definitely not F2P.

5 hours ago, Hades said:

I've heard your argument about Project Gorgon, Camelot Unchained, Pathfinder Online, Crowfall, Chronicles of Elyria, Shroud of the Avatar, Shards Online (I think it changed its name) and even Fractured (a MMO I'm interested in)... the list goes on.  MMOs will always develop their games selling something "special".  Just because the one around the corner tickles your fancy, doesn't mean DU is going to have problems releasing alongside it.

Let's hope so. Just sharing my view on this subject because i actually lost interest when JC said the NDA will not go away. Probably it's the same for a lot of other people. 

And i know there are always projects being developed, but MMOs have been stagnated for quite some time to a point people even give a chance to asian free to play MMOs in hopes for it to be the next big thing, which obviously will not happen when such horrible business model is implemented. 2020 tho, it seems we will get a decent list of choices with actual some potential to be good unlike the last 5 years.

Edit: @ShioriStein, you can see it at 1:25 in the roadmap video

Damnit, it is really dissapoint as Demonneo said about NDA wont be lift in Alpha stage. I really hope to see some of the game development from people streaming Alpha stage.

But well if they put more gameplay vid often then it not so bad....

But suck entire Alpha stage still NDA is so sad and dissapoint a same time.

2 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

Damnit, it is really dissapoint as Demonneo said about NDA wont be lift in Alpha stage. I really hope to see some of the game development from people streaming Alpha stage.

But well if they put more gameplay vid often then it not so bad....

But suck entire Alpha stage still NDA is so sad and dissapoint a same time.

yea but gamers are a finicky bunch and dont know what an actuall alpha is but hey for 60 you can get into alpha 2 of fo 120 you can get in at some point in alpha 1. Actually i think 120 is alpha 1 access as soon as it opens

Im ok with the new roadmap and the continuance of the nda.

Remember that NQ will periodically release updates/progress reports to keep the general public informed.

The rest of us can help make DU great by testing it every chance we get.

Im also sure that when beta arrives, and the nda drops, that the volumes of recordings made over the previous couple of years will hit al the public sharing networks and do most of the advertising job for NQ.

I am happily confident of DU's direction and fully support NQ  :)

30 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

Im ok with the new roadmap and the continuance of the nda.

Remember that NQ will periodically release updates/progress reports to keep the general public informed.

The rest of us can help make DU great by testing it every chance we get.

Remember that it’s a lot easier to stomach the NDA when you are not only allowed to see what’s under the NDA... but you’re allowed to “physically” access it.

The continuance of the NDA is a pretty big setback for those without.  And I truly think NQ should make up for it with more frequent videos/community updates when the alpha rolls around.  Heck, perhaps even allow community members to submit videos for review and potential publication by NQ.

The NDA is completely understandable.  But I wouldn’t consider it all sunshine and roses.

As an aside, I wouldn’t expect to be able to release content from under the NDA post release.  I’m not sure NQ has made a final decision on that.  I personally wouldn’t if I were them.