Ship Notoriety/Naming

Majestic

I don't know if they plan to let us name the schematics we make or to name our ships.

But what about some sort of fame system for the ships. Kill X amount of ships and you unlock the option to give THAT ship a unique name, survive X amount of attacks, win X amount of Duels etc.

Possibly a set of pre-defined titles that have positive and negative alignments depending on your actions.  Have the titles show when your near the ships if you want epeen, although that would probably just flag you to be attacked.  The problem with player choice maybe that there would be some ridiculous names.

Then some sort of risk/reward for keeping that ship, example, kill 10 and you get 10% of the cost of repairs or something, kill 20 you get 20% off etc up to a maximum.

Then if someone kills that ship, the name is lost and goes into some hall of fame on a forum or in game.  You could use the list of names to see which names are available to use again or make them 1 time use on the server only.

Killing a named ship could also offer rewards, maybe it counts as 2 kills towards your own ships title or your next repair gets whatever % off depending on the ships notoriety level.

Someone might want to collect named ships as a hobby or some Organizations could use it as a requirement for certain ranks, or.....

That's some WoW stuff.

In sandbox mmos, you don't grind experience by grinding bars. Your titles are not name elongators above your avatar.

In fact, names won't be visible above the players' heads in-game, as it would make the screen impossible to read or even pleasant in large scale battles. (the server tech video is in debug mode, it was that way for the presentation).

Plus, the Core Units on a ship keep track of the ship's name and all that. So, word of mouth = the best notoriety. Instead of some arbitrtrary chievo on a tab.

Stop comparing ideas to wow, your obsessed with that game. This isnt a wow idea. It's an idea to add activities to the game. If you don't like it then don't take part as in other sandbox mmo's.  The names don't have to show, as I said 'show them if you want the Epeen, although that would make you a target', some players do like that sort of thing, its a choice. It could just be something that runs in the background for other players, encouraging pvp, trading and crafting.

The equivalent in Wow would be getting a title for your horse. :wacko:

Stop comparing ideas to wow, your obsessed with that game. This isnt a wow idea. It's an idea to add activities to the game. If you don't like it then don't take part as in other sandbox mmo's.  The names don't have to show, as I said 'show them if you want the Epeen, although that would make you a target', some players do like that sort of thing, its a choice. It could just be something that runs in the background for other players, encouraging pvp, trading and crafting.

The equivalent in Wow would be getting a title for your horse. :wacko:

First.

Second, names will only be shown on tabbing a person in your crosshairs. An arbitrary title is arbitraray, UNLESS, the devs do the Lineage 2 thign, where an organisation of a certain status had the ability to assign titles to its members. That could be cool, having your organisation's rank show up in public uppon being tagged by others.

For example, a lieutenant would need to have the visual distinction of lieutenant in their names, while a private would have the Pvt. infront.

It's a good idea this way, but having titles that the game throws arbitrarily is silly. Who decides your status? The magic government that doesn't police anything? :P

Perhaps a faction can brand a player the same way I suggested above. Like, having "Outlaw" in front of a player's name the organisation has black-listed. I don't know, whatever :P

First.

Second, names will only be shown on tabbing a person in your crosshairs. An arbitrary title is arbitraray, UNLESS, the devs do the Lineage 2 thign, where an organisation of a certain status had the ability to assign titles to its members. That could be cool, having your organisation's rank show up in public uppon being tagged by others.

For example, a lieutenant would need to have the visual distinction of lieutenant in their names, while a private would have the Pvt. infront.

It's a good idea this way, but having titles that the game throws arbitrarily is silly. Who decides your status? The magic government that doesn't police anything? :P

Perhaps a faction can brand a player the same way I suggested above. Like, having "Outlaw" in front of a player's name the organisation has black-listed. I don't know, whatever :P

He talked about naming invidual ships and he said nothing about player names.

I don't know if they plan to let us name the schematics we make or to name our ships.

But what about some sort of fame system for the ships. Kill X amount of ships and you unlock the option to give THAT ship a unique name, survive X amount of attacks, win X amount of Duels etc.

Possibly a set of pre-defined titles that have positive and negative alignments depending on your actions.  Have the titles show when your near the ships if you want epeen, although that would probably just flag you to be attacked.  The problem with player choice maybe that there would be some ridiculous names.

Then some sort of risk/reward for keeping that ship, example, kill 10 and you get 10% of the cost of repairs or something, kill 20 you get 20% off etc up to a maximum.

