Invasions

MechMercant

"Good day, MechMerchant. Conquering another planet is going to be in many ways a military campaign. For instance, let's say MechCorp decides to invade DuckNation's planet.

For the sake of this example, we'll assume DuckNation owns the entire planet. Now, DuckNation was smart and affluent enough to place Territory Control Units in a large fraction of tiles (and if the developers include it, a planetary Control Unit.) 

Now, MechCorp can decide to invade DuckNation's planet and conquer the Planetary Control Unit first, to weaken morale and then proceed to search and destroy each individual Territory Control Unit. But, MechCorp knows that the war will take too long and the cost of the military expenditure is too much to handle, so they switch tactics. 

Instead of launching a prolonged campaign, they either send spies into DuckNation to sabotage the RDMS (which will take time as the spies need to earn the trust of DuckNation's administrators) or they decide to bribe some of the people in charge of the RDMS. 

If MechCorp has the money, influence and manpower, they can even "coerce" DuckNation to pay for security, or give up certain parts of the planet to MechCorp. They could even convince one of DuckNation's allies to help in "coercing" them. Be wary of the friends you keep.

From there, I leave the rest up to your imagination.

"

"Good day, MechMerchant. Conquering another planet is going to be in many ways a military campaign. For instance, let's say MechCorp decides to invade DuckNation's planet.

For the sake of this example, we'll assume DuckNation owns the entire planet. Now, DuckNation was smart and affluent enough to place Territory Control Units in a large fraction of tiles (and if the developers include it, a planetary Control Unit.) 

Now, MechCorp can decide to invade DuckNation's planet and conquer the Planetary Control Unit first, to weaken morale and then proceed to search and destroy each individual Territory Control Unit. But, MechCorp knows that the war will take too long and the cost of the military expenditure is too much to handle, so they switch tactics. 

Instead of launching a prolonged campaign, they either send spies into DuckNation to sabotage the RDMS (which will take time as the spies need to earn the trust of DuckNation's administrators) or they decide to bribe some of the people in charge of the RDMS. 

If MechCorp has the money, influence and manpower, they can even "coerce" DuckNation to pay for security, or give up certain parts of the planet to MechCorp. They could even convince one of DuckNation's allies to help in "coercing" them. Be wary of the friends you keep.

"

Are TCUs and PCUs physical?

"I wonder if the developers will make biological weapons possible. This isn't Plague Inc., but still, it will send chills up the spines."

I was joking .... I hope there are no biological weapons or those would be OP

With biological weapons come hospitals with hospitals come doctors with doctors come medical skills or don't you think so?

"I doubt medical skills we be picked enforce as a career path the way others such as soldiers, industrialists, and so on will be. To be frank with you, I don't think it's even going to be a skill. This isn't Overwatch where a player is designated as a healer and the rest have character buff and restrictions on defense and attack. If such a thing as medical skill/ first aid skills exist in the game, they'll be mostly developed as a side skill--a necessity you wish you didn't need to bother about."

I was joking .... I hope there are no biological weapons or those would be OP

A major immediate orbital strike that is often immediate isn't OP in comparison?

I'd rather have bio weapons you can also fight.

"

So they would create a base where to launch a land war?

Would be smarter to have that and wait for at the n invasion fleet to support the land war.

"I doubt medical skills we be picked enforce as a career path the way others such as soldiers, industrialists, and so on will be. To be frank with you, I don't think it's even going to be a skill. This isn't Overwatch where a player is designated as a healer and the rest have character buff and restrictions on defense and attack. If such a thing as medical skill/ first aid skills exist in the game, they'll be mostly developed as a side skill--a necessity you wish you didn't need to bother about."

If you take the approach that Star Wars Galaxies (pre-NGE obviously), a doctoring profession would be quite useful and highly sought after. Having a medic on board a ship that is far from your resurrection point might be quite valuable. As well as a combat medic could be given certain skills to affect the result of a direct firefight as well (not knowing how personal combat will be like in DU). But being injured on an asteroid or planet far from home, you might appreciate a medic tending to you  ;) 

(http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Medic_(pre-NGE))

(http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor)

Doctors could also be given the skills for player modification, letting players customize (to a certain degree) their appearance. Which in my experience is something a lot of players appreciate.

A doctor could also be skilled in crafting/producing pharmaceuticals in all kind of variations. Stimulants (temporary "buff") to increase everything from HP regain to skill gain. Or something similar to EvE Online's boosters. Either way any increase in any stat or performance would give a similar decrease in other areas

oNufku7.jpg

If you take the approach that Star Wars Galaxies (pre-NGE obviously), a doctoring profession would be quite useful and highly sought after. Having a medic on board a ship that is far from your resurrection point might be quite valuable. As well as a combat medic could be given certain skills to affect the result of a direct firefight as well (not knowing how personal combat will be like in DU). But being injured on an asteroid or planet far from home, you might appreciate a medic tending to you  ;) 

(http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Medic_(pre-NGE))

(http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor)

Doctors could also be given the skills for player modification, letting players customize (to a certain degree) their appearance. Which in my experience is something a lot of players appreciate.

