Best way to recruit

Holy_Support

I see a potential "thought flaw". It would or could be, in bold:

14 minutes ago, Holy_Support said:

So what is the best way to recruit new members? What is the best way for smal organizations and for bigger ones?

"Best way" is kind of relative if you think about it. "Best way" implies "the only right or fastest way".

But how can there be "the best way" (singular) if it heavily depends on both the organizations and the organization seekers?

My point is, I find the notion of a "universal super recipe" for recruitment flawed, if that is indeed subconsciously or consciously meant. Of course some people will say X or Y are 'the best ways' and that is fine, but to be nitpicky or precise, it all really varies and depends on what you look for and who you look for.

Some groups might try this and get far, others might try the same only to see failure or an inefficient way.

Perhaps I change the wording a bit to reply and provide input to the topic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In short, I don't know what "the best" way would be, but these things would or could likely help in general:

• A refined thread with structure in both content or information and formatting
  • (Other) Promotional material of any kind that has seen at least some care or 'love' (effort)
  • Being present in a subset of the community if it is huge or the general community, if able to
  • Generally being known or able to approach people and interact with them
  • ...and likely a lot more!

I'm guessing you ask this because you aren't just bored or curious, but to see what tips you could apply to your own organization.

With that possibility in mind I would add "patience" to the list or as advice. It can be a long tedious task for starting organizations, and growing is one thing, but keeping that growth can be a different cup of tea, as people come and go.

You can only really recruit if you can attract people. Think about your ideas, what you intend to cover, your goals and how you promote those. You need to be or appear lucrative to others to attract people. You also likely have to experiment a lot to eventually discover what would be "the best way" for your growth or organization.

Just my 2 DAC.

3 minutes ago, Warden said:

I see a potential "thought flaw". It would or could be, in bold:

"Best way" is kind of relative if you think about it. "Best way" implies "the only right or fastest way".

But how can there be "the best way" (singular) if it heavily depends on both the organizations and the organization seekers?

My point is, I find the notion of a "universal super recipe" for recruitment flawed, if that is indeed subconsciously or consciously meant. Of course some people will say X or Y are 'the best ways' and that is fine, but to be nitpicky or precise, it all really varies and depends on what you look for and who you look for.

Some groups might try this and get far, others might try the same only to see failure or an inefficient way.

Perhaps I change the wording a bit to reply and provide input to the topic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In short, I don't know what "the best" way would be, but these things would or could likely help in general:

• A refined thread with structure in both content or information and formatting
  • (Other) Promotional material of any kind that has seen at least some care or 'love' (effort)
  • Being present in a subset of the community if it is huge or the general community, if able to
  • Generally being known or able to approach people and interact with them
  • ...and likely a lot more!

I'm guessing you ask this because you aren't just bored or curious, but to see what tips you could apply to your own organization.

With that possibility in mind I would add "patience" to the list or as advice. It can be a long tedious task for starting organizations, and growing is one thing, but keeping that growth can be a different cup of tea, as people come and go.

You can only really recruit if you can attract people. Think about your ideas, what you intend to cover, your goals and how you promote those. You need to be or appear lucrative to others to attract people. You also likely have to experiment a lot to eventually discover what would be "the best way" for your growth or organization.

Just my 2 DAC.

The only thing I can respond to this is that I really appreciate your answer. And yes this is really to get some tips for my own use. I will read this closely and try to do my best.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no best way, but cookies always work. Also having a plan helps, having a plan people like, works better. And as always being already big helps to get people who want to be relative safe or think being in a big org makes the org provide for them, so being big helps too. But then you need to get big first.

In my experience every org build prio release has a chance to never get actual an org. If you really want to grow, be a member of another organization first. Lets not build a million one man orgs but think first about joining someone else before you decide you want to build something yourself If you are alone. But by all means, DU whatever you like, build a one man org if you want too, but then remember there are loads of those, and practically nobody joins a one man org.

3 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

But by all means, DU whatever you like, build a one man org if you want too, but then remember there are loads of those, and practically nobody joins a one man org.

Which is a shame, really (meaning the last sentence).

I get that smaller or one man groups might be among the least lucrative for "an abstract mass of players" but all orgs have to usually start somewhere. It's a shame that some possibly creative ideas never see the light of day because people are 'risk adverse", not willing to try something in or with smaller orgs, while running ? to the big ones. Those will survive and always find members but the smaller ones struggle.

Of course it's not "wrong" wanting to be in big ones. It's a preference thing. And smaller groups can still find people.

But I'd say the general trend leans in favor to big groups which does not necessarily help smaller groups that need growth.

agree on that. 

It is not that i want to promote big but this seems to be a general approach. Not only in DU but in general. But when there is a size limit this will directly influence the smaller orgs that will grow bigger, although untill there is a room in the bigger/morehyped org and then there will be a vast number of orghoppers

Someone said "COOKIES" ?! Aw i would join any Org that offer me COOKIES, tons of COOKIES....

But everytime reputation always work. It is easy to attract or recruit new guy as you have to camp at the spawn ship when they first log then offer them your Org service. BIG org usually have big reputation already and have a enough amount of people so they wont recruit until they can stability the org or expand the org first. So they will just approve joining request instead go to the spawn point.
Ah memory about the old time when there are 2 kind of guild in the game, one is using everything from all server advertise to PM each single of newbie, the other kind is big and have enough reputation so they just approve joining request when need. so nostalgia.

