What kind of city or base would you like to build.

SquidGun

I was wondering about this subject. I've seen some posts about ship building, but not many about cities and bases. 

Personally, I would like to build a replica of the Black Mesa base from Half Life. It might not be very functional, but I think it would be extremely cool. 

Another design I would like to try building is the city of Omikron from the game, Omikron: The Nomad Soul.  For those of you who have never heard of this game, it came out in 1999 and featured David Bowie. It was made in France just like this game and was just as innovative for it's time.  It was set in a vast city built under a dome and had sections with very different architectural styles.  

Do you have any kinds of plans for this yet?  Are there any designs that you would like to see people build?

You mention Black Mesa, aka places from games.

While that would surely be "cool", I like to think it is often problematic - depending on the game or plot, you often just see snippets of some area. Black Mesa is large and quite covered in the core game and two major addons (or let's say one major and one moderate addon) but even larger if you look at what's hinted at - major areas outside or at least installations and buildings dottet all over, a giant underground area (a lot is blocked or closed) and more. Meaning that if you really tried to build a copy you'd have to fill in many many blanks.

One can of course question how logical the design may seem afterwards. Then again I think it's a giant project in itself.

Having some kind of reference is helpful. I personally favor games where you can actually design areas or bases. "Prison architect" or "Rimworld" are good examples and somewhat tile-based, meaning that you can actually use those to design "blueprints" for bases or structures to some extend.

A secret underground base with loads of secret passages and places to hide ships and cargo...but shhh, it's a secret!

I may or may not have been planning the same or similar type of structure.  Or I may not have or do not plan on it .... but maybe I do .... ummmm yeah ..  :ph34r:

I want to build a frontier trade outpost and saloon.  It would be cool to bring people together in game and start a township on the edge of explored territories and watch it grown and progress overtime, fighting off bandits and eventually developing our own customs and politics.

The way I see it, without NPCs or fast travel the only place to get equipment will be the ark and the only place to get resources will be the frontier, people will be forced to work together or spend hours and hour hauling inventories of unrefined ore back to the auction houses at the ARK.

I envision that at first there will be some random pmlace where people will start joining, that would end up being a major trade hub.

This would happen repeatedly during alpha and beta stages and re-built after wipes, as players figure out how to optimize.

Once DU goes live, this would be the main hub, for no other reason than history, and because humans have a tendency to create these centers, and expand from them.

Not sure how territory ownership would support an independent place other than this being in a safe zone, and if you have a chance, could build there your hangar/house.

Moon base Alpha from the Space : 1999 SF serie ! :D Watched it as a young boy and it fuelled my imagination for many years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbase_Alpha_(Space:_1999)

I would not mind trying for the Ship as well, the Eagle. It came with different configurations such as Reconnaisance, Transport/Supply, Laboratory and Combat of course.

dx1ghJS.jpg

I want to build a frontier trade outpost and saloon.  It would be cool to bring people together in game and start a township on the edge of explored territories and watch it grown and progress overtime, fighting off bandits and eventually developing our own customs and politics.

The way I see it, without NPCs or fast travel the only place to get equipment will be the ark and the only place to get resources will be the frontier, people will be forced to work together or spend hours and hour hauling inventories of unrefined ore back to the auction houses at the ARK.

This is pretty much how its been described in the videos, there will be a 20km radius safe area around the ARK where everyone spawns. This eventually will become the first city as people would naturally want to set up factories and shops in a safe area.