Planet Wipes & meteors

NERDFIGURE

Will there be planetary wipes to help sustain ores or will planets be able to be turned into swiss cheese and/or devoured ?

Also will there be events like Meteor showers bringing new materials to the planets? 

Rare materials in asteroids etc.

Just imagine: You build a massive citadel on a planet for your faction. Then a random disaster destroys the whole thing. I think it would only be okay if there would be a really easy way to defend against the elements

Point defense systems that can be made to target separate, non-player entities.

It's going to be needed anyway as people plan on making drones, or attempting too.

However the ideas for a defense system could possible go out of the bounds of that to shields, building underground, etc, etc. 

As for whether there will or will not be meteors/asteroids colliding with planets, unsure. 

Will there be planetary wipes to help sustain ores or will planets be able to be turned into swiss cheese and/or devoured ?

A lot of people have been pondering this question for a while and from my knowledge we really have no idea how they are going to handle the planets that end up looking like swiss cheese. 

There was some talk of slow regeneration somewhere, but I guess it will all come down to the way that we, the players, mine the planets. You could just make a vast underground network and essentially core the planet, or you could just dig holes everywhere. I mean, at this point, with no idea how any sort'a regeneration will work, this is the way you have to think. 

I am split on this, while I would like a planet to slowly regain its appearance to avoid an entire planet looking like this:

Bingham_mine_5-10-03.jpg

But then again I would prefer us being forced to slowly expand and move outwards into the universe as we expend the resources we have at our immediate disposal. I envision creating huge interstellar long range construction ship being constructed and either sent on its way on its own or carrying brave souls prepared to spend weeks or even months on said ship:

wayfarer_class_colony_ship__auriga_nova_

With the resources to construct a stargate at its destination as well as a new outpost to coordinate the exploitation of its new home.

If resources would regenerate, after a time you would not need to expand further and you risk stagnation.

I really think that people just don't comprehend the huge scale that are planets. There is no need to worry about completely mining out an entire planet any time soon. But after a time, maybe it will be possible to mine out an entire planet. I doubt it though, since it would also require lots of time and effort from many players involved. Unless literally half of the planet is a factory, I also don't see endeavors of this scale being useful.

And it could be that the ore distribution is not continuous, but spotty. Ore deposits would only be a small fraction of the entire planet anyway, everything else being useless dirt. No worries there.And like Sekmeth says, devs might want limited resources as a driving force for exploration.

Though I could see the arkship area being regenerative since there's new players and it's one of (and possibly the only) the safe zones.

I really think that people just don't comprehend the huge scale that are planets. There is no need to worry about completely mining out an entire planet any time soon. But after a time, maybe it will be possible to mine out an entire planet. I doubt it though, since it would also require lots of time and effort from many players involved. Unless literally half of the planet is a factory, I also don't see endeavors of this scale being useful.

And it could be that the ore distribution is not continuous, but spotty. Ore deposits would only be a small fraction of the entire planet anyway, everything else being useless dirt. No worries there.And like Sekmeth says, devs might want limited resources as a driving force for exploration.

Though I could see the arkship area being regenerative since there's new players and it's one of (and possibly the only) the safe zones.

I agree with the point of the arkship, since they have already stated that the starter area will not have any of the rare ores/minerals you will find in space, it makes sense to (slowly) regenerate the resources around it to make sure new players will be able to get of the starting planet.

That being said though, you should never underestimate a player (or playergroups) ability to strip mine and hoard materials. I do not only think it will happen but I am quite sure that players will be able to strip mine a planet for any usable materials. Also keeping in mind that an entire planet (or asteroid) would not be composed entirely of valuable minerals and ore. But like I mentioned above I like the thought of being forced to expand (much like in real life) when resources are becoming more and more scarce.

There could be other ways to regenerate materials more naturally (and randomly) as well. Comets, asteroids and such.

there is a couple month old thread that had a response on resource regeneration im sure some of you haven't seen.

"At the moment, it is not planned to have resource respawning.

If for some reason, there are a real necessity to add some resources on a planet, meteorite rains could be an interesting alternative. 

Unless we encounter some unsolvable scenario where it could stuck players, we will avoid the "artificial resource respawn" at all cost. 

Best regards,

Nyzaltar."