Question about ship element mobility

Anopheles

If we create ships will there be a mechanic that allows part of a ship to move independently of its chassis by, in its simplest iteration, hinges and the such like?

For example a car has doors and a bonnet/hood and a boot that move independently of the chassis. 

I ask because I have ideas for ships that open up like flowers or come in and out of a spiral.

14 minutes ago, Anopheles said:

If we create ships will there be a mechanic that allows part of a ship to move independently of its chassis by, in its simplest iteration, hinges and the such like?

For example a car has doors and a bonnet/hood and a boot that move independently of the chassis. 

I ask because I have ideas for ships that open up like flowers or come in and out of a spiral.

NQ has said that wheels, hinges, levers wont be introduced into DU. They induce to much server strain.

This MIGHT change in the far far far future, but for the next several years assume its not going to happen.

unlimited possibilitys doesnt incorporate unlimited elements ;) even when you limit 100 things, there might be unlimeted things that are not limited so its still unlimited possibilities, just witout wheels :P

I know I know.

I wouldnt need anything too fancy.  Just a voxel block (limited to one predefined  cube) that has planes that have a 1/0 sticky or not sticky decision that the player has a switch to.

Doesn't seem that intensive especially if limited to X cubes per construction where X is a number between 1 and 4.

Imagine the possibilities:  sliding gates for cities,  gull wings,  mining derricks that move up and down and cannons sliding into view....

Du is going to seem like a very stiff universe without something like this.

I’d LOVE for Dual to mix in a little bit of Scrap Mechanic but I agree it’s be to much sever strain ... for now. No game, I think, will ever ‘have it all’ and be playable at the scale DU intends to be. I’d love to make ships that transform, giant voxel gates, folding wing craft for your space carriers and so on but I’m happy that we can fly voxel structures right now. Hey... you never know. The future is open and anything is possible with enough time, money and resources.

I would love to see something like this, even as simple as landing configuration vs flight, like the imperial shuttle, or Klingon bird of prey.

Or rotating sections of ships, like pretty much every human ship from Babylon 5.

However as amazing as that would be, I would rather other elements of the game be developed first.