Mining

Melkor Morgoth

As some of you may know, I'm starting the Dyson Sphere Initiative and our big problem will be not only construction, but mining. Due to us having to mine so much just by hand this will take forever. I know they've already said this won't happen but can we please be allowed to build mining vessels, they should be EXTREMELY complex to make so it doesn't become super unbalanced, these types of vessels would help SO MUCH in projects like the one I am trying. It would allow us to have less people mining and more transporting resources and building the thing itself. Hand mining everything is just not realistic especially during a time like the one DU is in, and the tech they have. Any sort of mining vessel would just make things so much better for this project and the game itself.

3 hours ago, Melkor Morgoth said:

As some of you may know, I'm starting the Dyson Sphere Initiative and our big problem will be not only construction, but mining. Due to us having to mine so much just by hand this will take forever. I know they've already said this won't happen but can we please be allowed to build mining vessels, they should be EXTREMELY complex to make so it doesn't become super unbalanced, these types of vessels would help SO MUCH in projects like the one I am trying. It would allow us to have less people mining and more transporting resources and building the thing itself. Hand mining everything is just not realistic especially during a time like the one DU is in, and the tech they have. Any sort of mining vessel would just make things so much better for this project and the game itself.

NQ has stated that mining will be done by hand, no automation, no mining machines beyond what can be done with the mining tool(s) on everyones arm.

37 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

NQ has stated that mining will be done by hand, no automation, no mining machines beyond what can be done with the mining tool(s) on everyones arm.

Yeah I know, I'm just asking for a slight change to allow some small mining vehicles, no automation, just something you don't have to do by hand 

58 minutes ago, Melkor Morgoth said:

Yeah I know, I'm just asking for a slight change to allow some small mining vehicles, no automation, just something you don't have to do by hand 

What WILL be happening is that arm tools and players mining skills will be upgradable, and hence increasing mining rates. Thats your improved mining if mining is your thing.

Having a vehicle do your mining is just another form of 'visual arm', It really doesnt change anything but visuals. However the above mechanisms will allow for better mining, and it is coming, so your issue has already been addressed. ;)

5 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

What WILL be happening is that arm tools and players mining skills will be upgradable, and hence increasing mining rates. Thats your improved mining if mining is your thing.

Having a vehicle do your mining is just another form of 'visual arm', It really doesnt change anything but visuals. However the above mechanisms will allow for better mining, and it is coming, so your issue has already been addressed. ;)

thank the lord

There is a difference of a fully automated mining vessel to the "tool".

I consider the vessel like a ship, that has a mining tool build in. So it can mine whatever.

The interesting part would come to LUA:

How to scan

How to find 

How to dig into to get to the material

And then mine.

This is an very interesting challenge I would love to dig into to create such a miner. I agree that otherwise we would have issues to create real large things. LUA is actually perfect for this things and the limit is just how good you are in programming it.

Even if it is a brute force miner (go one step front, mine, go on step front mine) or (going in rectangles - mine), that would be better but having to mine everything manual, will never do the job for things like dyson sphere - or transforming  a planet into a ring ..  I am not sure if that will be possible anyhow, but the sky is the limit in our thinking.

The downside of this is:

Macro Miners and selling credits for real money etc. 

And that is what I would not like of it. So most likely that is also the reason why they do not want to have automated mining versions in place.

Cheers

Ser

12 hours ago, SerErris said:

There is a difference of a fully automated mining vessel to the "tool".

I consider the vessel like a ship, that has a mining tool build in. So it can mine whatever.

The interesting part would come to LUA:

How to scan

How to find 

How to dig into to get to the material

And then mine.

This is an very interesting challenge I would love to dig into to create such a miner. I agree that otherwise we would have issues to create real large things. LUA is actually perfect for this things and the limit is just how good you are in programming it.

Even if it is a brute force miner (go one step front, mine, go on step front mine) or (going in rectangles - mine), that would be better but having to mine everything manual, will never do the job for things like dyson sphere - or transforming  a planet into a ring ..  I am not sure if that will be possible anyhow, but the sky is the limit in our thinking.

The downside of this is:

Macro Miners and selling credits for real money etc. 

And that is what I would not like of it. So most likely that is also the reason why they do not want to have automated mining versions in place.

Cheers

Ser

NQ has said that scanning/mining will be manual and that full automation of such wont be possible for the sake of game balance.

Likely any loophole around it would be squashed by NQ for the sake of game balance.

Isnt this the idea forum? Yes I see that NQ did state something. But we are playing with ideas, which all have it pros and cons. The argument that NQ stated it is not planned is not an arguement as a pro or con. It is good to mention it, as the current state of game design, but thats it.

