Convince Me To Buy a Pledge

Vengorin

57 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

I expect the combat mechanics will be decided on the basis of what the game engine can handle, rather than what players would expect from a "modern combat game".

The game world in DU is far more complex to support than a "traditional" MMO, due to the fact that everything is voxel-based and runs on a "single-shard". Combat in DU is an aspect of the game, not the primary focus (as it is in EVE or any "standard" MMO). Ship-to-Ship combat (CvC) was actually a Kickstarter stretch goal, so NQ were even considering the possibility of launching the game without CvC in place.

I don't expect that DU's combat will compete with EVE or Elite or Star Citizen. Those games are built around combat, it's the primary activity for them. They all have extensive PVE and PVP combat options, with NPC's providing "missions" and "events" that serve as the main source of cash for the majority of players.

OTOH, DU has no NPC's, so no "easy money" from repeatable NPC missions. So financing a "combat lifestyle" in DU is going to require either hard work or RL cash (selling DAC to other players).

there going to have to make combat at least decent and fun tho

15 minutes ago, yamisniper said:

there going to have to make combat at least decent and fun tho

"Decent and fun" are subjective concepts.

Players that are used to twitch-based combat will probably have a very different view of what makes "decent" combat than someone who prefers the target-locking mechanics of "classic" MMO's.

Additionally, combat in DU will be irrelevant to players who do not want to PVP, because there are no NPC's to fight in DU.

In DU, combat has only one function: killing other players and destroying their structures.

2 hours ago, NanoDot said:

I expect the combat mechanics will be decided on the basis of what the game engine can handle, rather than what players would expect from a "modern combat game".

The game world in DU is far more complex to support than a "traditional" MMO, due to the fact that everything is voxel-based and runs on a "single-shard". Combat in DU is an aspect of the game, not the primary focus (as it is in EVE or any "standard" MMO). Ship-to-Ship combat (CvC) was actually a Kickstarter stretch goal, so NQ were even considering the possibility of launching the game without CvC in place.

I don't expect that DU's combat will compete with EVE or Elite or Star Citizen. Those games are built around combat, it's the primary activity for them. They all have extensive PVE and PVP combat options, with NPC's providing "missions" and "events" that serve as the main source of cash for the majority of players.

OTOH, DU has no NPC's, so no "easy money" from repeatable NPC missions. So financing a "combat lifestyle" in DU is going to require either hard work or RL cash (selling DAC to other players).

Yeah, at the end of the day I'm sure the MMO aspect comes first and rightfully so over combat mechanics.  Based on what I've seen and heard I'm aware of the lack of NPCs and actually am thrilled about it as NPCs and PvE stuff never really did anything for me. I like what they're going for here with everything being player.  I'll just have to wait and see what they have in store here for the combat side but I'm definitely not expecting it to be ED or SC given what they've already stated.