Automatic recognition of offline attackers Organization ID

Circles

If a shield or territory gets attacked, damaged or even a scratch on its territory defenses it should inform the owner of the territory about the Organization associated with the attack.
I was thinking it should show the user, but better off just making the organization responsible and if the user has no organization then just use the player ID. 

Player can belong to multiple organisations. But he can choose to repersent only one of them.

You couldn't see all of them, because it should be possible to hide belonging to some of them.

So you'd be only able to see what he wants to show you (i.e. only his name).

Quite useless feature if you ask me.

5 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

Player can belong to multiple organisations. But he can choose to repersent only one of them.

You couldn't see all of them, because it should be possible to hide belonging to some of them.

Completely if you put it that way, then a player ID scan? Or just go not knowing who damaged your defenses? 

No ID should automatically be seen. If you want to know who i think a detection system should be possible that you place yourself, but no auto detection. Make it some effort to get to know your attacker, radar, Lidar, other detection systems, any detection system whatsoever. But not automatically by the system. If NQ does not want to automate, then also no automation on attacks, just need some creativity

10 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

No ID should automatically be seen. If you want to know who i think a detection system should be possible that you place yourself, but no auto detection. Make it some effort to get to know your attacker, radar, Lidar, other detection systems, any detection system whatsoever. But not automatically by the system. If NQ does not want to automate, then also no automation on attacks, just need some creativity

Radial player scanners for large areas or parameters is a very good idea!

I'm not terribly opposed to this if "integrated well". Of course, this is highly subjective.

Considering gameplay, it adds emergent gameplay or potential consequences for your actions if you just can't "go dark" when no one is there (and you know it), risking potential "ghost damage" all the time. Most notably, smaller to moderate groups or organizations or even specific individuals could benefit from some kind of proposed mechanic, but it should feel natural. It basically means "If I do proceed to damage someone's (protected or defended, and I don't necessarily mean with shields or territory protection, more like, hardened, overwatched, camera-ridden) property then I may have to expose my identity and fear repercussions. At the same time it allows the victims to get some rough clue about attacks.

Considering "Realism" or "immersion", aka the time we will play and live in in DU, it should be possible tech-wise. Definitely.

So I see two positive reasons (if not more) for both gameplay and regarding the technology (whether it should be possible at all from a universe or lore POV).

jofX06O.png

But how should it look like?

Now, I just don't propose pure text logging that gives away all information which would feel relatively artificial to me - at least, if we can have more and if the developers deem it possible to implement (without causing too much server problems and so on) and want to implement it.

I propose something more "immersive" and still believable. Now, advanced scanners in that day and age or not, we could start simple and have something akin to cameras that allow you different options, such as manually checking areas from some console or, and now it becomes more relevant, trigger when a certain action is taken in visual range. E.g. take pictures that are stored in-game or only log something in text form when, for example, an attack is noted in the radius of the camera or device.

Ideally, of course, with a camera you can then have a visual image of a potential attacker. Should a clear name be on it? Here's where I propose another twist: It should be a bit blurry or only partially revealed, making it potentially hard to guess or figure out immediately who was responsible, adding potential investigation work as additional aspect. Maybe other potential identifiers such as ID tags, affiliations, something else. Maybe the longer you attack, the more clear the ID or so gets, as in, more hints are left.

You can argue more about this, but my point is to allow for something interesting catering to both sides in that scenario and something that generates more gameplay possibilities beyond having nothing to log attacks and getting literally everything about the attacker. I think something like I proposed, assuming it would be viable from a technical POV, would be a good compromise and create more content for many players.

Simply having a territory wide radial scanner that identifies boundary breakers would be enough, not only could it display mini map like movement during the event, but afterwords it could log the event happening within territory space, this seems right up the ally of LUA so no new mechanics are necessarily required. They may already be in game.

On 08/05/2018 at 7:59 AM, CalenLoki said:

I dont remember seeing this bit of useful information anywhere.

If this is indeed the case then there is no way of telling who a character is actually acting on behalf of. Which could lead to an known corp, being completely 'dark' if a rule of membership is 'hide your affiliation with this corp" ..... hehe FightClub corp..... first tule of FightClub corp is you cant talk about FightClub corp (hide affiliation)

This could make it hard to pinpoint a prolonged set of attacks...... and even when pinpointed how would you know who to attack?

Not sure if I like this or not.

Though I am in favor of making a single corp prominent, and having the other corps able to be looked up when viewing the characters profile. That way some detective work would still be involved. ;)

If the player can be identified then we can easily search the community and find their most active organizations. Then take it up with their legates if they're acting alone or not.

Only way around this would be to make a new character as a suicide griefer.