Eating, drinking and breathing

BiGEdge

Hello Noveans and the ones hoo gonna be,

in my opinion a game with a living breathing universe where the content is made by players we will need more than just mining ores.

Trading is for fulfilling needs.

But to have a reason to trade we need essential needs.

We all want to make the Dual Universe a second home and we need to have some essential things.

here are my suggestions and what probably make it different from any other game.

Farming:

We need to have Elements that have to be placed on a specific biome.

A waterfarming mashine needs to be placed at a water source on any planet and produces drinkable water.

to fill it up we need to have a mashine that produces bottles.

Producing food will work a similar way.

A mashine will produce meat out of stem cells on a planet with breathable air.

The packaging will work with another mashine.

Crop Farms will need a lot of space and can only be placed in biomes where plants are growing already.

With mashines crops can be produced into Food-Packs

Eating and Drinking:

Every bottle of water or produced food will expire after one reallife week.

but a player need to drink and eat once every day or once every login and after using a ressurection node.

If a player dont eat after logging in his stomache will make noises and he cannot use his jetpack.

if the player dont eat for some days he will die and get portet to a resurrection node.

If a player dont drink for one day his char wil make another noise and the player walks slower than usual.

Alcohol and Drugs:

Every Drug has a positive and a negative. So it should be here.

Alcohol could let you move faster the more you drink but with a blurred vision and maybe lets you move waveringly.

There could also be drugs.

For Example... "Scraprip Pill" this pill will let you carry more things. You feel like you have superpowers.

But after duration of action using Drugs you need to drink and eat much more.

drugs can make you addicted. if this happens you need a medicine and cannot fly ships for one week.

Breathing:

The Nanosuit has a stock for oxygen.

oxygen can be produced on planets with atmosphere. The oxygen will get nanorized in a mashine into O²-Packs.

every Nanosuit has slots for O²-Packs.

Every Pack will less for one hour.

Water-Bottles, Meat-Packs, Food-Packs and O²-Packs

are in my opinion a minimum must have in the game.

There could be a lot of other things like mixed drinks, different meals, alcohol and drugs.

But all of this stuff will make the universe rich on wares to trade and stuff everyone needs.

Without this, its just a mining and shipbuilder MMO

Greez BiGEdge

1 hour ago, -BiGEdge- said:

Eating and Drinking:

Every bottle of water or produced food will expire after one reallife week.

but a player need to drink and eat once every day or once every login and after using a ressurection node.

If a player dont eat after logging in his stomache will make noises and he cannot use his jetpack.

if the player dont eat for some days he will die and get portet to a resurrection node.

If a player dont drink for one day his char wil make another noise and the player walks slower than usual.

yes pls, force stupid and repetitive but useless mechanics upon me to force me to log in

You got me wrong... i meant it the other way around.

If you log in you have to eat and drink.

It dosnt madder how long you were offline.

So if im offline for a Week or just for an hour i always have to eat or/and drink after that login.

You dont loose any stats when offline

26 minutes ago, -BiGEdge- said:

You got me wrong... i meant it the other way around.

If you log in you have to eat and drink.

It dosnt madder how long you were offline.

So if im offline for a Week or just for an hour i always have to eat or/and drink after that login.

You dont loose any stats when offline

ok...delete the last part then:

1 hour ago, Lethys said:

yes pls, force stupid and repetitive but useless mechanics upon me to force me to log in

if you get a buff (and not a debuff like you proposed) this statement will change to:

1 hour ago, Lethys said:

yes pls, force stupid and repetitive but useless mechanics upon me to force me to log in (if I get a training time boost)

a boost may work better though - so ppl can do it to get an advantage, but they don't have to

I think we two got different oppinions...

Im arguing with the theory from Maslov.

Dual Universe is supposed to be a Simulation of Sociaty. Thats what JC always sayd.

Maslov told us that a healthy sociaty has to have different needs.

The importanth of it is a must have to be happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

1. You have something that everyone needs the one or another way. A true Must have!

these are physiological needs that everyone has to care about.

This is something that should be there in the very first place before

savety: Savety is something like savezones and those are already agreed from NQ.

Next are the Social needs, nothing to talk about in a MMO Game

And after this stands Esteem, its like having a Ship or a house or possibility to explore

You see in a Game where you wanna build a virtual sociaty its the importanth thing to have essential needs.

And in my oppinion DAC cannot be the only essential need in DU.

I hope i made it clear for you, and wait for your counterargument

Also its what you sayd, just the other way around.

If you eat you walk faster, if you drink you can use a jetpack and so on.

1 hour ago, -BiGEdge- said:

Also its what you sayd, just the other way around.

If you eat you walk faster, if you drink you can use a jetpack and so on.

not at all the same.

a debuff (like you proposed) forces ppl to get drinks, food and whatnot. That's just bad game design because I have to do it in order to do other stuff (drink water to use the jetpack - yeah. that's just stupid and boring imho).

If you implement it as a buff (+x% range of jetpack, +x% accuracy, +x% fuel for jetpack, +x% whatever) then it's up to ppl to decide if they want/need that extra boost.

If you implement it as a buff on certain "nono" areas (like skilltraining for example - get +x% faster training time) then you end up with everyone doing it because it's, AGAIN, forced  upon the player. No one wants to get behind on skills in a game where skilltime is the only value you can increase with your avatar.

English (deepl used)

Hi -BiGEdge-,
of course, it's in human nature to meet basic needs. But the question is whether in a game that automatically satisfies these basics by technology, the lowest level of the Maslov pyramid is necessary to form a social structure.
Personally, I find the idea of considering this level in the game attractive and your solution would take into account the time course of the game.

