Player Models

Bl1tz3r48

Hey, so one reoccurring thing that I see in my organization's discord is that we would love to have our own distinct armor/player model... how much of a stretch would it be to add that to the game... it would help to identify different orgs. Maybe the organizations that want them could make their own 3D model and send it to Novaquark. It's just an idea, but it would be cool to see different factions ideas for armor!

I might be a tad out of the loop, chances are likely this was discussed and even officially commented on already but let's think it through:

Would it not be a huge effort (alternatively cost hard cash appropriately) for NQ to implement this? With what standards or regulations would this happen? A particular program NQ can work with and where you can do a lot of the work in advance? Or just send them artwork and let them do the creation and most work?

How many people or groups would request it in the end? Workload? Another interesting aspect: would it just be a skin or costume slot that shows instead of your game armor or become its own object that could be stored, found, traded in the world?

You see, beyond the impulsive "gib!" It's kinda tricky. I am all for it from a consumer or player POV but it doesn't seem feasible unless NQ establishes a particular 'unit'  for it that implements such requests either as fake or real object and if they take real money due to the likely effort for custom requests.

Gotta ask, are we talking textures or overlays or actual custom meshes? You rather seem to imply meshes, which is more work.

I can later see something more feasible work: custom (org) logos or patches or rank signs for armors that are applied to existing armor. There would obviously need to be rules for this but it would be less complicated: a mod or similar could just approve graphics per organization to prevent "unfitting logos". Orgs could submit one or a set of graphics (several) for approval. Once cleared they could apply them in a limited or sufficient built-in editor where you would also color your armors or something.

That would be a 'working' compromise. Thnk of the squad XML thing from the Armed Assault series.

In general and regardless of this, it would help immensely if NQ generally aims to provide a wide selection of different armor types in modular fashion so you can mix and match further.

I realize either path will lead to a notable amount of work, but having too few armor or clothing sets would, in my eyes, not fit with the scope of the game and emergent game play. And thus, an empowered player.

In WoW it was easy to implement distinctiveness due to being able to wear gear that appeared on your characters model. If such is the case here, then a guild-tabard like item wouldn't be odd. Or... Beter yet: A distinctive paint job.

9 hours ago, Warden said:

I might be a tad out of the loop, chances are likely this was discussed and even officially commented on already but let's think it through:

Would it not be a huge effort (alternatively cost hard cash appropriately) for NQ to implement this? With what standards or regulations would this happen? A particular program NQ can work with and where you can do a lot of the work in advance? Or just send them artwork and let them do the creation and most work?

How many people or groups would request it in the end? Workload? Another interesting aspect: would it just be a skin or costume slot that shows instead of your game armor or become its own object that could be stored, found, traded in the world?

You see, beyond the impulsive "gib!" It's kinda tricky. I am all for it from a consumer or player POV but it doesn't seem feasible unless NQ establishes a particular 'unit'  for it that implements such requests either as fake or real object and if they take real money due to the likely effort for custom requests.

Gotta ask, are we talking textures or overlays or actual custom meshes? You rather seem to imply meshes, which is more work.

I can later see something more feasible work: custom (org) logos or patches or rank signs for armors that are applied to existing armor. There would obviously need to be rules for this but it would be less complicated: a mod or similar could just approve graphics per organization to prevent "unfitting logos". Orgs could submit one or a set of graphics (several) for approval. Once cleared they could apply them in a limited or sufficient built-in editor where you would also color your armors or something.

That would be a 'working' compromise. Thnk of the squad XML thing from the Armed Assault series.

In general and regardless of this, it would help immensely if NQ generally aims to provide a wide selection of different armor types in modular fashion so you can mix and match further.

I realize either path will lead to a notable amount of work, but having too few armor or clothing sets would, in my eyes, not fit with the scope of the game and emergent game play. And thus, an empowered player.

I was thinking that to start out with, maybe the top ten orgs make their own 3D meshes of what they want their armor to be (and yes it would be a 3D mesh that could be sold) and then they send that mesh into Novaquark... So that Novaquark doesn't have to make any model, but we still get good armor...

9 hours ago, Omfgreenhair said:

In WoW it was easy to implement distinctiveness due to being able to wear gear that appeared on your characters model. If such is the case here, then a guild-tabard like item wouldn't be odd. Or... Beter yet: A distinctive paint job.

A color scheme would work up to a point, but four months in there will be a ton of active players that want a color scheme that, say, TU has on there troops... TU can do nothing to restrict them from using that color scheme and then they will loose their individual color scheme

An easier idea to implement, and one that wouldnt tax the servers, would just be an area(s) on the suit that display a  corps logo.

Once done, and if not to taxing on servers, at a later date different 'clothing' could be introduced by DU, perhaps players, and could be official uniforms of some corps using a clothing type/logo combo - for example to make corp ground troops distinctive when in the heat of battle. etc.