Scrapping captured enemy ships?

6 minutes ago, CalenLoki said:

Salvaging is basically the same as removing parts from your own constructs, and should follow the same rules. What if I attacked a base/ship to take it over and keep it, not just to loot/destroy? Do I have to scrap whole construct and build my own?

Thats the thing, you dont own the destroyed construct, its a resource and should be harder to salvage as its manufactured, hence shouldnt follow the same rules.

As far as retrofitting a wrecked hull I dont think you should be allowed to do that unless you owned a blueprint for it so you knew how to both fix it physically, add a new core, relink the elements, and recreate the lua scripts.

I would also add that I dont believe hacking a core unit is a viable game mechanic simply because ships can be left parked. We would only end up with a whole group of ship-thiefs making for really crappy game play.

14 minutes ago, CalenLoki said:

Also IMO encouraging people to salvage by making it faster than mining is a good way to make the space and planets cleaner. If it's too slow to be viable, we'll end up with tons of space garbage flying everywhere. We just need to make sure that there is not much left after battle, but it should be well worth picking up.

Making something faster doesnt mean people will bother salvaging it. Making it valuable, like ships would be, as they are made from valuable materials, is what will motivate people to salvage - even if its four times slower, its still more profitable than ore mining.

Making it slower to salvage a ship also adds to gameplay as you dont know how fast the original owners may return to that spot in a more deadly ship to get revenge.....  the hunter becoming the hunted - fun fun ;)

13 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

Making it slower to salvage a ship also adds to gameplay as you dont know how fast the original owners may return to that spot in a more deadly ship to get revenge.....  the hunter becoming the hunted - fun fun ;)

Frankly I think victory in space should be that, emptiness and silence. Unless there was a pre-arranged party showing up to interject in a fight then theres no reason a re-spawn should get into orbit and have any particular advantage of having a fresh ship for "revenge".

12 minutes ago, Circles said:

Frankly I think victory in space should be that, emptiness and silence. Unless there was a pre-arranged party showing up to interject in a fight then theres no reason a re-spawn should get into orbit and have any particular advantage of having a fresh ship for "revenge".

The odds are many space battles will happen just outside of the atmosphere as ships gain more speed and are vulnerable to traps etc. So there is a good chance of either a respawn/revenge moment and/or their corp mates/allies showing up to extract revenge.

So yes, salvaging a recently killed ship should take a little bit of time (throw more people at the salvage attempt to solve that), this adds more tension to after kill act if the killers themselves become hunted.

However, if the battle happens in deep space then the odds of retribution will be much reduced, even with a longer salvage time, as the time taken to get to the battle zone will be longer than the time needed to salvage. It still doesnt mean that salvage should be quicker then mining. ;)

From what I've seen in the build videos, the core establishes the build grid.

So, the way I see it, if you destroy the core, you destroy everything in it.  Then NQ could do a limited random drop of parts of the blueprint.

If you want the entire ship, you would need to hack the core and take ownership.  Then you would be able to salvage all of the elements and voxels.

Maybe a high enough level hacker would also be able to hack the core to also provide the LUA scripts. 

So, a very high level hacker could steal the ship with all the LUA scripts attached.

So I find a core, blow it up, then whole death-star/space station/city/star gate/battleship/ect. suddenly disappears leaving loot-sacks behind?

No, thanks. I'd rather have indestructible core (unless you're the owner and remove all the blocks first), that loose ownership after after loosing all HP - transferring it to whoever repairs it.

If you allow hacking Lua, no matter what level it requires, you can make it available to owner by default just as well. Which removes possibility of earning quanta by being in-game programmer. I'm all for volunteer open source, but not forced one.

Character levels are never a good way to balance such aspects of the game - sooner or later those high level hackers will be commonly available.

I think that ship theiving, although a shitty and annoying aspect to the victim could cause the formation of new professions. If there was a mass ship stealer the victims of the thiefs crimes would want justice, they could contact a bounty hunter or contact space police, who then contact bounty hunters if the job is too small or too large. If that criminal was to constantly steal ships they would be in a lot of trouble because they will possibly be on a hit list or wanted by a government. This game is going to be very in-depth and interesting If things like this exist because of new business opportunities that form from crime. 

Concerning the edit rights part of the discussion, I agree that the core is the key, but besides searching for hidden core the alternative ought to be to cut off pieces of wreck with some weapon/tool so the cut off part would become neutral and salvageable when it loses connection to the core. Capturing ships, which would be greater reward, would require finding the core and getting rid of it/ hacking it, but Hacking should only be possible if player really gets to the core.

In terms of practicalities of salvaging wrecks it is resource collection like mining, so I wouldn't expect NQ to provide much if any more automation possibilities than with mining. Get out the airlock and work for the resources you lazy bastards.

That being said, it also shouldn't be horribly limited as salvaging is activity much like mining. People here have talked about need to lose materials and when ship is in battle the destroyed parts where it got hit would undoubtedly lose material but disabling a ship or killing its grew doesn't require massive percentage of the ship to be lost and that shouldn't be artificially increased beyond what is actually destroyed in battle. Maybe there could be some process to recycle materials just as ores probably need refining when dug out of the ground, maybe that process could be a little less than 100% efficient.