Then if someone kills that ship, the name is lost and goes into some hall of fame on a forum or in game.  You could use the list of names to see which names are available to use again or make them 1 time use on the server only.

Killing a named ship could also offer rewards, maybe it counts as 2 kills towards your own ships title or your next repair gets whatever % off depending on the ships notoriety level.

Someone might want to collect named ships as a hobby or some Organizations could use it as a requirement for certain ranks, or.....

Basically everything will be player-driven.

Somebody will have to keep track of the ship names and such plus players has to do the hall of fame.

If a player makes a ship and kills X amount of other players in that ship, there must be some automated way of keeping track of your kill count. Once that number is reach you get the option to rename your ship 'millenium falcon or enterprise' whatever, makes it unique.  you get 1% off repair cost/resource gain etc,  per player killed after reaching the kill count up to a maximum to keep it sane.

If you don't want to take part in it then don't rename your ship, once its renamed that specific ship will always be known as that until it's destroyed. Once that ships destroyed the ship is gone along with the title.  The player that killed you, gets a perk to his own kill count because he killed a named ship, even if they didnt know it was a named ship, just get an alert on the kill saying it was.

Someone trying to max out their bonus or gain a title maybe more careful with their ship in combat as a result and combat wouldn't just be a flat out deathmatch.

Or even mingle these reknown ships with the game lore. Whatevers the most fun.

If a player makes a ship and kills X amount of other players in that ship, there must be some automated way of keeping track of your kill count. Once that number is reach you get the option to rename your ship 'millenium falcon or enterprise' whatever, makes it unique.  you get 1% off repair cost/resource gain etc,  per player killed after reaching the kill count up to a maximum to keep it sane.

If you don't want to take part in it then don't rename your ship, once its renamed that specific ship will always be known as that until it's destroyed. Once that ships destroyed the ship is gone along with the title.  The player that killed you, gets a perk to his own kill count because he killed a named ship, even if they didnt know it was a named ship, just get an alert on the kill saying it was.

Someone trying to max out their bonus or gain a title maybe more careful with their ship in combat as a result and combat wouldn't just be a flat out deathmatch.

Or even mingle these reknown ships with the game lore. Whatevers the most fun.

Sounds interresting but i think there wont be a global system for naming. But if you want to you will be available to paint the name on your ship.

Kill count would be a really good feature.

Sounds interresting but i think there wont be a global system for naming. But if you want to you will be available to paint the name on your ship.

Just don't cry if the game ends up becoming full of Call of Duty mentality and tea-bagging. People wiil be griefing you over and over if a kill-count is implemented and some silly thing like "ship names" like there is some magical super-power that annoints you as the "Scourge of the Seven Seas" or something.

It's a sadbox game. You get to call yourself "The Deadliest Predator" and you then got to put the cojones first if people come after you contesting the title you have.

That's a sandbox, what the OP suggests is a WoW idea of titles. 

OP's idea of titles = arbitrary and griefers' fuel.

Sandbox naming of ships = emergent gameplay. You know, the reason we are all (mostly) here.

If I want to name my ship "Unsinkable", then I should expect my hubris to attract the attentino of everyone who wants to contest my ship's sinking abiilities.

If I name my ship "A Little Girl" and beat the crap out of everyone in my way, I get to say the punchline "Beaten by A Little Girl". Why? Because emergent gameplay.

Although, the enemies of A Little Girl will definitely be submerging under the weight of pure salt.

"

I second the kill count idea, but to be honest, kill enough people and they'll remember you, kill count or not. Should you become too aggressive or a loose cannon, people will give you a name, whether or not you have one.

As for the ship naming idea, it should be limited to a field under "more information", by right-clicking or interacting with it in some way.

Painting your name on the ship or craft is another viable idea. Organisations and alliances will want to put their mark on the crafts and properties of their members and it will to an extent, reduce the possibilities of unintended friendly fire.

"

In real life does a bar pop above your head with a gold title that shows you've killed ten people?

No?

Then why should a sandbox mmo that is meant to imitate the real universe do so?

Exactly. I want my ship's name to be something that people think passively, not something that pop-up like a neon sign.

I want people to be scared of the Little Girl (my shio's name) in an innate nature nature. I want them to be afraid of little girls becuase my ship's name is the one being notorious, so much, that people copy it and are being ridiculed for being wannabes.

Ships having names is an okay notion, it's a part of the gameplay, you have a Core Unit and you name the construct you've built. It's up to your skill then if you become infamous.