Dev Progress

krsunny

Hi, been a year since I logged into the game and I see its still going through these weekly tests where you have to dig through forum posts to see when the test server will be online. Is there any word on when this testing phase will end and people will be able to login and play whenever they want?

5 hours ago, krsunny said:

Hi, been a year since I logged into the game...

That might be hard considering it hasn't been a year since the first test :)

You can also check here to see what day the next test will be (But not the times.) It will say "Servers Online!" during the testing time.

2 hours ago, krsunny said:

I love space games.. last thing I want to see is interest in this game dying but I think that is what is  happening or will happen if these servers dont open up soon. 

What are you talking about? The servers ARE open to the pre-alpha test group more and more as time goes on.

This ins't a finished game, its in development, and not open to the general public because of that.

We are expecting an updated development road map to appear within the next month or so.

Most of the useful discussion is happening in the pre-alpha test forum rooms - which we average mortals dont have access too.

All current development is under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), which has stopped anyone giving us progress reports besides official news releases from NQ.

Interest in DU is far from dying, if anything, its growing.

Cheers :)

On 7/18/2018 at 6:30 PM, CommanderLouiz said:

That might be hard considering it hasn't been a year since the first test :)

You can also check here to see what day the next test will be (But not the times.) It will say "Servers Online!" during the testing time.

It hasn’t been last couple of test

On 18/07/2018 at 8:10 PM, krsunny said:

Is there any word on when this testing phase will end and people will be able to login and play whenever they want?

There won't be 24/7 server access for a long time yet. Perhaps by the second half of 2019 if all goes well...

4 hours ago, NanoDot said:

There won't be 24/7 server access for a long time yet. Perhaps by the second half of 2019 if all goes well...

Which is pure speculation and no official information, by any means. NQ still has to announce when NDA drops and when there will be 24/7 access. 

Never said you implied that, just saying

As an ETA for Alpha1 has not been announced yet and based on what normally would be a development cycle/process for this type of project, it would be reasonable to assume 24/7 server up time would not happen until (close to) Beta. So second half 2019 is hardly speculative, even with no actual knowledge of the existing state of development it's a decent guesstimate maybe even on the optimistic side.

53 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Which is pure speculation and no official information, by any means. NQ still has to announce when NDA drops and when there will be 24/7 access. 

Never said you implied that, just saying

Yes, it's pure speculation and entirely my own opinion. 

NQ have never given an estimate for 24/7 availability AFAIK. Perhaps the promised "new roadmap" will give a rough estimate in that regard, but I doubt it.

Unless I'm totally wrong, 24/7 access is too far away to even risk an estimate at this point. People tend to take developer estimates as hard facts, regardless of how many disclaimers accompany them.

I love the speculation about a potential Alpha1 date.

Reason:

We do not know what the Minimum Viable Product  (MVP) definition is, that makes it ready for Alpha 1. It could be next week, or next year, or 10 years. Without any further information this is fruitless discussion... (not sure if that phrase exist in english :) ).

So hold your breath, wait and see and if you cannot await it - play some other games. Makes it easier to wait ;) 

Ser

Actually, we do. NQ has been clear on what they want to have done for Alpha to start. They may or may not change their objectives on that sure but since we're not discussing alpha 1 start here, your argument is pretty much irrelevant.

@SerErris

JC as stated more then once that he doesn't consider the game to be an alpha state until it has gameplay loop of the core features of the game. Mainly, Scanning, Mining, Crafting, Manufacturing, and Building.

Dual Universe being a civilization building game, means when you can scan for ore, mine it, then craft it into material, then use that material to manufacture an build ships, buildings, stations, etc.... that is the "minimum viable product for alpha" as you say. At least that's the current impression stated by JC.

Also, Novaquark has stated they plan to release a roadmap this summer so that should give a better indication. I recommend you take the time an watch all the development videos, interviews, articles, and dev blogs so that you can be more informed about the game.

Here is a video of JC stating when he would consider Dual Universe to be in an alpha state.

