Convince Me To Buy a Pledge

Vengorin

Hi was just looking thru the web for something to sink some hours into when i stumbled onto Dual Universe.

I need to be a little careful when spending so i have 1st a few questions i would like to ask and then will follow with where i spend my time normally and what i enjoy and don't enjoy. If you can answer my questions thank you very much....and then just let me know why i would enjoy this game.

1. If i bought a Pledge how long until i can play.

2. If i join the game before launch will everything i have done be wiped.

3. What kind of environment will i be getting into as in pvp, pve, pvpve, slow paced, Fast Paced, grindy, hostile, competitive and so on.

4. Is this game small server based, Large server, or MMO Scale server.

My Games = Space Engineers, 7D2D, Empyrion Galactic Survival, Avorion, From The Depths, SWTOR, Elite Dangerous, GTA V, Rimworld and Egosoft X series of games. are lots more but this should give a good idea of what I'm about.

This is just a list of things i like and don't like ... not necessarily meaning i want them all to be or not to be in any given game.

Things I enjoy = Building, Designing, Crafting, Farming, PVE Content, PVP At my own choice, Loot(i Love the loot), complex character Building (as in stat management skill trees upgrades)... there are more but this will do.

Things I don't like = Steep grinding curves, Very Clunky, No Customization(Charter or arsenal), Forced pvp+Full Loot, Nasty Communities, Nothing much to do(repetitive), Bland Game play,

Thanks all Who respond.

1 - Not sure if testing schedule is under NDA. So I'll just say testing have been frequent. You won't have to wait long.
2 - Everything will be wiped before launch, this is pretty constant with all mmos. However, you'll have blueprints to easily save your designs. You'll just have to of course play the game like everyone else for resources and etc to make it again from your blueprint.
3 - The game will likely be all of those, but it will really depend on how you play it and the sort of company you keep.
4 - They are using new single shard server design, so there are no servers, its one single universe everyone plays in at the same time.

I'm not sure if there's any info on farming yet, but everything else you name is pretty much advertised already. They plan to have some safe zones, but outside of it, PVP will be open. Work with friends, or get clever :)

steep grinding curves like grinding NPC monsters for xp literally won't be possible by design. As this is a player based game. There will be little to no NPC monsters. Based on their packages supporter details, there will be quite a bit character customization. Community has been great so far, at least it hasn't been Call of Duty or League of Legends. There will be lots to do as players will be rebuilding society, there's a lot to do in society, find your niche. Just remember this isn't a themepark mmo, it's sandbox.

The game is in early alpha development mode and is aimed atm at those who can play and report bugs. The game isnt full function nor completed with the servers only open periodically when the devs need the game tested further.

So if you are prepared todo the above by all means join the pre alpha.

Ive personally paid for and am waiting for the alpha release .

Hope this helps

15 hours ago, Vengorin said:

1. If i bought a Pledge how long until i can play.

depends on the pledge. If you buy patron you get access to the prealpha. But this is only to help test and improve the game - if you want a fun-time and really play the game, then you should wait for at least beta (and buy the according pledge)

2. If i join the game before launch will everything i have done be wiped.

yes, ofc. would be unfair otherwise.

3. What kind of environment will i be getting into as in pvp, pve, pvpve, slow paced, Fast Paced, grindy, hostile, competitive and so on.

there is a big safezone around the spawnpoint (arkzone) where pvp is forbidden. There are sanctuary moons aswell where PVP is forbidden. Everything else is FFA pvp. Since there are no NPCs (as in classic MMOs), there is no classic PVE content (like missions, raids and stuff)

4. Is this game small server based, Large server, or MMO Scale server.

single shard server. Everyone plays on the same server

If you like it or not is entirely up to you - won't make any suggestions here

2 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

Not everything be wipe out Lethys, Blueprint will still be there with player.

has to be seen how well those BP transfer to the live version once core mechanics are heavily changed during alpha and tweaked in beta. IMHO those BPs will be worthless - but that's just me

Well all I need is the voxel body ( wall, ceil , ... ) and other element I can replace easily. 

It will save me much time not to think about model, size, design thing when launch.

Thank you all with your helpful response think i will wait for a while to get the game.

I'm currently on long term sick from work due to becoming basically disabled 2 days before new years eve so spent last 8 months on the web and in games and forums lot of vile people.

You all have been very helpful witch is a good sign of the community you all could of told me to go search google for the answers but you never and it was people's opinions i was after and that i got.

Ty again will pop back in a month or 2 to see the progress.

On 7/23/2018 at 8:16 PM, Lockethot said:

Sorry I will watch this game with great interest, but I will not purchase ahead of time (especially at the price). Its kinda a personal rule of mine after I saw what happened with Star Citizen. Hope you guys understand :D

I hardly suggest people to back, it is a lot of money. My only thing is that if you have faith in the project its worth it for the dacs alone, that being said its still great to have people who arent backers in the community.

On 24/07/2018 at 1:16 AM, Lockethot said:

Sorry I will watch this game with great interest, but I will not purchase ahead of time (especially at the price). Its kinda a personal rule of mine after I saw what happened with Star Citizen. Hope you guys understand :D

Yes, I suspect there will be mega fall-out from that abomination (to put it extremely lightly).

