Dual Universe ATC Idea

musicianmadness

Having gone through pilot training in real life, and having toured and been involved in multiple airports, I have a decent background in avionics. Recently an idea for Dual Universe came to mind as I was considering flight in real life. The idea I thought of was implementing an Air Traffic Control (ATC) concept into the game. However, I do not know if this is possible with just LUA or if it would need extra help and features from the game developers. My idea was that a player could have a computer screen and it would show a similar layout to real life ATC windows (the stereotypical screen of multiple circles on the display with dots and callsigns symbolizing the various aircraft in that airspace [e.g. : pictured below]). One major issue with the concept is that, in space, one would have to consider 3 dimensions of movement/approach of air/space vessels. This led me to the dea that maybe instead of a computer screen, a hologram would be more efficient. The hologram would project a center marked at the projector's position and other constructs would be marked relative to the center mark depending on where they are in space. However the latter implementation of the idea would require LUA editable holograms (which would be really cool).
357d11087727a187a30f093a45836dd6--aviati

1 minute ago, musicianmadness said:

Having gone through pilot training in real life, and having toured and been involved in multiple airports, I have a decent background in avionics. Recently an idea for Dual Universe came to mind as I was considering flight in real life. The idea I thought of was implementing an Air Traffic Control (ATC) concept into the game. However, I do not know if this is possible with just LUA or if it would need extra help and features from the game developers. My idea was that a player could have a computer screen and it would show a similar layout to real life ATC windows (the stereotypical screen of multiple circles on the display with dots and callsigns symbolizing the various aircraft in that airspace [e.g. : pictured below]). One major issue with the concept is that, in space, one would have to consider 3 dimensions of movement/approach of air/space vessels. This led me to the dea that maybe instead of a computer screen, a hologram would be more efficient. The hologram would project a center marked at the projector's position and other constructs would be marked relative to the center mark depending on where they are in space. However the latter implementation of the idea would require LUA editable holograms (which would be really cool).
357d11087727a187a30f093a45836dd6--aviati

I beleive Lethys has mentioned some people already working on a 3d positioning system.  They wouldn't be able to share how it works, or access the the system itself because of the NDA.

7 minutes ago, Felonu said:

I beleive Lethys has mentioned some people already working on a 3d positioning system.  They wouldn't be able to share how it works, or access the the system itself because of the NDA.

That sounds great! I was thinking that someone ought to be thinking/planning/working on an idea like this by now. Do you by chance know how it would work though? Has NovaQuark stated whether or not they are planning/working on a radar or similar system? Just curious if you knew, I haven't heard of anything like that.

2 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

Great idea. However, I wouldnt expect anyone would take instruction of when/where they could take off or land. So it would be mostly used as a tracking system.

You could probably persuade them to "take instruction" by mounting a few autocannons around the landing pad... ;)