New video about crafting!

Skimus

WTF IGN? How come every time they publish a DU video they have to say "This No Man's Sky-like game"? 

They're pulling DU down into the mud with that kind of headline. Don't they realize the damage that could do after the disaster that is No Man's Sky? 

I'm alive!  

I've been silent for the past few month but not gone. Just lurking around. 

I'm glad they are finally getting us some in game footage. It starts letting us see what exactly the game will be like rather than speculation. 

It looks good. It is confirms the system I expected and from what was shown they are doing a good job pulling it off. 

I have 3 main questions, a few small ones, and some question/comments right now from the video though. 

1st:

He mentions the core unit he used is a small one with something like a 32 block area, but larger cores will have bigger areas. Does this imply a maximum size to constructs? Or will the largest one be able to have infinite range?

Now since the space station was kilometers in length I'm sure they have a large enough range for almost any project, but I am curious if they do have an actual limit or not. Furthermore, what if I start a ship, say a battle-cruiser, with a medium sized core, expecting it to be enough. But as I build and construct it I decide to convert it to a Capital class and add to it and end up needing more area. Can I easily upgrade the core or will I have to build it on a new core?

2nd:

The RCS thrusters he used, well with a different name. He added 4, all placed to fire in a horizontal plane roughly, plus the 2 engines. In reality this would allow him to rotate the ship left and right, plus forward thrust. But he takes off, and while limited, it is assumed the ship can maneuver in every direction. 

I was under the impression that the ships would be a physics body and require thursters properly placed around the center of mass to manuver and rotate. Am I incorrect in this thinking? And if so, what exactly is required for a fully manuverable ship? How many RCS, how many engines? Do engine directions even matter?

In the video the jetpack used seemed to be an anti gravity type where you hovered in place when on. I assume it takes fuel, is that correct? Is this anti grav mode the only mode or is there also a standard flight mode?

Minor things:

How many undo/redo commands can you do?

What is the maximum size of the brush/placement tool?

How many of each element type are there? Besides fuel type X and Y tanks, will there be fuel type X tier 1, 2, 3, 4....etc, all with different stats?

That's a good question, in space engineers there is no undo, an undo would be glorious the more steps the better! 

Interestingly enough, it seems the way he spoke about it, it was a single undo. Though, I could be wrong, I watched the video again and there is no UI flags, but being able to undo and then redo also is pretty cool. 

I just really hope this includes a symmetry mode though, I'd hate to have to do everything manually, man. 

I would get way to perfectionist over it... 

However! The plane -- plane placement for building is really interesting and useful, I can't wait to see what the limitations of that are :P 

I was a bit surprised they haven't implemented symmetry yet, but I'm sure they'll get around to it soon enough.

As for everything else, it is exactly as I expected. The tools have so much potential, especially the surface select tool. That will make things so much easier than space engineers. 

Also I was really hoping he would go buzz the arkship at the end. 

I'm sure I'll be eating up any game footage until release.  The grid lines are nice, and knowing the fuel tank needs to be next to the engines for now was interesting. 

Knowing about the directional thruster thingy was interesting as well as seeing how big the smallest block is compared to the 1st person view.

It was good to see but the connection tubes will allow the engines more freedom of placement.  Seeing the inventory was cool even though the look will be different.

My guesses are the RCS adjusters are really only needed if your using some fancy lua script to side strafe, spin on the dime and the default engines or cockpit/ control unit do basic vector thrust. Note: we only really saw the cockpit fly in this one because he stayed in first person. If he added something forward of the cockpit it would be more convincing. I know enough of the voxel coding to know that he does not need to lie at all there. Several other games have flying voxel structures even vanilla minecraft (they're just really noisy and hard to steer. That will change soon. ).    

All the core unit is doing is logging the XYZ coordinates and voxel type and perhaps orientation of the wedges, etc. Same with the elements. Everything moves with that core unit box.

I have a few quibbles. The core unit glow is too bright. We need some more realistic wings. Those look good and should remain but we will want a few other styles. Where do I submit meshes? A smaller sized core unit, visual only, would make some sleeker ships possible.

Do the antigrav speeders need a core unit or are they core units themselves?  That one's to big for a speeder bike or skywalker speeder.

Can you put the core unit in the air? Must it be on the ground? How do you work on the belly?  Is the ship editable again if you fly it up ten metres? I assume yes. If so is it or editing mode lockable? I presume so. A scaffolding voxel possible if not? I presume so. 

Good demo.