2 hours ago, SerErris said:

Isnt this the idea forum? Yes I see that NQ did state something. But we are playing with ideas, which all have it pros and cons. The argument that NQ stated it is not planned is not an arguement as a pro or con. It is good to mention it, as the current state of game design, but thats it.

I never argued that mining ships where not planned, I did argue that NQ has decided against mining ships due to gameplay balance reasons. Those are two entirely different things.

This is not the first time this subject has been raised, and probably wont be the last, however its a dead on arrival idea as its already been ruled out by NQ. Use the search feature to see all the previous threads on this.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at my arm. It was the nanoformer. The 17th Arkship Division was run by the Butlerian Jihad whos leader's wife, a top executive of UFE, had unknowingly married into. But what is the Butlerian Jihad? Having its origins almosy as far back as computers itself, it was a group advocating against automation, machine learning, and the corporate, rather then collective ownership of the means of computing by the likes of the long-gone Silicon Vally Conglomerate. They managed to seize a coop on the UFE and banned automation, almost causing the halt of the early Arkship project. They lived on but slowly lost ground in the following centuries....

If anyone asks me, that was fiction. The Jihad portrays themselves as savior of humankind from AI and late-stage-capitalist-tech companies.

So, because of it, the Arkship databases had no drills. I thought... What if I detached it? I got a friend to cut the nanoformer off with his nanoformer, carefully. Might be a horrible idea. Might be the best one. The plugs were nothing like I've seen so I spent 30 minutes downloading Skillset: Soldering for Dummies and soldered an adapter. I hooked it on my ship... AND IT WORKS MY SHIP HAS A DRILL TAKE THAT THE JIHA- 

*Player 0something0 was banned for exploiting*

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they’re planning to compensate for having to get in and out of your vehicle constantly to scan, by using specialized skills in a skill tree for mining specialization. Maybe a skill for a miner could be that they have a passive scan?

• 2 weeks later...

It will be great to have many ORE, i mean :

ORE like we are mining now with 1 m3 = 1 m3 ORE

but there is something more intresting : ore with a % of mineral inside, so on a planet, we could find ORE or MINERAL (=naked eyes like gold nuggets )

In that cases, player had to build plant/factory to process/refine ORE , sometimes it will be 0.05 % of Tungsten per 1 m3 and sometimes, player could find 1.25 % per 1 m3 or more.- DETECTOR 2.0 ???

For the game, it could be a big perspective for "Mining" ORE+FACTORY / INFRASTRUCTURE and not just an hand action.

MINING 2.0 : 

5 hours ago, 0something0 said:

What if only nanoformers could harvest high grade ore but regular drills could harvest low grade ores or regular rock/dirt?

You think it would be the other way around since everybody has a nanoformer my default and specialized machines would be able to get at the truly good stuff.

Of course you can change this by incorporating certain technologies that need to be researched, but that's for another topic entirely.

Just now, DarkHorizon said:

You think it would be the other way around since everybody has a nanoformer my default and specialized machines would be able to get at the truly good stuff.

Of course you can change this by incorporating certain technologies that need to be researched, but that's for another topic entirely.

Could you read this topic? It just has some things that might sprout new ideas.

In it, it states:

"Calabi-Yau Compactification: the science behind CYC has been inexplicably lost in the Arkship archives. It is the technology that powers nanopacks, which are extra small containers (that colonists wear on their suit), capable of amazing volume and weight reductions of almost anything contained in them. All we know is that it seems to work based on the possibility of storing matter within the extra dimensions of space-time allowed by String Theory, inside what is called the Calabi-Yau space. The exact science and understanding behind them have been lost and attempts at reverse engineering have all failed. Due to the limited number of Nanopacks available and their considerable value, further attempts to reverse engineer them are discouraged."

Also, NQ wants ores to be mined by hand and not by machinery. While you might be able to dig the "dirt 'n ore" cocktail and then refine, NQ is very adamant on handheld mining to prevent a multitude of problems, including:

World Eaters

Server Lag

People being eaten by machinery

The Robot Uprising

2 minutes ago, Kuritho said:

Could you read this topic

I've read the topic plenty and actually have that open in a tab already. I know those answers because the topic has been torn apart already, please don't fault me for simply replying to something that 0something0 had brought up.  ?

2 hours ago, DarkHorizon said:

I've read the topic plenty and actually have that open in a tab already. I know those answers because the topic has been torn apart already, please don't fault me for simply replying to something that 0something0 had brought up.  ?

I'm not faulting you. I'm just saying there may be conflictions with some of the ideas being tossed around here.

(Not going to lie, the lore is underwhelming, but I don't have a better idea, so it is the best lore.)