As to DU: Honesty is the way forward for people: I don't think pre-alpha is for most people. SO it is best to wait. I can afford to sink 60$ in up front as I don't play computer games much these days and this title as a Virtual World MMO is of especial interest. But that money is the minimum and the maximum I would shell out before the game launches and only for exceptional reasons as above.

In fact, I intend to try to learn LUA and use DU as a place to motivate myself, so we will see if I can get my returns on that 60$ via this activity or not in the next 12 months.

If you spend money: Have a plan. No plan means often you waste your money completely.

:3 @Vengorin  @all others

Don't buy into a pre-alpha if you just want to play a game.

Pre-Alpha or Alpha in general is more ... well a testing enviroment.

Bugs.

Patches.

Breaking Stuff.

Lots of hair pulling moments.

And a good amount of fun, people will miss out.

But mostly just sometime to mess with things, before the actual game takes shape.

And some chances to ask questions or bring in ideas, that might be good.

Check, trello board for that.

So i you can stand a tight shedule (mostly thursdays) and can stomache lots of despair.

Go ahead. 180 Bucks is a good buy for the stuff you get.

On 24.7.2018 at 2:16 AM, Lockethot said:

;3 no worrys.

But this isn't a  star citizen.

Not to dizz them.

But the CEO wanted 4 games in one game. With the prettiest graphics ever.

What he made were these 4 games in the end.

Scrapping one or even two of them.

And fucking over the maingame, as the engine isn't meant to handle more then a handfull of players and ships at a time.

When your engine is meant for FPS shooters ...solo ones. It's not the best idea to go MMORPG with that.

Dual has some promising ideas and concepts. And one can see the devs are working on things.

Just check back next year. Probably will be around Alpha/ Beta if lucky~

On 26.7.2018 at 10:43 AM, MookMcMook said:

Yes, I suspect there will be mega fall-out from that abomination (to put it extremely lightly).

As to DU: Honesty is the way forward for people: I don't think pre-alpha is for most people. SO it is best to wait. I can afford to sink 60$ in up front as I don't play computer games much these days and this title as a Virtual World MMO is of especial interest. But that money is the minimum and the maximum I would shell out before the game launches and only for exceptional reasons as above.

In fact, I intend to try to learn LUA and use DU as a place to motivate myself, so we will see if I can get my returns on that 60$ via this activity or not in the next 12 months.

If you spend money: Have a plan. No plan means often you waste your money completely.

:3

I started learning LUA for this too.

Javascript came to me for the game called screeps.

Check it out.

It's always good to know more languages. And java isn't so different from LUA, after learning a bit more LUA.

Anyone have a good example to go by with the whole "lock and fire" when it comes to ground combat?  I'm assuming the flight combat would be something similar to Star Trek where you fly the ship but you click on your weapons to fire at selected targets?  How does that work on the ground...I know for me that same mechanism was garbage in Star Trek.  Something was off about moving my character around but then having to click menu buttons to get the character to fire with no real "cover and concealment" tactics but instead just popping shots at each other until whoever dropped first.

I'm not the combat flying type and plan on being one to gather resources, ground or aerial recon, ground combat, perhaps ship boarding defense (if that's even a thing in this game), etc.  But I'm lost on how the ground combat will work and was wondering if anyone here even knows since there's not much talk about it. I'm so close to buying the Patron Pledge (I know there's no PvP of any kind taking place in the game) but that future aspect of the game is one I was curious about.

28 minutes ago, The_War_Doctor said:

There is very little to no info on any of the combat, Right now anything we say is purely conjecture.

Understand, hopefully they'll release their thoughts on it some time this year at least though it may not be implemented by this year. I just want an idea of what they're going to go after. The only thing I had heard in one video was a "lock n' fire" deal due to what they're going for with the single shard deal and how traditional FPS wouldn't go with what they're trying to do.

On 7/31/2018 at 12:21 PM, STEALTH7 said:

Understand, hopefully they'll release their thoughts on it some time this year at least though it may not be implemented by this year. I just want an idea of what they're going to go after. The only thing I had heard in one video was a "lock n' fire" deal due to what they're going for with the single shard deal and how traditional FPS wouldn't go with what they're trying to do.

it probly have aiming mechanics but it be target lock XD

On 31/07/2018 at 7:21 PM, STEALTH7 said:

I expect the combat mechanics will be decided on the basis of what the game engine can handle, rather than what players would expect from a "modern combat game".

The game world in DU is far more complex to support than a "traditional" MMO, due to the fact that everything is voxel-based and runs on a "single-shard". Combat in DU is an aspect of the game, not the primary focus (as it is in EVE or any "standard" MMO). Ship-to-Ship combat (CvC) was actually a Kickstarter stretch goal, so NQ were even considering the possibility of launching the game without CvC in place.

I don't expect that DU's combat will compete with EVE or Elite or Star Citizen. Those games are built around combat, it's the primary activity for them. They all have extensive PVE and PVP combat options, with NPC's providing "missions" and "events" that serve as the main source of cash for the majority of players.

OTOH, DU has no NPC's, so no "easy money" from repeatable NPC missions. So financing a "combat lifestyle" in DU is going to require either hard work or RL cash (selling DAC to other players).