Territories for landing

atriumgp

Hello, i would like to say it would be cool if there is gameplay with autorisations where we can land and take off. At least at controled areas. As we have aeroports in real life. Have areas without ships noises, in cities or parks for exemle. Land and take off everywhere is not good for emersion.

At least in evoluated or controled areas. Landing in a no man’s land is an other story because it is a wild area, so we can do what we want. Is there already something on gameplay in controled territories about take off or landing autorisations ? Thx for reading, good continuation. 

Oh, interesting idea!

We would really need some rights for no fly zones.

Atleast as long as they don't want to trigger an "PvP" action or a fine. :3

Not sure what you mean by "Controlled Areas?"... but being that this a sandbox game, those types of things would have to be organized and enforced by players, any cities will be player made. I was recently thinking of the same question the other day. The game will probably have a way to scan constructs, which will give a way to identify ships and vehicles. Also, protective shield dome will be a thing so that provides a layer of protection again known griefer's.

With that in mind here is my idea for handling air traffic in player made cities:

1.) Public Space ports would be on the edge, or outside the city. Only ships with permits can land inside the city, at commercial or corporate hangers.

2.) The landing zones/ areas would be clearly marked, with towers, giant signs. An all air traffic is required to follow designated flight paths that is marked by glowing beacons/ aerial traffic signs, ( like that scene in Back to the Future 2).

3.) Anyone who doesn't follow the rules, then city defenses would just shoot them down. City defense could include player security forces, hired mercenaries, or even defense turrets manned by players.

4.) A city map should be available for download somewhere, so anybody who comes to the city will have it as a guide. (note: only public and commercial locations are marked on the map)

I think that would be a good starting point, for managing city air traffic operations.

1 hour ago, atriumgp said:

I want to propose this idea to trello. Is there a link for the ideas or they take them to this section of the forum ? :)

As far as i understood. Posting it in Idea Box, will get it into Trello (or atleast into consideration to be added or answered).

We could ask an mod altough @Mod-Meldrik @Mod-Merwyn if that is true xD.

I am not fully up to date on the trello situation, but as far as I am concern, I believe it is either NQ-Nyzaltar or NQ-Nomad who compiles a list of all ideas (facebook, twitter, forums, discord, etc) after which this list is sent to the DEV team to evaluate, then it is added to the Trello by NQ-Wanderer.

@NQ-Nyzaltar, can answer this question more precisely though. :)

~ Meldrik

We need to make a distinction here between what player's "can do" and what they're "allowed to do".

For instance, you may not be allowed to land your ship in someone's city, but you CAN do it if you're prepared to deal with the consequences...

It's unlikely that there will be game rules that allow players to make certain spaces into "no-fly zones", with the game engine enforcing the rule by making it impossible for players to fly into that space.

It's more likely that an intruder will be given a warning when entering such a zone, with a "You will be shot down if you don't leave this area in the next 60 seconds"... the owner of that zone would have to have the means of shooting down the intruder, of course...

That’s right. The rights for landing and take off should be linked to territory rights. Maybe players can create something with lua editor. Normally we can land everywhere but in evoluated areas there must be having special areas for ships. I think lua is here for that. :)

Hi everyone,

Preventing a construct to enter a specific space is a sensible topic as it could be abused the other way (like imprisoning constructs).

While we are aware  that giving total freedom on landing anywhere could lead to griefing behavior (especially in Safe Zones where it won't be possible to destroy Constructs having for sole/main purpose to annoy other players, due to the "no PVP" rule), we don't think preventing a Construct to enter a specific space is the right approach. We are currently considering less extreme alternatives that would discourage griefing behavior. These alternatives could define in which case countermeasures can be triggered if visitors don't abide by the rules set on said territory. This will be most likely tied to Territory Units. This topic will be developed further at a later stage of the game development.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

7 hours ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Hi everyone,

Preventing a construct to enter a specific space is a sensible topic as it could be abused the other way (like imprisoning constructs).

While we are aware  that giving total freedom on landing anywhere could lead to griefing behavior (especially in Safe Zones where it won't be possible to destroy Constructs having for sole/main purpose to annoy other players, due to the "no PVP" rule), we don't think preventing a Construct to enter a specific space is the right approach. We are currently considering less extreme alternatives that would discourage griefing behavior. These alternatives could define in which case countermeasures can be triggered if visitors don't abide by the rules set on said territory. This will be most likely tied to Territory Units. This topic will be developed further at a later stage of the game development.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Hi @NQ-Nyzaltar

As humans we all have our '"personal space", which varies from culture to culture. How about simply having a buffer of x meters for any built construct and any flying construct. i.e. you cant build if infringing on some other construct and you cant fly closer than that buffer (bounce off maybe?).

