NQ-Nyzaltar

DevBlog - Feedback on New Engine and Ship Dynamics

Nice changes o7

I especially love the antigrav generators with the pads, those will certainly be valuable and a prime target.

Good to see this update and progress.

Is there any new info on the servertech? Like new tests, Performance updates or else? (Besides the one servertech video in YouTube from years ago). I just think that ppl would be really interested how that works out so far

I am a little confused at why anti-grav engines just stop working 1km above the surface. Why can we not use these for take off and landing?

9 minutes ago, Destrin said:

I am a little confused at why anti-grav engines just stop working 1km above the surface. Why can we not use these for take off and landing?

They aren't engines. They should not be used for take-off or landing, at least that's my understanding.

From the dev-blog:

This altitude can be set by the player, but cannot go below 1000m.  So, you can still land with a large ship, but you need some rocket boosters to lift it up at least over 1000m to be able to then activate the Antigrav Generator.

They  start working 1000m above the surface. I imagine that these are meant for very large structures that wont be doing a lot of moving and are too massive to use vertical boosters or other methods, such as logistics or support vessels, floating cities, and other sky-based structures.

*inhaaaaaaales* Yes! \o/

I know this isn't a Q&A, but now after I read I got a few things I'd like to bring up.

First off, thank you for allowing v-boosters to be allowed for use in space. Having to use vertical space engines was really unpredictable due to that rev up time.

As far as wings are concerned, I know we already have the small elemental types, but would we be able to create our own wings out of voxels to create the same effect? Currently, my shuttle (my baby that I've had since the second or third test ;_; ) with my name emblazoned in light elements for a touch of irony has wings but those are of course, nonfunctional and purely decorative.

Will we also be seeing larger wing elements in the future? Perhaps ones with functional ailerons?

I'm no expert but I can deduce that energy put in would equal energy put out. Why would engines use more fuel when going slower rather than faster? I understand that it would take more fuel to get something moving from a dead stop, but once something is cruising at whatever its lowest throttle set point I feel as if the force put out should equal the force going in. If they're specifically meant for going at high speed (as specified), would there possiably be a future engine for use at slow speed with better fuel consumption?

"helicopter-like dynamics", I'm assuming you mean the ability to hover in place?

I'm quite excited for the damage model changes, bumpers (bumper hover cars anyone), and landing gear being used for shock absorption.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't there supposed to be a second dev-diary as well?

Looks good.

Must admit I think I would like to try programming engines running in thrust and torque modes at the same time to see if I could get a working ship without the reliance on thrusters.

Secondly, if i cover a wing in my own voxels, so it matches in with my ship style, would the wing still work as intended? (This may be a temporary way for players to create their own wings without actually creating actual working wings)

Keep up the great work :)

English (deepl used)

Hello, NQ,
nice to see, but pictures say more than a thousand words.

For example, diagrams of the thrust curve in Newton per time and atmospheric density and the power consumption of the engines would be more meaningful.

I assume that all new toys have to be bought from the NPC dealer to try them out.

German (original)

Hallo NQ,
alles ganz nett, aber Bilder sagen mehr als tausend Worte.

So wären Diagramme über den Schubverlauf in Newton pro Zeit und Atmosphärendichte, sowie  der Verbrauch der Triebwerke in Bezug auf die Leistung aussagekräftiger.

Ich gehe mal davon aus das alle neuen Spielsachen beim NPC-Händler gekauft werden müssen um sie auszuprobieren.

Die Waldfee

1 minute ago, huschhusch said:
For example, diagrams of the thrust curve in Newton per time and atmospheric density and the power consumption of the engines would be more meaningful.

I would expect that changes to these would be too common for them to keep something like this updated for now.  This is something that can be generated by the playerbase (though it wouldn't be shared outside of pre-alpha members)

This is such cool news,  I couldn't be more excited, A few questions though.

How does Anti-Grav Generators effect Static Consructs?

Do Static Constructs need Anti-Grav Generators to stay airborne? like if I build a floating city building with a Static construct, would I need to put Anti-Grav Generators on it to make it float in place?

Also, I to am wondering if we cover the "Wing Element" in voxels, would the wings still work/function? This could greatly effect the design process for builders, so I'm very curious.

You guys/gals at Novaquark are amazing, I eagerly look forward to the next Devblog.

4 hours ago, supermega said:

Do Static Constructs need Anti-Grav Generators to stay airborne? like if I build a floating city building with a Static construct, would I need to put Anti-Grav Generators on it to make it float in place?

You can make mountains float by cutting the bottom out from under them - so fixed/static structures would be the same and wouldnt need any form of engine to stay aloft ;)

11 hours ago, supermega said:

How does Anti-Grav Generators effect Static Consructs?

Seem like it can only use for dynamic construct as it can move but the static construct isnt move you know ? So from the begining the static construct maybe have 2 kind: one to make base on the planet surface and other one is to make a space station. (i read it from dev diary some where ?! i forgot it)

The anti-Grav only help those dynamic costruct stop being pull back to the ground by the gravity. 

So your answer is: None, you dont need it for static construct as it wont ever able to make fly city.

As I mentioned in another thread too...

For gameplay reasons, I strongly support the idea of voxels only being relevant for mass/weight calculations. Wings, engines, collision damage etc, should all ignore them, except for the weight and mass distribution.

People will want to create cool and realistic looking ships. I honestly think "look a flying cube" will be a short lived and irrelevant novelty, and the ability to create unique and varied will add so much more to the beauty of the game. If the elements have to be exposed to work, then that will greatly limit the variety. 

Oh and for the record, this means that you should need to use a distribution of heat sync elements for re-entry rather then force a particular voxel deployment.

Collision damage could likewise simply pass through voxels so, if you run head on into a wall with an engine, and it takes x damage, if you put 20 rows of voxels in front if it, the engine still takes x damage. protection bumpers would be functional elements that could also be coated in voxels for unique designs.

Hows about grav-generators are able to accelerate objects in ships relativ to the ships down to zero velocity? (or just set obejects to zero velocity inide a dynamic objekt) So your unmountet stuff don't bump in your ship around and damage it from the inside.

Indeed an antigrav generator could be used to even lift of objects by turning the antigrav to negativ values. That would also be very good for the environment around the starting ship. No blast from rockets (or anything else) to the ground. If you look at the rocket blast zones as of todays launch platforms .. you will understand what I mean :)

Currently not planned here - but in general implemented with the limitation to 1000m

NQ- love it!!!

To keep things creative, I understand allowing use of any part in any construct. That being said, I feel as if we should have separate categories within the market. We should have different categories for hover vessel functionaily, atmospheric flight, and space. I like how you’ve designated the cores at different sizes. If I want to build a strictly hover capable craft, I’d like to be able to filter the market to ensure I’m purchasing the best parts for the job. For example, right now my hover is not as responsive at turning as I would like, even though I have adjusters all over it.

Thank you for everything! Keep up the good work!