What exactly is "The Market" in DU ?

I've been thinking of "markets" in terms of EVE's implementation, but I've just realised I may have fundamentally misunderstood what DU's implementation will look like.

Perhaps DU is going to be closer to SWG's "player shops" !

Consider what we know about the mechanics in DU:

• players will place their own "market terminals" (that sounds like SWG's "player vendors")
  • a container will be attached to the terminal, where the goods for sale will be stored

Players will be able to remotely browse the listings on all terminals in a given range, even purchase remotely, BUT items will need to be physically collected from whichever terminal (i.e. shop) they were listed on. Just like in old SWG....

That means the market terminal you place is in fact your shop interface. You will define sales quantities, price, min/max volume, etc. directly on that terminal. If you list buy orders too, you will have to deposit quanta in the terminal so that your buy offers are funded.

That would also mean that a "market hub" in DU will actually be a cluster of independent "player shops" !

The "market window" in your UI will simply be an aggregated display of everything on all the player shops who's visibility reaches your current location. Increasing the visibility range will be the responsibility of the shop owner, not dependent on the skills of the potential buyer.

Baillie expounded on the market system, explaining that the range that other players can see your wares for sale will depend on the range of the seller’s market scanning skills and equipment. Sellers will be able to link stuff together to link to form larger markets with a longer reach.

Quote from: http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/02/massively-op-interview-dual-universe-demo-shows-off-advances-in-city-building-space-travel/

13 minutes ago, Captain Jack said:

is this speculation or information?

Bit of both, the quote I added from the MassivelyOP interview is what really set me off on this line of thought...

I particularly like the idea that in DU, the merchant will have to bear the cost of advertising (i.e. visibility range), rather than the customer having to train skills to see markets further away (as is the case in EVE).

8 hours ago, NanoDot said:

I've been thinking of "markets" in terms of EVE's implementation, but I've just realised I may have fundamentally misunderstood what DU's implementation will look like.

• players will place their own "market terminals" (that sounds like SWG's "player vendors")
  • a container will be attached to the terminal, where the goods for sale will be stored

Players will be able to remotely browse the listings on all terminals in a given range, even purchase remotely, BUT items will need to be physically collected from whichever terminal (i.e. shop) they were listed on. Just like in old SWG....

That means the market terminal you place is in fact your shop interface. You will define sales quantities, price, min/max volume, etc. directly on that terminal. If you list buy orders too, you will have to deposit quanta in the terminal so that your buy offers are funded.

That would also mean that a "market hub" in DU will actually be a cluster of independent "player shops" !

The "market window" in your UI will simply be an aggregated display of everything on all the player shops who's visibility reaches your current location. Increasing the visibility range will be the responsibility of the shop owner, not dependent on the skills of the potential buyer.

Quote from: http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/02/massively-op-interview-dual-universe-demo-shows-off-advances-in-city-building-space-travel/

Thats a good summery as to how we both think it will probably work. Trading is going to be a.... challenge ;)

On 5/3/2018 at 4:27 PM, CoreVamore said:

Thats a good summery as to how we both think it will probably work. Trading is going to be a.... challenge ;)

Risk=reward

On 3-5-2018 at 5:05 PM, NanoDot said:

I do think you're on to something. It strimes me as taking lessons from both systems / games. EVE's got its issues with the push on buyer mechanisms (not just a skill thing, but also took the brakes of symptoms connected to economics of scale application, and it opened the doors for trading bots in never before seen ways). The old SWG had its own little stumbling blocks. 

From what I now understand I like the potential correlation between investment, maintenance and commercial activity and gameplay. I could be wrong, but I suspect that team based commercial activity might very well be more rewarding than individual activity. Not simply in terms of logistics and production. 

What I wonder about is the actual connectivity/visibility/hub mechanisms. That's still something which makes me wonder about some side effects from economies of scale.