This will keep things relative 'neat and tidy', still allow groups to build big buildings, yet leave space for people and vehicles to pass through.

Food for thought ;)

Cheers

CoreVamore

An absolute NO! to flying restrictions.

First of all its completely artificial, even if we have airports in real life, that doesn't mean you can't land where ever you want, its just that you'll be fined for that.

Secondly you can't have player randomly crash against invisible walls just because someone declared that space as no fly zone, that's true for people who jsut pass by as well as for attackers.

And third: Those "no fly zones" would lead to a far more annoying possible griefing, like locking down the airspace around others constructs, building invisible mazes etc.

It is more realistict for an evoluated organisation to have flight restrictions. In absolute we can land and take of everywhere. But listen, in acity and in an evoluated gouvernement would it be normal to let a ship land near a cefeteria where people just relax. Immersion is completelly broken. And In DU we can control politics whith lua scripts. I don’t understand why it is not possible to do it with flight restrictions. If DU wants to give a lot of careers, here is one possible.

Just to clarify,

I am not for invisible walls going high up into the sky, more like a 'collision box' around a structure/ship.

I also see nothing wrong with landing a ship by a cafe.... this is the future after all! ;)  (In fact it would break immersion if you couldn't do it! ;)  )

I would like to see something as a mandatory tax system. 

Proposing an idea: Anyone landing on a territory with no rights is automatically subjected to a Tax that is sent directly to the owner, if tax can not be paid structure is confiscated and ownership switched to the territory owner.

This way there are no flight or landing restrictions but you already know beforehand there is a cost on landing.

1 hour ago, Aaron Cain said:

I would like to see something as a mandatory tax system. 

Proposing an idea: Anyone landing on a territory with no rights is automatically subjected to a Tax that is sent directly to the owner, if tax can not be paid structure is confiscated and ownership switched to the territory owner.

This way there are no flight or landing restrictions but you already know beforehand there is a cost on landing.

Dont think this would work as that implies that if someone wanted to attack that territory they would be auto-taxed the moment they landed troops.....  that dont sound very realistic to me :o

There is no obligation but i have to say there are two things. We have two sorts of territorries, territories controled with a minimum of gouvernement regularisation and territories non controled or wild territories. In sort you are in one of those two categories we have two sort of reactions.  Without or with a police, wild or controled. I will not use lua system because it is too complicated but i understood systems can be created with it. Politics works with lua, creations of racings events works with lua. And so on...

Guys, there will be no automated process of taxing/air control/whatever, these kinds of extremely restrictive and harassment enabling mechanics will never happen in DU and honestly, i don't know why you would even want to suggest something like that, its an extremely bad idea!

In star citizen there will be flight restriction. There is a good reason for.

in my opinion there must be closed areas for different kind of activities the game will offer. Landing and take off without directives is good for wild areas. It is for the game coherence. All is possible but there must be laws. Mayabe i see too high but lua is not here for nothing. 

Generally it's better to develop rule-sets when the underlying mechanisms are actually working and hence the rules are made ORGANICALLY with what players actually do or do not do.

If not a problem then no problem. If a problem then a solution AFTER the problem has manifest. Ideally the solution is organic, player-driven and hence it's the players that create the rule-set against what else players are doing.

If there's some kind of deeper underlying problem with the mechanic: Fly large slabs of voxels anywhere an d dump them to grief players then that's more of a fundamental mechanic flaw that needs correcting than a problem per se with gameplay.

indeed, the land on my spot, i box you in approach

Ok, so then thats the solution, if you land on my spot, ill box you in with just a dirt blob, and since you have no mining rights your ship will never leave again. Good point, your right mook, if reason doesnt work and people dont want to listen to you, just make them. So then hereby my lands will have a blob manifest, land on it, ill blob you :D

2 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

indeed, the land on my spot, i box you in approach

Ok, so then thats the solution, if you land on my spot, ill box you in with just a dirt blob, and since you have no mining rights your ship will never leave again. Good point, your right mook, if reason doesnt work and people dont want to listen to you, just make them. So then hereby my lands will have a blob manifest, land on it, ill blob you :D

and then they mine all that material in a few minutes and dump it on your land.... yep, that will show 'em ;)

Instead of creating an invisible wall, what if a warning popped up on the screen to warn the player that they could get fined or shot down for flying over that airspace... I know a few orgs that are already making laws about airspace and what not, and a few of them won't be so friendly if you accidentally fly over their land.