By having nationalistic ideals that emphasize the superiority of the Helghast!!! i mean.. ehem your organization or whatever.A strong military, and total commitment to the government. With duty, obedience, and loyalty your organization will thrive and new people will join you!!! HAIL ME!

^ I realize it's likely satirical or non-serious, but I'll pick up on that post regardless as it can serve for further discussion :P

I also realize the following topic doesn't directly touch upon the topic "recruitment", but let's put it this way: All the recruiting in the world becomes useless if you f*** up in the next stage, because getting members is one thing but keeping them another.

If anyone is interested, click on the spoiler to see some elaborations. Otherwise, short posting directly relating to the topic below the spoiler. Keeps the post smaller.

-----------------------------------------

Spoiler

From my observations so far, a "cult of personality" around a central figure that personally also kind of demands obedience, being praised or being respected seriously all times never works out long in gaming environments - unless it has some kind of consensual RP context, I think.

I clearly don't have an overmind (or an artificial one) that can look at all sort of groups in a short time and compare, meaning I don't know every situation and there are probably situations where it somehow works out. But by abstract values and maybe history, it never tends to go well in the long run as there are too much dependencies. You'll eventually get people against you, annoy them, get in conflict with them, etc if you're narcissistic or whatever.

I've seen groups get splintered, fall into nothingness or dissolve because of those "leader types". How one intends to establish a grand Empire without even seeing full release due to failure along the way, I don't know.

Again or to compare, a strong figurehead in an organization (or a few) aren't bad. I'd assume often they are needed to advance the organization or create a stable foundation. And a "positive cult of personality" is likely not overly bad or the good example where all stand behind said person(s), who, in turn, are level-headed or 'normal' in general or at least behind the scenes if there are RP aspects where they might portray a tough leader but are, in newspeak, "nice dudes" behind the scenes.

Here's a little actual story - one of likely many

If you exaggerate or simply have a demanding personality, you'll just bring people against you in the long run. There was a guy in another game in another organization who started out among leadership (lower level) in an organization. I think it was PR or HR related, in short, he either dealt with relations or new members. In his position, it seemed to work for a time. Then the main leader or founder of the organization had to go away for some time due to personal reasons and this leader had the stance that he would not have to cling to the technical rights of leader in his absence - so they made someone else the new formal leader. You're smart and likely know where this is going: They made that particular guy the new leader.

It was then when things slowly started to go downhill, it seems. At the latest, the conflict escalated when the founder did come back after some time, maybe a few months at best. By that time the people were already fed up with the new guy who had a "demanding personality", it seems. When they voted to make the old founder the new leader again, the new one ... simply refused to step down. It gets more ironic because the guy causing the mess and refusing to step down often boasted about himself in the general community and even put his IQ and a few of the things he did in his bio. He shared a link showing his certificates of various courses he did plus his CV.

The f***?

If you saw that personality all you could do was shake your head. Completely incompetent to run an organization, get by with fellow members and, furthermore, incompetent in inter-org relations. All he was good for was bragging and demanding things in the end. It gets more ironic due to him saying he was a certified life coach - one that can't apparently coach his own life.

But here's the thing. Without any mild or big RP context and people accepting quirky behaviors, at least on an "in-character" level, you're just another person in the internet to others. Nothing forces them to deal with you if you turn into a hassle. By and large, gaming is a hobby. We all do it to get something good out of it overall. If being in a group or dealing with people tends to turn into a lasting headache, however, people will eventually pick up their things and leave.

Long story short, I'm all for organizational obedience or loyalty (in the positive sense) and good leader types people can rally around. But there can be a fine or even hard defined line when it turns into a negative cult of personality with incompetent demanding leadership that is too full of themselves to see unavoidable failure on the horizon.

But hey. Natural selection always is at work or play in the end. Something either works in the long run or it does not. Likewise, someone (a leader, for example) will either be relatively, moderately or not successful at all.

-----------------------------------------

What can help in recruitment? The following helps, I think:

1) Be seen (advertise)

2) Utilize multimedia (text only is not perceived as well or lucrative in the end or in other words, you do not stand out as much)

3) Be patient if you are convinced of your goals or ideas or organization

4) Question yourselves on occasion to see if something can or should be done differently

I still think there's no "wonder recipe for success". Different organizations (and their managers or leaders) might have different needs or expectations, so it really changes. The things above tend to be more universal though, I think.

Nice arguments warden and a nice and accurate description.  So probably ill indeed stay with cookies in which the cookies also stand for a form of morale and freedom or cosiness towards members. Also what you see alot is promisses of rooms and mobile units but thats also one of the things that can bite you really fast, lets say you have an organization with over 800 members, how will you get all those members a home and a "car" in a relative short time, meaning before they are going to complain "where is my room"

Just buy some of my alts.

Good points made by above posters here. Just be patient and persistent as you start to recruit. But your biggest hurdle will be retention, and keeping things energetic. With the current state of Dual Universe, I advise finding games that you can rally your members behind. The community aspect of your group is more important than anything else, as that is your core. However, recruiting from DUs community right now will be a hard venture as the barrel is a bit empty.

You'll have better luck pulling in new members from other games, which is something BOO has been doing for the last two years. I believe half our member base come from games like Conan Exiles, ESO, Eve Online, Planetside 2, and a few others. It brings in new people to Dual Universe, and you can grow your own community while having fun at the same time.