Revegetation - player instigated

CoreVamore

I dont know if this is already available but i thought the simple task of placing trees shrubs etc down to provide both camouflage and nice scenery would be a plus.

This may/maynot mean that to place a tree you may have to 'mine' a tree beforehand.

Doesn't sound like it will be possible initially.

“I would like to, but there are technical constraints behind that. Because imagine if you plant millions of trees everywhere, you basically have to remember all the positions of all the trees. Whereas in [the current] case, all the positions of the trees are calculated implicitly in the formula so you don’t have to store them.”

That's a JC quote from: http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/02/massively-op-interview-dual-universe-demo-shows-off-advances-in-city-building-space-travel/

Given what he said there, I'd imagine that if we ever get "planting" in DU, it will be in fixed locations, like a farming field or tree plantation.

Perhaps trees and plants can re-grow in the same position every time (using different models for varying growth stages), but that would be contrary to DU's non-regenerating resource design. Wood is a resource, after all.

Thx #NanoDot

It does sound like there are technical issues to overcome.

Perhaps a way around it would be a "growth seed algorithm " on a per claimed land title. I.e. a tcu needs to be active for it to be optionally turned on.

I do agree trees are a resource however they are a renewable ones.

Bottom line is it sounds like something NQ would like to do some time in the far future, providing they can work out how on a software/hardware level.

Fun fun :)

well, they can always just let trees regrow that aren't in the influence of a core, then the whole problem about storing the location of new trees is no more.

I saw something and they said, have a generated tree is easy to manage but one you had is a lot of charge for the server.
the reason is if somebody wants to seed millions of trees that will be a problem.

for digging I think it's not a problem because you change one object (the planet I think is just one object) and trees are different objects.

• CoreVamore changed the title to Revegetation - player instigated

thats not a bad idea at all  ;)  Well, assuming there isnt already single voxel (mega tree voxel?) tree type. If the late is the case then what NQ has said will still hold.... :o

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2018 at 1:45 AM, 0something0 said:

How about a "tree" voxel? When you plant a tree, voxel data would be stored there as a tree root blocm and the client would render a tree model accordingly.

That makes sense, though growth is hard to determine (size), so why doesn't it get assigned numerical values for scale and yeah, it's not a Minecraft tree after all.