materials and structure collision

leantros

so im interested about materials and structure collision.how does ramming work.is it so both take same amount of damage or can i make ship just for ramming(really strong and pointy nose).

if i ramp some1 with ramming ship are they both going 2 explode or is the other shipp going to break or even snap in half if i come from side and its not very thick .and are there going to be things like tungsten that really hard and titanium that strong and light?and will there be some super rare material thats strong as #@%.i really want to make really small ship like those in star trek beyond that just penetrates everything.

1 hour ago, leantros said:

sad.but if they would make so you would have to really think how to do it and material used to make rams would be really expensive

In a Player driven economy "expensive" never is an issue. See eve online. CCP: "titans are so expensive, we doubt we will see more than a few". 10 years later everyone and their mother welps them in a daily basis

5 hours ago, leantros said:

sad.but if they would make so you would have to really think how to do it and material used to make rams would be really expensive

Concepts like "very expensive" or "takes a long time" are just speedbumps in MMO's. All they do is delay the point where everyone "has it".

If a feature is significantly valuable, players will do ridiculous things to get that advantage... which inevitably leads to it being nerfed severely once "too many" players have it...

On 25.5.2018 at 2:31 AM, NanoDot said:

Concepts like "very expensive" or "takes a long time" are just speedbumps in MMO's. All they do is delay the point where everyone "has it".

If a feature is significantly valuable, players will do ridiculous things to get that advantage... which inevitably leads to it being nerfed severely once "too many" players have it...

I haven't played much MMOs but from everything I've heard whenever developers think they have something like that it is basically a "hold my beer" moment for the player base. I'm just wondering if that will happen with the death star in DU since NQ has stated it is technically possible but unlikely because of the resources and work we'd need.

No collision damage should also be more forgiving for practicing pilots/drivers so all the construction work wont go to waste too easily in some accident.

4 hours ago, Stig92 said:

No collision damage should also be more forgiving for practicing pilots/drivers so all the construction work wont go to waste too easily in some accident.

no collision dmg between constructs does not mean no collision damage with the environment

2 hours ago, vylqun said:

no collision dmg between constructs does not mean no collision damage with the environment

Considering one major reason for no collision damage (as far a I remember) was to reduce stress on servers which would have to do calculations for collision damage, it shouldn't really make a difference what you are ramming into.

26 minutes ago, Stig92 said:

Considering one major reason for no collision damage (as far a I remember) was to reduce stress on servers which would have to do calculations for collision damage, it shouldn't really make a difference what you are ramming into.

Um, no, the stress on the server is placed by both wheeled/tracked vehicles and things like leavers/pistons etc. Collision and damage between constructs was decided against for gameplay reasons, not server strain issues.

53 minutes ago, Stig92 said:

it makes a difference if you collide with another dynamic construct, where the server needs to calculate and send a lot of data, or if you collide with the ground, where most calculations can be done by the client. Calculations tend to increase exponentially with the increasing number of independent actors.

On 24-5-2018 at 11:43 AM, Lethys said:

You can make a ramming ship and you can Drive it deep into another construct and then it will.....bounce. 

NQ doesn't want us to build cheap engines with armor to kill other constructs, that's no fun and certainly brainless. 

So .. bumping is a thing? 

I think ramming ship shouldn't be implemented... I mean if you really want to ram another ship, you will ned a very very fast engines because the other ship will have a lot of guns or strong armor and will be a waste of material for nothing, because in the moment that there are 2 or 3 ships, you will ram one, leaving it disabled but the other two will crush you by the time you are turning to one of them.

22 hours ago, Elobomg said:

I think ramming ship shouldn't be implemented... I mean if you really want to ram another ship, you will ned a very very fast engines because the other ship will have a lot of guns or strong armor and will be a waste of material for nothing, because in the moment that there are 2 or 3 ships, you will ram one, leaving it disabled but the other two will crush you by the time you are turning to one of them.

Dont worry, NQ has said there wont be ramming as it messes up the gameplay quite substantially.

On 27/05/2018 at 1:37 AM, virtuozzo said:

So .. bumping is a thing? 

It remains to be seen what kind of a thing bumping will be in DU.

It was widely used in EVE (still is ?) to interrupt ships spooling up for a warp jump. We don't know yet how warp mechanics will work in DU, so we don't know if those tactics will work in DU.

4 hours ago, NanoDot said:

It remains to be seen what kind of a thing bumping will be in DU.

It was widely used in EVE (still is ?) to interrupt ships spooling up for a warp jump. We don't know yet how warp mechanics will work in DU, so we don't know if those tactics will work in DU.

In EVE's it's prevalent because while there is collision detection, there's no offset, no cost to it. So bumping and ramming tactics aren't simply viable, they're wierdly applicable to many circumstances and target selections. 

It's something which really makes me wonder. NQ made clear there's not going to be any ramming as such. I get the idea, but there's still going to be collisions anyway. Even if it were to cancel out factors like speed, it still creates an effect which people will use. If it simply has an angle effect, that too. 

I suppose I'm just not seeing how within what is currently known of the physics model there's not going to be room by default for such things unless there's a cost attached to it.