Creative mode?

Lockethot

Nope and there never will be a single player creative mode. DU is a MMO.

IF ANYTHING then NQ might implement some sort of creative Mode within the MMO universe, but that's still undecided and has to be thought through well imho

It's really hard to say whether a creative mode would be beneficial or detrimental to the game at this point.  Best to wait until we have a more complete game (ie. release) before thinking about a creative mode.  It would just be speculation at this point, just as it was last time this was brought up :P

• 10 months later...

IMO creative mode could perfectly be a completely separate mode, sort of a personal instance, intendeed for designing and programming purposes. A place where you can créate and test ships or stations or other constructs and contraptions, the blueprint them, and export those blueprints into the main game to be built for whatever the amount of resources is needed in each case. I hardly see this as an overpowered feature, much more as a necessary one for creators.

13 minutes ago, Destruktioner said:

IMO creative mode could perfectly be a completely separate mode, sort of a personal instance, intendeed for designing and programming purposes. A place where you can créate and test ships or stations or other constructs and contraptions, the blueprint them, and export those blueprints into the main game to be built for whatever the amount of resources is needed in each case. I hardly see this as an overpowered feature, much more as a necessary one for creators.

So you wont to rob me and other players from opportunity to stay nearby and watch something beautiful being build and just see empty field and then BOOM something appears from nowhere just because someone wanted to build it in "offline" instance and import afterwards? Totally immersion breaking for me. Or someone who flies by and sees a huge construction site and wonders if he can offer his mining/hauling services, so he lands and starts to chat with you and this wont be possible because most big constructs will just be spawning from "thin air"? I am completely against creative mode - it takes development time away from other features just to drop loads of players into invisible instances and spawn constructs. I know why you want it, I just think it is better for everyone if we can interact with each other while we are doing our thing and also building in real environment is harder than in creative mode so it brings higher sense of accomplishment. But it is developer call, if they want to make another game with creative mode or stick to single shard universe.

I see your point, and it seems right to me. But think of the waste of resources and time it Wash if some really big contraption get wrong and has to be redone. I understand the lack of inmersion a creative mode implies, but im sure a mixed system is possible. For example, the blueprint made by the designer in creative enlists the total amount of elements and materials needed. Then the designer has to gather all the resources in game. When he has all he need, he uses his blueprint in the construction site. This blueprint, when used, generates a hologram, a gosthly representation of the thing, which is allowed to be seen only by his eyes (and maybe his team, the ones he gave permission to). In the 3d holoblueprint they can see the placement for all the elements, and the shape of the different voxels, and this can be easy replicated with real materials. The blueprints can be divided in sections to allow the interiors of the ship or building to be made as well. This is a way of making a lore friendly creative mode have sense in the game, and it wont allow us from ejoying the process of building as simple spectators. Remember that only the designer and his team can see, the holoblueprint, what we see is a big construction taking place in real time. The process implies a necessary skill for planning, creating, mixing and merging those blueprints as well, something only possible for really skilled and experienced players, thus allowing for  the enrichment of the designing job in general. What  do you think?