A true gameplay loop would include a way to destroy those assets as well... but that's just me ;P

I'm fine with combat waiting for later stages, I just don't consider the loop to be complete until then.  Semantics, I know.

@Hades

Combat is tied to the voxel system, and character stats implementation, so its kind of secondary system really. I would think its harder to balance combat, then implement.

But I agree, I just didn't want to over state what JC said in the video, so that's why I didn't mention it. We also have Markets, and LUA scripting already too!

On 24.7.2018 at 12:58 AM, SerErris said:

I love the speculation about a potential Alpha1 date.

Reason:

We do not know what the Minimum Viable Product  (MVP) definition is, that makes it ready for Alpha 1. It could be next week, or next year, or 10 years. Without any further information this is fruitless discussion... (not sure if that phrase exist in english :) ).

So hold your breath, wait and see and if you cannot await it - play some other games. Makes it easier to wait ;) 

Ser

there is a public trello wich gives the insight for speculations:

https://trello.com/b/Y6WNMd2S/dual-universe-community-suggestions

the list what has to be done is growing and growing, and the time is flying and flying...

my opinion didn't change since half year: If NQ don't get more men power (at least double team size), don't expect full game release before 2020,

The list is there, I have seen it. But my statement does not change.

The list is a unsorted list of individual ideas (not even features) in varrying depth. That is not at all a minimum viable product description.

What SuperMega wrote is more like it, but I believe that is also coming with some more details things we do not know how much they are complete to those generic points.

So all in all - without knowing the details MVP we cannot even assume how far they are down the road to get this done.

So all speculations are that - speculations. 

Grab a cup of tea was the only point I wanted to make.

On 7/24/2018 at 5:17 PM, supermega said:

@Hades

Combat is tied to the voxel system, and character stats implementation, so its kind of secondary system really. I would think its harder to balance combat, then implement.

But I agree, I just didn't want to over state what JC said in the video, so that's why I didn't mention it. We also have Markets, and LUA scripting already too!

Agreed, for the state of Alpha 1... there probably won't be combat and that is fine, but it's not a full game loop imho :P

Combat isn't a secondary component of Voxels or character stats.  You can't just mash them together and get combat.  That's like saying mining and production are secondary components as well.

@Hades Maybe secondary isn't the right word, what I meant was that combat is directly tied to the core systems of the game. You can not have combat at all without those core systems.

Player Combat: You can not do Player vs Player..... until Players have stats like Health. Also player stats are directly tied to skill progression. so with out the very basics of player stats implemented, there can be no player vs player combat.

Vehicle Combat: You can not do damage to constructs.... until the voxel creation system is implemented. Damage is pretty much the same as removing voxels, also that data has to be stored so voxel constructs can be repaired/rebuilt. The whole construct vs construct combat is reliant on a voxel system being in place, without it, there is no voxel damage.

That's the reason I referred to those systems as primary. The definition of Primary is quote: " earliest in time or order of development. ". Not saying combat is less important,  just that it has to come after those system because it directly tied to those systems, before it can be implemented.

My Guess

Is that construct vs construct will be implemented in Alpha 1... and player vs player combat in Alpha 2? Maybe?

On 21/07/2018 at 3:12 PM, NanoDot said:

Yeah I've come to a similar conclusion as well. Given the delay from the initial dates, and the ambition of the project, it does seem very likely that another year or more is needed as this Summer rolls onwards closer to it's end (almost August now).

That said, I'm ok waiting, the project here is special in the MMO genre that tbh it's almost singularly the only one of any interest I have seen on the horizon.

10 hours ago, supermega said:

Is that construct vs construct will be implemented in Alpha 1... and player vs player combat in Alpha 2? Maybe?

"Construct vs Construct" was actually a KS stretch goal, which means it was not originally a core game feature for launch, but AvA (Avatar vs Avatar) was.

So it's unlikely that CvC will be done before AvA, and both are scheduled for the alpha2 phase (unless NQ revises their plans).

Combat will be the last major game feature to be implemented.