New Backer

Good Afternoon,

I have taken the plunge and deiced to support what looks like an amazing ambitious project.  After researching the DU current progress I must say that this game has goals that aligns with most of what i have always looked for for in a game.  Assuming this game delivers I expect I will be playing it for a very long time.  I look forward to playing will all of you and help drive the creation and expansion of this game!

Greetings and welcome. To perhaps share my own  enthusiastic views as I chime in here:

If nothing serious gets in the way and if the core goals and ideas can be delivered in working condition, with many being able to run around in one spot, then I see the biggest potential in that genre or in online games in general. And content for years to come. All from other players, most notably.

At times I feel actually surprised there isn't notably more activity or interest, it seems (by speaking to some on the net or in reality) many still haven't heard about this game, to which I then usually describe it as an "EvE Online and Minecraft (or Space Engineers) hybrid" to give people a rough understanding.

I think in due time we might actually enjoy how relatively quiet or calm it has been, there are surely big aspirations. What gets the most is that it basically tries to apply the EvE idea of that single shard or server people basically play on. A notable part that annoyed me, for example, in other sandbox games that you could loosely compare is that you had to eventually settle on a dedicated server all your progress would be on. What if you found a better server and / or if that server eventually ceased operation? All lost. At the same time, you were always split from a general game community - all you had was your server community. Having all players in one world or, optionally or as other alternative for me, very few mega servers, seems more enticing.

It has pros and cons if you think about it, really. Dedicated servers might allow more customization and unique approaches in some games, indeed. But the risk of failure always lingers. In the end I'd like to enjoy a sandbox game in a world shared by all players. Where your choices matter on a vastly larger scale you might not even be able to comprehend at all times. Think of causality. Anything is possible.

I can already tell thinking about it is somewhat exciting, but at the same time patience is a virtue. In due time we'll see where the journey goes.