City/Country/Planetary ownership/management mechanics

Snowfox

Since DU will emphasize emergent gameplay, the players need mechanics to self organize once they surpass Organization level. Suggesting following mechanics for establishing and running the city/country:

• An item called "City Beacon"(placeholder name, can be called anything) will be available either for purchase or crafting ingame.
  • Crafting or purchasing this item should require a LOT of time and resources. We do not want cities spammed all across the planet. 
  • Deploying the CB reserves the land in a certain radius for the deploying person or their organization.
  • Only the owner or people given permission by the owner can build in the reserved radius. In specific cases the owner can give permission to specific people to build only in a specific plot (enables owners to sell land plots or give them to specific people)
  • CB can be upgraded to reserve land in more radius. This should be also very expensive. Upgrade only happens if there are no other cities in the new upgraded radius as well as no other player built structures. This promotes geopolitical conflicts and interactions.
  • Permissions on different management aspects can be transferred or given to specific people (distribute the management workload)
  • City owner can create a structure of "titles". Eg: Citizen, Police Officer, Land Manager, Mayor, etc. Each title can be given specific permissions and be assigned to players. (This will also be useful in the upcoming Job/Mission suggestion where jobs or missions can be limited to specific titles)
  • CB can be taken over/captured. Capturing CB transfers ownership and management rights to the capturer. Capturing the CB should take long time and require immediate presence or engagement with CB. 
  • X (e.g. 3,5,10) number of cities can be banded together into Country. Country borders are set to the outlying city perimeter. All the land inside the perimeter is now in country ownership. naturally when creating the country there should not be a city within the perimeter that does not belong to that country. Cities under different ownership can "join" the country. This creates country vs country warfare and geopolitical conflict possibilities. 
  • Finally the whole planet can be claimed by 1 country, but that requires that planet has no cities on it that do not belong to that country. I dream to one day witness planetary level warfare.

Sound off in comments and I will add/update suggestion bullets as needed.

You should read this

Most of what you describe should be possible with the RDMS and Territory Units. It would be up to the players to decide how to organize themselves and how to organize territories.

Thanks for referring me to this! Its very close to what I had in mind.

A couple of things that I think the design can be improved on:

1. Hexagonal division into the territories: I can't think of any technical limitations or otherwise requirement to pre-divide the planet into territories. Why not let players select where they want to create their territory and then give them either a circle or a hexagon radius from that spot?

2. "Arkification"- no matter how rare or hard it will be to "Arkify" your territory, this feature will break the balance of the game. Eventually every territory will be claimed and eventually all of them will be Arkified and there will be no more geopolitical interaction.

Overall looks like my thoughts lined up with what the project lead had in mind although I think they should make RDMS a bit granular so that the management system does not only consist of Org to Org relations/permissions, but rather can be managed on per-player bases sometimes. E.g. I may not be in any Org but I'd like to become a "citizen" of a city belonging to an Org. By granting me the "citizen" title I can keep my non-affiliated status and NOT be a member of org, but still have some rights within that city.

1. Hexagonal division into the territories: I can't think of any technical limitations or otherwise requirement to pre-divide the planet into territories. Why not let players select where they want to create their territory and then give them either a circle or a hexagon radius from that spot?

2. "Arkification"- no matter how rare or hard it will be to "Arkify" your territory, this feature will break the balance of the game. Eventually every territory will be claimed and eventually all of them will be Arkified and there will be no more geopolitical interaction.

Overall looks like my thoughts lined up with what the project lead had in mind although I think they should make RDMS a bit granular so that the management system does not only consist of Org to Org relations/permissions, but rather can be managed on per-player bases sometimes. E.g. I may not be in any Org but I'd like to become a "citizen" of a city belonging to an Org. By granting me the "citizen" title I can keep my non-affiliated status and NOT be a member of org, but still have some rights within that city.

I think there will be some way to destroy arkificated things or the arkification thingy will be so expensive that it will require 100000 hours to obtain.

Another one who didn't bother reading the DevBlogs.

They are called Territory Claim Units, they have a radius of 20 Km.

The TCU can administrate who can build in the city's radius.

You can indeed read up on all the nice devblogs
HERE .

Also, don't forget to check Cybrex's compilation on all the questions answered by the Devs, HERE.

Have fun having all your questions answered.

