How Much Can The One Shard Universe Handle?

MaximusFireFight

So I just got a cool thought. If someone wanted to be a small knit squad or something..or maybe even go solo...and the universe is endless..would that person just fly into deep space..and just keep going until there is no one? How far could you actually go?  Could you really fly so far away from the "spawn" (that is what I will say) that there will be no one?

With the game still being in development and a lot uncertain (planned or not, time will really tell), you'd basically have to consider

1) (potential) long range scanning or detection methods

2) People having the same idea

If it will indeed become a huge universe to play in (think of like Mine craft's theoretical size of 8 times the size of ?), then I think there will be plenty of spots to hide. But consider the downsides if you want to get back to the 'civilized' worlds. And the thing is you can never really know for certain how long you may or will be 'hidden'.

A potential hassle I still see is getting back. If you fly a literal week into one direction you need the same time to get back. That's not even considering (player) hazards along the way, possibly being traced or just logistics. And then getting back again once your business or whatever is taken care of. The longer you intend to travel away from the starting zones, the more vital small resupply outposts might become.

Lets say you have a vacation for a week or two and your not at home and leave DU running and hopefully avoid any planets or moons, that would bring you a long way, And with the right stuff you can build an entire civilization there before any player will arive by accident :)

DU tries to be somewhat realistic with its distances (in its limits) thus you wont be able to travel to other solar systems with sub light speed. Just randomly flying into one direction will be quite boring and lead to nothing. And FTL will be archieved by jumpgates for which you have to send out a drone to the solar system you're interested first.

12 minutes ago, vylqun said:

And FTL will be archieved by jumpgates for which you have to send out a drone to the solar system you're interested first.

Not neccessarily. There are ftl drives too which are much faster than normal ones (only minutes to reach a Body in the same system instead of hours). 

Stargates are the fastest (instant) means to travel once established (which needs time)

I don't think NQ want players flying off to colonise their "own systems", so I expect they'll make it very hard to do outside of the "planned expansion" represented by the introduction of stargate mechanics. I may be wrong, time will tell.

If there's no way to measure the distance to those little dots of light in the sky, you could potentially fly for months without "getting there". You may never get there...

I expect that once the stargate expansion arrives, we'll be given the means to target a specific set of stars, so that jumpgates can be built. I do not expect that we'll be able to expand in any and all directions. That can easily be achieved by limiting the range of the stargate probes, so that a defined volume of space can be expanded into.

NQ can can arrange the placement of stars any way they like, DU is not Elite Dangerous where our RL galaxy is mapped as realistically as possible, so the distances between stars in DU will be whatever NQ wants them to be.

I also don't believe that the planned FTL drives will help us to reach other stars. I think those drives will need some mechanism (like beacons) that have to be placed before you can warp from point-to-point. FTL drives won't just be "super engines" that make you go incredibly fast, warping between points will be a defined process.