Distant game chat

STeelGear

Sorry if it repeat theme, but I can't find something same.

Core of idea - Game chat must have different properties on different distance.

I think we need 4 levels of distance.

1) Close distant (0-5km) - everyone can read and send massage, and every one can read this. Massage will be send full and immediately.

2) Low distance (5km - planetary system) - Massage can send only from ship, but player can read when out of ship.  Massage will be send full and immediately.

3) Medium distance (star system) - Massage can be send and read only from ship. Massage will be send full and immediately.

4) High distance (between star systems) - Massage can be send and read only from ship.  Massage will be send with "lags" (ex.: 1 light year - 1-3 sec) and can be randomly damaged (short massage have more resistance for this, but if it damage u have chance for fully unreadable massage, long massage have lower resistance for damaged, but more word can stay normal).

It must work with public and private massage (except mail - it must have very low speed, but it will be invulnerable for damaging).

This would probably work better in mechanics terms with something like a communication element so that progression can be made in the damage done to a message. Although overall this would get annoying fast for players doing trading and for people needing to issue quick contracts, like a hauling order while they are mining or sending out an SOS to the entire alliance when you are caught being sneaky. for multiple star systems and, everyone would probably switch over to some out of game chat client, or just use Discord Voice channels.

Ou, ok! I forget SOS signal! 

For alliances and SOS need to use somthing same, but more usable. For example, SOS signal can't damaged and can recive by anyone, but SOS must have distance like 3-5 l.y. (it's emergensy call, right?=) )

But for Ally we can say - u use dedicated net (or somthing like that) and your massages less or not damaged, but still have latancy.

One more moment for that mechanic, I see, is jamming signal. For example - when fight started in star system, attackers use jamm devices and no one from outside know what happend in. 

I mean, it's a simple idea but it could have it's uses.... until you think of one thing. While we are using this, there is still the problem that people will use external chat for faster communication. I mean, it wouldn't make sense for chat since there would also be alternatives.

However, for things such as sending maybe a camera feed, radar detections, or similar, it might be feasible.

1. Scanning an area with an automated drone would also store data. Now, let's say you need to send that data a distance. Depending on the distance, it may be possible you need something stronger to transmit the signal, or something to relay that signal.

However, my second point against.

2. Latency as you put it in here, would also take more to calculate. In essence, making the game calculate the signals and the time it takes to get to destinations is unreasonable. If a signal is traveling, and it has multiple receivers, calculating the delay for each one wouldn't be reasonable for the server, and it would just be a waste of time for those waiting for said signals.

2. Latency as you put it in here, would also take more to calculate. In essence, making the game calculate the signals and the time it takes to get to destinations is unreasonable. If a signal is traveling, and it has multiple receivers, calculating the delay for each one wouldn't be reasonable for the server, and it would just be a waste of time for those waiting for said signals.

And even more of a waste of processing power due to that mostly unnoticeable delay.

I cant do anything anyway in that timeframe over interstellar distances, why bother with a few seconds delay?

And in the situations where it would matter im already using some out-of-game coms channel, like teamspeak.

And even more of a waste of processing power due to that mostly unnoticeable delay.

I cant do anything anyway in that timeframe over interstellar distances, why bother with a few seconds delay?

And in the situations where it would matter im already using some out-of-game coms channel, like teamspeak.

Indeed. While I like the idea of realism and immersive experience, this wouldn't be worth the effort.

I would like to see the things I mentioned in my first point, as it is a somewhat given, but the second point clearly expresses some problems in the time delay idea. 

You are correct mostly. Stargates, depending on what laws of physics go behind them, might be able to transfer information through them.

Assuming stargates will also transfer electromagnetic fields, it would also mean that information would be transfered through them. Maybe.

Still though, it makes sense for it to just be instant.

I could go for a massage right about now :)

But would it be delayed by five seconds over this distance? You would probably need a raptor to do it, otherwise, the in need of massage SOS would get to scrambled. :P But I suspect having chunks of flesh ripped out of you would not be relaxing, but i have been wrong before.