"A pleasant day to you, Snowfox. The "tile" basis was already highlighted in the Territory unit devblog. I suggest you refer to this post by Cybrex here and the developer's blog it references here

I respectfully disagree with your second point. In my opinion, arkification will cause the opposite. Arkified tokens aren't simply just placed and activated, they will take time to do so. And, obviously like many other things, they should be able to be subject to theft. Dropping and activating an Arkified token isn't and shouldn't be the end of the discussion. They will be rare, expensive and rightly so. But they should not be final in ownership. I trust the developers know that much. Some wars may be fought simply over the ownership of Arkified tokens. 

As for the specifics of the RDMS system, they have already been discussed in exhaustive detail.

I can see you're still relatively new, and I'll spare you the rebuke to stop others from jumping in on this. Please reference, once again, Cybrex's post here and the developer's blog here. The Rights, Duties and Management System will be very deep to the level of individual, intra-organisational and inter-organisational levels. 

I hope you have a good day."

from what I understand you can assign tags through the RDMS to a by person level.

you can read about RDMS HERE

I think there will be some way to destroy arkificated things or the arkification thingy will be so expensive that it will require 100000 hours to obtain.

There are so many tiles, its going to be hard to control a whole planet with so much free room.

Either you expand at your own pace and risk another faction taking land somewhere else to just place nodes all over for hours.

"A pleasant day to you, Snowfox. The "tile" basis was already highlighted in the Territory unit devblog. I suggest you refer to this post by Cybrex here and the developer's blog it references here

I respectfully disagree with your second point. In my opinion, arkification will cause the opposite. Arkified tokens aren't simply just placed and activated, they will take time to do so. And, obviously like many other things, they should be able to be subject to theft. Dropping and activating an Arkified token isn't and shouldn't be the end of the discussion. They will be rare, expensive and rightly so. But they should not be final in ownership. I trust the developers know that much. Some wars may be fought simply over the ownership of Arkified tokens. 

As for the specifics of the RDMS system, they have already been discussed in exhaustive detail.

I can see you're still relatively new, and I'll spare you the rebuke to stop others from jumping in on this. Please reference, once again, Cybrex's post here and the developer's blog here. The Rights, Duties and Management System will be very deep to the level of individual, intra-organisational and inter-organisational levels. 

I hope you have a good day."

from what I understand you can assign tags through the RDMS to a by person level.

you can read about RDMS HERE

Thanks for your replies guys. Unfortunately most of the content in Devlogs was buried deep and I did not expect to see this content before things like first screenshot. I'm glad to see most of stuff is very close to what I proposed, only makes me more anxious to play the game.

Another one who didn't bother reading the DevBlogs.

It takes just a quick glance, maybe three seconds, for someone to evaluate you when you meet for the first time. In this short time, the other person forms an opinion about you based on your appearance, your body language, your demeanor, your mannerisms, and how you are dressed.

With every new encounter, you are evaluated and yet another person's impression of you is formed. These first impression can be nearly impossible to reverse or undo, making those first encounters extremely important, for they set the tone for all the relationships that follows.

So, whether they are in your career or social life, it's important to know how to create a good first impression. 

(Above is a copy from an article, not my work)

Opening with an inflammatory and elitist attitude as your first sentence towards the person you are addressing for the first time ever,  does not leave a good first impression. I am sure you are a nice person and by no means am I lecturing you. Just providing a feedback on how that looks. Your response was perfect without the first line, I thank you for it.

So, whether they are in your career or social life, it's important to know how to create a good first impression. 

(Above is a copy from an article, not my work)

Opening with an inflammatory and elitist attitude as your first sentence towards the person you are addressing for the first time ever,  does not leave a good first impression. I am sure you are a nice person and by no means am I lecturing you. Just providing a feedback on how that looks. Your response was perfect without the first line, I thank you for it.

Well, I did provide a DevBlog link below, as well as Cybrex's compilation which is stickered on top of the Arkship Pub section for people to see first and foremost on the list.

Most people, do not check for answers.

You should also keep up with the DUAL Universe twitter account, they answer all sorts of questions there.

If by any means you find Cybrex's post to be chaotic, please, send me a PM and I can provide you with direct answers if needed or wanted. I am good at TL ; DR answers, as I demosntrated above on the Territory Claim Unit the TCU and how it functions, and a quick glance on the Ridghts and Duties Management System DevBlog may provide you with all the answers of how managing a city claim can work.

Your post is of merit, you at least figured out the game mechanics intutively (many of them at least), which means you are not someone who would ask "how can a planet be made of boxes and be a sphere" (a question which was asked and was quite jarring).

I should mention, I'm no NovaQuark employee, I'm just a guy with spare time to provide answers and sources if need be or, as I mentioned, Cybrex's post may be chaotic to read (which is funny, cause he did revamp the previous structure of the post once already and his feelings would be hurt :P )