A doctor could also be skilled in crafting/producing pharmaceuticals in all kind of variations. Stimulants (temporary "buff") to increase everything from HP regain to skill gain. Or something similar to EvE Online's boosters. Either way any increase in any stat or performance would give a similar decrease in other areas

oNufku7.jpg

"When you show it in that light, who am I to refuse? It would be excellent to have that kind of profession. Given the fact that immersion is going to be more deep as the game progresses and matures, the doctors will become quite priceless. Like logistics ships and repair crafts, they are essential to the battle, but best kept as far away from it as possible. What the developers might do to compensate for choosing the medical skill as a prime skill, is to reduce the training time slightly compared to others. In that way, our medics still have some skill bonuses to help in defending themselves. For some people, that's cheating. For others, it is only fair, considering how many battles this Universe will have before it even turns one.

"

"When you show it in that light, who am I to refuse? It would be excellent to have that kind of profession. Given the fact that immersion is going to be more deep as the game progresses and matures, the doctors will become quite priceless. Like logistics ships and repair crafts, they are essential to the battle, but best kept as far away from it as possible. What the developers might do to compensate for choosing the medical skill as a prime skill, is to reduce the training time slightly compared to others. In that way, our medics still have some skill bonuses to help in defending themselves. For some people, that's cheating. For others, it is only fair, considering how many battles this Universe will have before it even turns one.

"

I do not think a skill time reduction for any class will be necessary (beyond making low tier skills quicker to learn to medium, high and "elite?" skills), after a while most professions will be populated with people who enjoy them and would train it regardless. To protect the longevity of the game, I would hope nothing is quick. Progression should be (as it is in RL, within reason obviously. It is a game after all) a long process. If you after a few months know all there is to know within your field, you have reached your goal, what then?

Also (not knowing how the final system will be, or any limitations put on it) there is nothing preventing a doctor or medic from being versed in mineral extraction or construction as well. Or other combinations as well. I do hope that you can sculpt a character as you wish (maybe with some limitations, would depend on how it is done) within reason. It is hard to quantify your play style and place that within a box and call it a name. A system with more freedom would offer more players to choose their preferred play style. For example as you mention, giving medics a possibility to skill up in defensive (or offensive) skills as well  ;)

I do not think a skill time reduction for any class will be necessary (beyond making low tier skills quicker to learn to medium, high and "elite?" skills), after a while most professions will be populated with people who enjoy them and would train it regardless. To protect the longevity of the game, I would hope nothing is quick. Progression should be (as it is in RL, within reason obviously. It is a game after all) a long process. If you after a few months know all there is to know within your field, you have reached your goal, what then?

Also (not knowing how the final system will be, or any limitations put on it) there is nothing preventing a doctor or medic from being versed in mineral extraction or construction as well. Or other combinations as well. I do hope that you can sculpt a character as you wish (maybe with some limitations, would depend on how it is done) within reason. It is hard to quantify your play style and place that within a box and call it a name. A system with more freedom would offer more players to choose their preferred play style. For example as you mention, giving medics a possibility to skill up in defensive (or offensive) skills as well  ;)

You are correct. Skills will take time. Hopefuly it is as you said, in that it will take actual hard work and time to achieve those skills, but we'll have to see what exactly they have in store for us.

Skills, as far as known, are meant to deterrent for people wanting to experience everything instantly and an attractor for people who want to take time training in their field. We know that skills will take some time, similar to how it will take months for us to achieve space travel. As we also know, it would take over a year of in game time for a player to achieve space travel alone, so that gives us an idea to the skills and research required to achieve such a feat. 

However, most speculation made based on calculations and information, they will be used for what I mention now.

We speculate that skills may be used for weapons systems, engineering, manufacturing, piloting and so on. There is probably more, but we can guess the better your skills are for weapons systems, the better your hit chance and damage is. The better your engineering skill, the better you are at repairing. You get the point. We estimate skills will work this way, but that's just the guess for now.

As for invasion, yes. It wil be possible and it will be epic. Truly, with the size of things, it will be a major feat and should only be tried by the most worthy and confident.

on one of the YouTube interviews the Dev said in words it would be possible to build a death star - or indeed ... multiple death stars ... as the galaxy is procedural generated and their can be an infinite number of worlds.

It may in fact be that mech corp builds a death star and every one in the universe turns up at the planet to destroy it hahaha

You are correct. Skills will take time. Hopefuly it is as you said, in that it will take actual hard work and time to achieve those skills, but we'll have to see what exactly they have in store for us.

Skills, as far as known, are meant to deterrent for people wanting to experience everything instantly and an attractor for people who want to take time training in their field. We know that skills will take some time, similar to how it will take months for us to achieve space travel. As we also know, it would take over a year of in game time for a player to achieve space travel alone, so that gives us an idea to the skills and research required to achieve such a feat. 

However, most speculation made based on calculations and information, they will be used for what I mention now.

We speculate that skills may be used for weapons systems, engineering, manufacturing, piloting and so on. There is probably more, but we can guess the better your skills are for weapons systems, the better your hit chance and damage is. The better your engineering skill, the better you are at repairing. You get the point. We estimate skills will work this way, but that's just the guess for now.

As for invasion, yes. It wil be possible and it will be epic. Truly, with the size of things, it will be a major feat and should only be tried by the most worthy and confident.

I agree with you. 

1424006.png