How powerful is an STU?

Excavy

Just wondering before I decide on which pack I buy, will the Sanctuary Territory Unit (STU) be a sponsor pack only item? And if it is not, how difficult is it planned to be in order to gain one. It really does seem to be a big advantage to own one, especially if they are exclusive to the sponsor packs. Any information on how STUs function would be appreciated, thanks. 

On 31.7.2018 at 9:57 AM, Excavy said:

Just wondering before I decide on which pack I buy, will the Sanctuary Territory Unit (STU) be a sponsor pack only item? And if it is not, how difficult is it planned to be in order to gain one. It really does seem to be a big advantage to own one, especially if they are exclusive to the sponsor packs. Any information on how STUs function would be appreciated, thanks. 

https://dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/01/30/our-toughts-on-territory-protection-mechanics/

and

https://dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/03/02/more-info-on-sanctuary-territory-units/

Sanctuary Territory Units only work on designated Sanctuary moons. They will enable you to claim a hex on a Sanctuary moon, and that hex will have full safezone protections, so PVP is disabled within Sanctuary zones.

However, Sanctuary moons will have no ores to mine, so they are only good for building safe bases. All the materials needed to build that base will have to be brought in from elsewhere, which means it has to be imported from the FFA-PVP zone.

You'll need to build or buy a spaceship to get to the Sanctuary moon in the first place.

In addition, sanctuary hex claims are not indefinite, there will be a need to keep your account active (i.e. regular logins or similar requirements), otherwise you will lose that claim. This mechanism is essential, because the amount of claimable sanctuary hexes is limited.

3 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

Sanctuary Territory Units only work on designated Sanctuary moons. They will enable you to claim a hex on a Sanctuary moon, and that hex will have full safezone protections.

However, Sanctuary moons will have no ores to mine, so they are only good for building safe bases. All the materials needed to build that base will have to be brought in from elsewhere, which means it has to be imported from the FFA-PVP zone.

You'll need to build or buy a spaceship to get to the Sanctuary moon in the first place.

My main concern is how difficult it is to obtain an STU. This will impact my decision on which founder pack I want to get. 

Although Sanctuary moons won't have any ores, its obvious that ores are not the only things that will be of value in DU. Having a safe place to provide services to other players is a very powerful tool, especially right at the game launch. By establishing your STU zone early on, you could easily create a recognizable and reputable area for many services such as shops, trade outposts, and residential areas.

Although in the early game STUs may have little impact, being one of the first to establish one is a great way to own one that competes with other STUs in the late game. I'm assuming something this powerful will be hard to obtain, and my perceptual worth of each founder pack depends partly on just how hard it is to obtain one.       

Sanctuary Territory Units are restricted to the Sanctuary territories. These territories are located on special moons called Sanctuary Moons. In a sanctuary territory, players may not initiate any offensive action. Sanctuary territories owned by players are subject to rights management such as restrictions on mining, crafting, and building. By default, players cannot build, mine, or craft on unclaimed sanctuary territory.

Sanctuary Territory Units can be purchased through the future in-game shop using real currency up to a certain limit. Upon starting Dual Universe, each player will receive a free Sanctuary Territory Unit in their inventory.

2 hours ago, Excavy said:

My main concern is how difficult it is to obtain an STU

We have no idea how difficult these items (STU's and TU's) will be to manufacture ingame, or what players will be prepared to pay for them.

The whole purpose of Sanctuary moons is to give those that aren't focused on PVP a place where they can at least build a safe base. If that option is going to be extremely expensive or difficult to accomplish, then the message is really that "DU is not for players that don't want to PVP"...

AFAIK, the plan is that you will only be able to deploy ONE STU per character, but you will be able to deploy multiple TU's after training-up the relevant skills.

Territory claim units will be FAR more "powerful" and valuable than STU's, because they give complete control of hexes outside the safezone areas, and those hexes are where the valuable ore deposits will be found.

1 minute ago, Aaron Cain said:

Sanctuary Territory Units are restricted to the Sanctuary territories. These territories are located on special moons called Sanctuary Moons. In a sanctuary territory, players may not initiate any offensive action. Sanctuary territories owned by players are subject to rights management such as restrictions on mining, crafting, and building. By default, players cannot build, mine, or craft on unclaimed sanctuary territory.

Sanctuary Territory Units can be purchased through the future in-game shop using real currency up to a certain limit. Upon starting Dual Universe, each player will receive a free Sanctuary Territory Unit in their inventory.

Thank you for the info. This seems like a good method, since I can see a successful STU area paying off the cost of the STU in eventuality. The free STU is also good in my opinion, as it gives new players the chance to establish themselves. Its assumed that all of this is subject to change, but that system seems perfect. 

6 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

1 minute ago, NanoDot said:

The whole purpose of Sanctuary moons is to give those that aren't focused on PVP a place where they can at least build a safe base. If that option is going to be extremely expensive or difficult to accomplish, then the message is really that "DU is not for players that don't want to PVP"...

This system that Aaron told me about seems to be the best way to include players who don't wish to PvP. I do think that PvP will somewhat be centered around STUs, as sort of "safe zones" in a metaphorical game of tag. The services inside an STU don't have to directly be PvP. Markets, politics, and trading are all just as important as PvP and are the main activities I see the STU areas accomplishing. This is why I see them as so powerful, and thus, hard to obtain. However, it wouldn't be worth it to sit around and create buildings for no reason, so I guess the hope is for the players to create the value of an STU for themselves with the incentive to not have an STU for no reason. I'm sure many players will strictly deal inside STUs and become wildly successful in the game with enough work.