German (original)

Hallo -BiGEdge-,
natürlich liegt es in der menschlichen Natur seine Grundbedürfnisse zu stillen. Die Frage ist aber ob in einem Spiel das technologisch diese Grundbedürfnisse automatisch befriedigt, die unterste Ebene der Maslov Pyramide notwendig ist um ein soziales Gefüge zu bilden.
Persönlich finde ich die Vorstellung diese Ebene im Spiel zu berücksichtigen attraktiv und deine Lösung würde den Zeitverlauf des Spielgeschehens berücksichtigen.

Die Waldfee

simply put if i want a survival game i will play something else. Also DU is never portrayed as survival game so that would probably be badly received.

There could be a use for food and drinks, but it should add, and  not be a mandatory thing. And if so i want to have mandatory toilet visits or you just piss your suit. So we get all or nothing but that would mean Sims in space......

granular details and mechanisms = No. This game is a MMO Scale afterall.

macro economic commodities to say fuel functional development constructs (eg more food and more diverse food) = Yes/Possibly if there's time and if it adds more diverse trade and activities for economic simulation systems.

If i'm not wrong DU wont be survival game but DEV said they might will implement some survival element in DU ... after release as a survival expansion.

We have for the moment no plan to have food introduced at release, but rather in a "survival" expansion that would come later.

meh, this subject again.....

I don't want any survival mechanic - life is going to be hard enough as it is in DU, besides, as a human I eat, sleep, etc etc in my real life, the game revolves around these real life demands, I already deal with them, I dont want to deal with them in game as well.

I never mind them as it adds a layer of logistics and makes at least one industry branch remotely feasible, while potentially empowering shop owners in cities who'd sell those goods.

But debating this turns into a "pizza vs spaghetti?" kind of debate given that it is purely speculation for the (far) future and a preference thing. While reading pros and cons is nice it can also be useless. What we write here in this case won't change much as the stance is now clear - for now.

Not that I want to discourage anyone here though. It's just that I've also seen this debate a few times before here which is likely why not many will post in here (again) all aspects considered.

I'd revisit the topic with late beta or something. But that's just me.

Hmm ... I consider the base requirements of any human being as fulfilled ... I do not see any value in doing it. The maximum I would consider is that the base of your living is costing you money every month. But that would then run you bankrupt and you can consider the monthly fee for the game as exactly that.

So I also fall into the department of "I do not want to do things in games like eat or drink" for no other reason than to create an economy around it.

For having a food industry, you can simply create a food sink (like space stations) that have food demand and then someone will start a farming career to make their living. Having everyone to eat is in my eyes not getting any addition to the gameplay. Creating artificial penalties for not eating or drinking is just a self justification why you have to eat in the first place. In real world you have to eat otherwise you die. It is for many many people just that and is driving a lot of their day to day routine. 

In first world is of cause needed to eat - however the focus is shifted and the question of eating is more like - do I shop something today, or do I eat out. That is all the concern we have and it is for many people in this worlds something they would even left out, if they could.

The point of Maslov is exactly, that if you do not have to care about food anymore, you will turn your focus on the next step. 

So I do not think to much on food in real live - i definately do not want to click on "eat" button in a game for no benefit.

It's a good idea, I think, but we should not push this mechanism to drink and eat as much as possible. For example, it is sufficient to place water dispensers or taps and dispensers that could be manufactured and placed in buildings or spaceships.

As stated above several times - it adds nothing to the game. Only a certain few, a minority, get some roleplaying, immersion kicks out of it.

The only reason this is a debate is because, generally, the people looking for immersion and roleplay aspects are overrepresented in indie, crowdfunded, pre-launch game forums. It won't be the case when the game launches later on.

• 2 weeks later...

Maslov was a psychologist, not a game designer.
If you want to design game mechanics around his theory, you have to regard the real needs of the players and not the fictional needs of their characters.

Regarding food:
I think implementing foods, that give you buffs for a certain time could maybe be possible. (Even WoW has that)

The only possible buffs, I can think of are movement speed and health.

(Giving advantages when eating, instead of giving disadvantages when not eating, is the same, but to players it feels very different)

Things like the jetpack should always be usable, I think.

Regarding water:

Having to drink wouldn't add much to gameplay, I think.
But it also wouldn't be overly annoying, if the water is consumed automatically from the inventory, as a human only needs some litres a day and the inventory is huge and water is easy to obtain.

Regarding ogygen:

Same as water, I think?

I think that too many survival elements will cause the came to become bogged down and boring. That said, I’m interested in the idea of food. 

I’d like a system where you can collect and prepare different foods, and eating them will heal or buff you. A person with skills like ‘foraging’ or ‘cooking’ would be able to find/make food with greater benefits. This would allow for a new “job” within the game, while not forcing players to use the mechanic.

I’m also interested in the idea of a “sleep” mechanic. I would have it be instantaneous, but only available using a given part, like a ‘suit recharger’. If you go too long without “sleeping”, you get small debuffs like reduced carrying capacity or move speed. This would encourage players to either build bases (which I think is good) or use others players “beds”—thus opening up another “job” as a sort of hotel owner.

8 hours ago, ArtfulBadger said:

I’m also interested in the idea of a “sleep” mechanic. I would have it be instantaneous, but only available using a given part, like a ‘suit recharger’. If you go too long without “sleeping”, you get small debuffs like reduced carrying capacity or move speed.

Or, in real life the player, who has been playing a solid 16 hours, gets more sleepy, reaction times increase, cognitive fatigue sets in., mistakes are made... yea, I prefer the real life sleep mechanic thx ;)

and... die necro thread DIE! :D