Voxel Editors for Ship Designing

Orius

Can anyone suggest to me a good voxel editor that I can use to make ship designs? I've tried MagicaVoxel and didn't really like it, mostly because of the scale required. I want something easy and fast, so that I can be pumping out ship designs really fast. And don't suggest Roblox. Don't be a trololololololol. 

23 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Remember you can't bring designs into Dual Universe. So whatever you design will need to be built from scratch in the game. 

I know that, but I just want to have a plan for what I am going to do in game for the ship, kinda like a reference point of sorts.

@Orius

It's a bit difficult to recommend a box-only voxel editor, as voxels, in general, in games such as LandMark, carry slant information, as such creating angular models like this should be possible:

bQJCBmF.png

With that in mind, I recommend you simply use Blender, or any other free 3D modelling program.

In Blender, using the 'Remesh' modifier on an object will give you voxel-like behaviour, with the Blocks mode showing you which 'voxels' would be mostly full in box mode: WDKn0Ns.png

Keep in mind, they've shown in the videos for the player construct voxel-density to be 0.25m, so if your goal is to create game-feasible models, make sure scale your model to fit roughly 4 of these boxes in a single grid line (which you can consider as 1 meter in blender).

Then flipping the modifier into Smooth or Sharp mode will show you how your Blender model might look recreated in a voxel engine:

dff8YFQ.pngr5ByGAd.png

As you can see, my model had very thin detail in the rear, that was smaller than the voxel engine could handle, which means I would have to reduce the detail in that part of the model, or increase the overall model size, increasing how many voxels I have for detail:

IE8uiAc.pngBMsxVIV.png

You can check out Voxel Studio (from Voxel Farm). It's about $20 for a year sub from memory. It functions a little differently than DU (it's a bit more like a 3d program in selection, dragging, filling etc) but you can get the same results and it's about as comprehensive as you can get from Voxel software. I don't know if it's going to fill your requirements of 'fast'. I have struggled with the controls a bit so found it quite slow going. If you do get it and find yourself scratching your head send me a message and we can discuss on discord or something.

You can always do what @Megaddd suggested if you really need voxels

But I think it would be easier to just make them in blender or any CAD software freely and then adapt them once you get to building them in game.

Edit: once alpha drops hopefully someone will make models of the parts in game.

On 8-5-2018 at 6:10 PM, Veld said:

You can always do what @Megaddd suggested if you really need voxels

But I think it would be easier to just make them in blender or any CAD software freely and then adapt them once you get to building them in game.

Edit: once alpha drops hopefully someone will make models of the parts in game.

Ah, that just somehow made me think of prefab constructs for rapid development and production ...