How much does it cost to keep the DU server online?

boots_1588

On 7/1/2018 at 2:46 PM, blazemonger said:

However in this instance you are buying tickets for a play that is still being written with no rehearsals nor premiere date set yet. The information you seek is simply not there yet and you would not be in a position to directly question nor direct the creation of the play write just because you already bought your ticket (but will be invited to join rehearsals as a spectator because your did).

Yeah but how much is that production company’s lease for the theater? ?

On 20.06.2018 at 10:55 AM, Sofernius said:

Math doesn't work like that if you got  some fixed costs (i like your optimistic view :3, i really hope we get 100k players too) .

But it's a good theoretical example.

I will just add one thing, i know for sure.

Costs for Devs:

-Engine License

-SFX License

-Ohter License

-Servers

-Energy

-Personal

-HQ

-Equipment

-Others

For a similar Dev group of an indie game. I know that they churn trough 300~400k a month in development cost (and have been doing so for 3 years ;3), aka having two to three servers running + the fixed cost of the whole other stuff. Given that i know little to nothing about cloud servers and how much they cost, i can't really say what we will end up with. But lets say, we will need 10 server shards and the overall cost would end us at around 500k/month, probably.

That means to be selfsustaining they would need arond 33k User, who pay 15 dollars a month.

Which isn't even that much.

Hopefully i'm ways off about what an single server shard costs and how these providers calculate heir cost. But i would say we need around 20k User for sure, to cover ongoing development. Based on how costly all of the other things, except servers are.

The only people that know for sure are the Devs and maybe the investors, that will get an update about cost/etc but need to keep that under a sort of NDA. The only thing we can do, spread the word if we really love the game that once will be there for us all to play. ^^

Wow, very interesting point! Now I have a little imagination of how the price counts for server maintenance, good example :)