Wireless Energy

Have you ever seen the touch pads for your phones, and wondered why energy isn't truly wireless? Can you imagine that, free floating energy that can be used by anyone as long as you have a power source? Well, the mighty inventor, Nikola Tesla actually proved that such a thing was possible so many years ago; and the technology was confiscated, and just being used today by a civilian populace. 

My proposal is this; Dual Universe should have a manner of wireless electricity, at the very least for lower, planetary voltages for cities. We already have this technology today, so it wouldn't be too large a step in order to implement it on a large scale in the far future. 

Just a thought~

Too bad they already built pipelines for energy transfer.

Things like a power grid for a city, would determine how awesome a city is. It would create conformity and rules, like in real life.

And you know... wireless power would be quite OP, causing all sorts of exploits for fleets. It doesn't matter if the system is intended for the ground, the game is sandbox, people would build the equivalent of EVE link-ships and the balance will be promptly thrown out the window.

I believe some if not all systems rely on the planet's electromagnetic field to transfer energy via wireless methods. Or maybe that's how the energy is created, I can't exactly remember. Also, powergrids are simply large volumes of space that are a pain in the ass to maintain. I doubt anyone wants to be a line repairman in a time when you can just fly to the stars. My personal opinion at least, I don't want it to be too grindy when it comes to that sort of thing.

I believe some if not all systems rely on the planet's electromagnetic field to transfer energy via wireless methods. Or maybe that's how the energy is created, I can't exactly remember. Also, powergrids are simply large volumes of space that are a pain in the ass to maintain. I doubt anyone wants to be a line repairman in a time when you can just fly to the stars. My personal opinion at least, I don't want it to be too grindy when it comes to that sort of thing.

Well, as far as I know, wireless energy transmission works with magnetic wire coupling. Recharging a pacemaker without wiring into one's body and charging a bullet-train as it zooms ahead, are not the same as transfering power to a whole city, because radiation can kill people. You would be microwaved from the intensity of the power needed. When people talk of wireless technologies, like charging your phone in the proximity of a power source, that works like that becaues it's intended output is stable as a signal.

You COULD have a modular panel on a parking spot for ships to recharge their batteries without having the wire into them, but for a whole city, an actual grid will be needed.

Think of people who build large cities, as playing the best version of Sim City ever made. Hopefully, minus the natural disasters.

More people move in? Get a bigger power-plant. This would also make the aforementioned need for an infrastructure a must-have. After all, cities are a complex of constructs. You can't have people paying tax for the privililege of your arkification token withouy ou providing the power to justifty those taxes. Which would in turn, make cities have a common architecture, or be divided into square blocks and have a semblance of a real city with streets.

Emergent gameplay at its finest, no?

I wouldn't be too quick to call wireless energy transfer overpowered as long as you integrated it right. This was mentioned in another thread but one concept that has gone under some real world experimentation is directional power transmission, where a transmitter fires a narrow microwave beam and a receiver antenna converts the microwaves back into useful energy.  For game purposes this would mean you attach a directional transmitter to the power plant and a receiver (which doesn't necessarily have to be directional) to wherever you want the power delivered.  This would let you use a carrier's giant fusion reactor to power the engines and weapons on a small fighter or set up a beam-powered infrastructure to make it cheaper to move people and cargo around in an area you control.

Also, energy conduits still come into play here.  On the source side you need to connect the power plant to the transmitter and on the receiving side you need to connect the receiver to whatever systems are being powered.  Plus it also represents some efficiency losses due to the conversion to microwaves and back plus beam attenuation.

On the topic of Tesla's experiment... it probably wouldn't have worked as intended.  While he did successfully transfer power over short distances there doesn't seem to be any indication that he made it work over long distances.  Also any signal which is powerful enough to deliver useful amounts of energy risks inducing a current where you don't want it, not just in the receiver antenna.  A facility or vehicle which is actually designed to receive power from a directional transmitter can take special precautions but you can't guarantee that these precautions would be taken by every device and structure within a tower's range.  I imagine any attempt to actually build a power transmitter capable of supplying a community would likely result in a whole lot of electrical fires.  There might be some applications for an omni-directional power transmitter but replacing a city power grid is probably not one of them.

"wireless" could also simply mean that you don't need to be the one to wire everything up like if the metal plating of a ship is designed so that it can transfer power around in a near connection-less way (think lots of little interconnecting wires in the material moving the power around). but ya I like piping things up better

Have you ever seen the touch pads for your phones, and wondered why energy isn't truly wireless? Can you imagine that, free floating energy that can be used by anyone as long as you have a power source? Well, the mighty inventor, Nikola Tesla actually proved that such a thing was possible so many years ago; and the technology was confiscated, and just being used today by a civilian populace. 

to be honest,it was discontinued because the efficiency at that time was just far to low, nothing to do with it being confiscated etc. (Aside from all the crap with sending electricity through earth em field <_< )

Even today wireless power transfer is a pretty wasteful thing.

But there is a possibility for wireless powertransfer & ftl communication, creating small portals to an artificial dimension within the devices. This dimension could be a "small" dimension and used to funnel energy and data through it to every device connected to it, thus leading to nearly instant communication and energy support.