Can we get space weed?

Excavy

19 minutes ago, Excavy said:

I assumed we were both talking about PvP zones. Even if you are in a city, the risk of being in a PvP zone should always be accounted for. If you are a person who doesn't want to be robbed or kidnapped or have police take you into custody, then it doesn't sound like a PvP zone is right for you. There is always supposed to be a sense of risk in everything that you do.

I'm not saying somebody should be able to incapacitate you long range snipe mode. Things like that have to be balanced, and the idea on an incapacitate should be very hard to pull off. You should have to sneak up on them, if you're in a city make sure nobody else sees you, get close enough to be able to perform the action, have an escape route. Its not like the other player has no risk and can just troll you.

Thing is, 99,9% of Du is FFA PvP. First cities won't be in that huge area but in some safezone (either sanctuary moon or the arkzone).

And yes, that's exactly my point: it should be dangerous and ppl should always be in their toes outside those safezones. I come from Eve and I never entered the safezone there because it was boring as hell. It's just the newbro xp you have to keep in mind. If such a mechanic is implemented poorly or isn't thought through then ppl WILL get griefed and ppl WILL abuse such a mechanic. Every broken, OP, Bad or good mechanic will be abused - that's how ppl are in such games. Again, best reference here is Eve.

23 minutes ago, Excavy said:

understand what you're saying, but at the same time, I think DU sets out to be more allowing in the ways you handle things in game. Organizations that have their police randomly search people will have bad reputations. An organization should go through the extra steps to scout people and make informed arrests, because it will make them reputable. The idea of DU to me is to have social relations impact the game-play more than any other game. You seem to assume that if you allow people to do something, that they will automatically do it. I think DU is set up to be much more complex than that, and make your decisions yours and purposeful instead of restrictive to one way to go about something. Players should have the opportunity to approach a situation in as many ways as possible. When they are given choices, they will be able to learn what way they want to tackle problems. This is what creates diversity in a game. I don't want to walk into a city and have the Police might as well be NPCs because they all go about themselves in the same way as anywhere else.

Yes, i fully agree that ppl should find ways for themselves and that you can tackle proplems in different ways - that's emergent gameplay. 

I'm just against easy mechanics like pressing a button to see the inventory of another dude (and No, an animation or cast time doesn't improve that). Such mechanics should be demanding, engaging, hard to master and fun. Especially in nowadays gaming environment of instant gratification. 

3 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Yes, i fully agree that ppl should find ways for themselves and that you can tackle proplems in different ways - that's emergent gameplay. 

I'm just against easy mechanics like pressing a button to see the inventory of another dude (and No, an animation or cast time doesn't improve that). Such mechanics should be demanding, engaging, hard to master and fun. Especially in nowadays gaming environment of instant gratification. 

I do I agree that those mechanics should be hard to use and powerful when mastered. What I am proposing for the balance for a mechanic like that, is for it to be very very close range, and have an animation BEFORE it takes effect. The animation and cast time does have an effect, because you could very easily run out of the way of the attack if you react fast enough. Also, I do not think the ability to do this should be common. I think it should either be a hard to master technique or have the action bound to an item of high value that you use. Things like that do have to be balanced to be fun, but I think its better to try and to find out its impossible to balance, rather than restricting options due to the difficulty of balancing around them.

4 hours ago, Excavy said:

Yes, that is my point. Although organizations will try to claim safezones first, they will run out of space, necessitating rules surrounding PvP. The most secure way of preventing PvP inside a PvP zone is to restrict weapons. This will spawn black markets and cartels who deal in those weapons.

How do you restrict weapons on a ship?t those weapons are needed to get whatever cargo safely to the destination. You cant then strip the ship of its weapons. Not only is it unrealistic it will drastically reduce trade.

5 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

How do you restrict weapons on a ship?t those weapons are needed to get whatever cargo safely to the destination. You cant then strip the ship of its weapons. Not only is it unrealistic it will drastically reduce trade.

I was talking specifically on personal weapons. For ships, there will be stuff such as anti-spacecraft guns to dissuade ships from acting out. While in a city area it is much easier to hide the use of a personal weapon.

8 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

If there are pick pockets around then i am keeping my gun(s)  - no matter what the law says

Well yeah that's your choice. You may not trust the police to protect you. Its a risk analysis. Is it more risky to get rid of your guns and hope you don't pick-pocketed  or to keep your guns and hope they don't search you. And of course different areas will have different rules

1 minute ago, Excavy said:

Well yeah that's your choice. You may not trust the police to protect you. Its a risk analysis. Is it more risky to hold on to your guns and hope they don't search you or to keep your gun so you don't get pick-pocketed. And of course different areas will have different rules

Idk why people are thinking civilisation will be like our current one. Really cant see there lots of people wanting to be cops/security so i see it being similar to the american wild west.

Most places wont have dense enough populations, so the rule of survival will be to carry weapons.

Wont matter in safe zones anyway....

The easiest punishment will just be to shoot n kill the person doing bad things. That gets them out of the area and gives them a financial fine as they will lose what they are carrying.

As I said.... the wild wild west  ;)

Just now, CoreVamore said:

Idk why people are thinking civilisation will be like our current one. Really cant see there lots of people wanting to be cops/security so i see it being similar to the american wild west.

Most places wont have dense enough populations, so the rule of survival will be to carry weapons.

Wont matter in safe zones anyway....

The easiest punishment will just be to shoot n kill the person doing bad things. That gets them out of the area and gives them a financial fine as they will lose what they are carrying.

As I said.... the wild wild west  ;)

People most likely will take up more of a security role, where they work for their organization part time to earn money and recognition. Some areas will be more like the wild west with it being every man for himself. Some areas will be heavily regulated and managed by organizations seeking to retain their hold on their territory. It just depends

The easiest thing is to shoot and kill of course. But what if you kill somebody from another organization and they get pissed? Things get more complicated as DU grows.

Just now, Excavy said:

The easiest thing is to shoot and kill of course. But what if you kill somebody from another organization and they get pissed? Things get more complicated as DU grows.

Whatever the punishment thats the risk you take, no matter how big DU is, or will become  ;)

On 8/2/2018 at 4:35 PM, mefsh said:

Could you please explain the difference between space weed and normal weed?

The difference is this stuff glows like a nuclear reactor when held up to sunlight so the stuff is grown underground and away from prying eyes.  -_-

Exhibit A:

fluorescentTobacco.jpg

On 03/08/2018 at 9:48 PM, Excavy said:

I think depending on the effects of it and how popular it is, some organizations may choose to ban it.

Imagine if there's a drug that blurs your vision and all of your pilots decide to get high. Then an enemy organization attacks and all your pilots are half blind. Like I said, depending on the effects and popularity, it may or may not cause problems within an organization.

It would be good if there was a risk/reward element to the substances, maybe that they work 7/10 times and temporarily increase your stats for half an hour, but 3/10 times you get a bad reaction and your stats actually decrease. So players would take them before a dogfight for example and hope that the drug increases their performance, but it could actually go the other way (maybe the players vision is blurred as a side effect so they can't fight effectively.)

This could then be a reason for some orgs. to ban the substances as they might want to have players on their side in battles who are partially incapacitated. 

Whatever happens I think it would be good if DU found a way to incorporate drug/contraband smuggling as part of the game. It could be a cool dynamic that adds to the game. Rival groups fighting each other over the supply and having to pay off cops/security to get it through certain territories and to trade it there. It could be like Narcos in space.