Connecter

Skeletmaster

one would assume that there will almost certainly be 'space only' ships that carry fighters, landers,  and other types of specific use ships. So booster rockets will just be one ship carrying another ship into space.

17 hours ago, Skeletmaster said:

Then you can build cheaper fighter because you don't need to build in so many tanks 

I'm pretty sure fuel tanks wont need to be huge, just like material storage tanks wont need to be huge, due to the advanced storage tech that DU uses. I think you are trying to solve a non-existent problem. ;)

The connecter can be a block we're you can connect things so you connect your cockpit with the connecter on slot 1 after this you connect on the other side the rockets engines with the connector on slot 1 so if it's connected to each other you can control the engines from one ship to the outher

I still dont get it. A rocket booster is nothing more than a fuel tank with a rocket engine, once the fuel is spent then the booster is jettisoned from the main craft. In DU fuel tanks are tiny by comparison and can feed fuel to the engine on the main craft. There is no need for booster tanks and you have the added benefit of not needing sacrificial engines on the boosters - thus reducing build costs.

You might say 'ahhh then you are carrying around extra weight!"

Naaah, the fuel in the small fuel tank is burnt by the engine, so that mass is gone. In fact the overall mass of the total launch platform is less using the tiny DU fuel tanks. Remember that the tiny fuel tanks store the fuel using some mega tech (its in the lore) meaning you can store, say for example 30 tonnes of fuel within a tank the size of your fist.

In this context rocket boosters, and their ilk, are redundant.

Now, if you are looking at controlling two ships at the same time, then thats likely a lua challenge. Get coding! ;)

I wouldn't use boosters even if it was a thing. You'd have to have somebody on the ground to retrieve them, they would fall on people heads and generally be a pain.

But a connector element. That would be pretty neat. It would be useful in ship transport, or to do things like sending a satellite in orbit or whatever, there would be a tons of nice applications, ship rescue, all that.

You'd need an option on your construct to allow/forbid towing, otherwise the griefing potential would be over the roof. And then it would be pretty good.

1 hour ago, Mephetic said:

I wouldn't use boosters even if it was a thing. You'd have to have somebody on the ground to retrieve them, they would fall on people heads and generally be a pain.

But a connector element. That would be pretty neat. It would be useful in ship transport, or to do things like sending a satellite in orbit or whatever, there would be a tons of nice applications, ship rescue, all that.

You'd need an option on your construct to allow/forbid towing, otherwise the griefing potential would be over the roof. And then it would be pretty good.

A cargo ship would take items into orbit and/or further out.

Items can already be magically taken into/out from storage via 'connectors' and placed in location.

A grappling hook/tractor beam is what you would use to tow a stranded ship - though might also be used to slow one down in battle. (which aint griefing, thats PvP ;) ) (AFAIK none of which currently exist int the game)

Naturally if someone tried to do that, you would shoot them while you try to run away. And no, you dont get a "dont tow me" option just the same as you dont get a 'dont shoot me' option. ;)

1 minute ago, CoreVamore said:

Naturally if someone tried to do that, you would shoot them while you try to run away. And no, you dont get a "dont tow me" option just the same as you dont get a 'dont shoot me' option. ;)

No you wouldn't because you would be offline parked in a safe zone while a jerk is stealing/destroying your ship. As a matter of fact, you do have a don't shoot me option, and the tractor beam you describe would circumvent it.

I mean I guess being forced to park all your ships in hangars ain't the end of the world. But if the main purpose of an item is to ruin people's day, I don't know, maybe don't create it. 

I didn't know about the storage magic. I guess it would do the job. It's less cool tho.

11 minutes ago, Mephetic said:

No you wouldn't because you would be offline parked in a safe zone while a jerk is stealing/destroying your ship.As a matter of fact, you do have a don't shoot me option, and the tractor beam you describe would circumvent it.

I mean I guess being forced to park all your ships in hangars ain't the end of the world. But if the main purpose of an item is to ruin people's day, I don't know, maybe don't create it. 

I didn't know about the storage magic. I guess it would do the job. It's less cool tho.

Um, if you are parked in a safe zone then nobody can steal/destroy anything of yours, including using tractor beams etc etc etc, its a SAFE zone.....

Storage magic, yes, being able to store tones and tones of material within a small cube - yes - storage magic :) To be able to link your hand to a storage tank - storage magic! :o To be able to transfer from storage cubes in your freighter to a dock storage cube with a simple link - Yes Storage Magic! :D

2 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

Um, if you are parked in a safe zone then nobody can steal/destroy anything of yours, including tractor beams etc etc etc, its a SAFE zone.....

I wasn't talking about a weapon, I was talking about a general utility item. Something to transport and tow things. Having it simply not work in safe zone would be strange wouldn't it?

3 minutes ago, Mephetic said:

I wasn't talking about a weapon, I was talking about a general utility item. Something to transport and tow things. Having it simply not work in safe zone would be strange wouldn't it?

One mans hammer is anothers club, so towing of other peoples items would be a no-no in a safe zone. (Unless you have access rights to their builds - thats something else entirely)

so, what was the topic about again? Connectors, right? Would be swell. We could Power Ranger our ships into a big ship. Or better yet, how I use it in Space Engineers, create a jump-ship or space-atmo lifter that large ships can latch on to so these ships don't have to install an expensive jump-drive. Mind you, I am talking multiple ships latching onto a single jumper :).

4 hours ago, Omfgreenhair said:

so, what was the topic about again? Connectors, right? Would be swell. We could Power Ranger our ships into a big ship. Or better yet, how I use it in Space Engineers, create a jump-ship or space-atmo lifter that large ships can latch on to so these ships don't have to install an expensive jump-drive. Mind you, I am talking multiple ships latching onto a single jumper :).

Thanks that is what i mean