DU will have "one of the most complex crafting systems players have seen in gaming"

No, I'm not going "full-fanboi" here, the title refers to something that JC reportedly said in the recent MassivelyOP interview:

http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/02/massively-op-interview-dual-universe-demo-shows-off-advances-in-city-building-space-travel/

Here's the full quote:

He believes that DU’s crafting will be one of the most complex systems players have seen in gaming; it is designed to sustain the activity of thousands of players for years. )He also admitted that the UI is not very nice and that the team needs to work on it.)

That's a fairly bold claim, given what we've seen in various MMO's over the years !

We know very little about what NQ have planned to implement for crafting, other than some very high-level concepts. 

So far on these boards, everyone's been focused on building, not crafting. Are we in for a surprise ?

6 hours ago, NanoDot said:

No, I'm not going "full-fanboi" here, the title refers to something that JC reportedly said in the recent MassivelyOP interview:

http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/02/massively-op-interview-dual-universe-demo-shows-off-advances-in-city-building-space-travel/

Here's the full quote:

That's a fairly bold claim, given what we've seen in various MMO's over the years !

We know very little about what NQ have planned to implement for crafting, other than some very high-level concepts. 

So far on these boards, everyone's been focused on building, not crafting. Are we in for a surprise ?

NDA has a hold on this is why

22 minutes ago, unown006 said:

NDA has a hold on this is why

It does not.

The NDA covers everything in the pre-alpha. Crafting is not in the pre-alpha yet.

Besides, NQ have released loads of blogs, videos and screenies of things that are in the pre-alpha, but we've had virtually no info regarding crafting yet.

3 hours ago, NanoDot said:

It does not.

The NDA covers everything in the pre-alpha. Crafting is not in the pre-alpha yet.

Besides, NQ have released loads of blogs, videos and screenies of things that are in the pre-alpha, but we've had virtually no info regarding crafting yet.

I was referring to any ideas NQ has shed would have gone to people with access to pre alpha. Not so much as it being in the game yet

9 hours ago, unown006 said:

I was referring to any ideas NQ has shed would have gone to people with access to pre alpha. Not so much as it being in the game yet

You are misunderstanding the nature of the NDA. 

There are no "secret" devblogs regarding game features that are only available to those in pre-alpha. All NQ's devblogs, feature update posts and even training videos covering pre-alpha features are in the public domain. Anyone can read/watch them and know exactly what features are available and even what's planned in pre-alpha.

NQ have never "hidden" game feature devblogs, and I don't believe they ever will.

i'm still hoping for something like that for crafting: 

at least for the materials items are composed of. And ofc. the final efficiency/quality of the elements hsould depend on the materials used.

Not just one of the most complex in MMO's... But gaming as a whole. AS A WHOLE.... Pfew, does NQ know about Minecraft FTB and Space Station 13? They know about EvE...

That's pretty bold indeed. It's been a pretty bold project already. Any more of these promises makes me knock on wood and hope they don't bite more off than they can chew. Surely they know what that leads to?

yeah they know, they practically said you need to mine, refine, cast bars, craft every nail and screw, craft every small object on the print plate, craft the plate, craft the motherboard , etc, etc, With this we are gone get a "Home improvement" Market place pretty soon as not everyone likes to craft screws. Not to mention the "IKEA"Or "DUKEA" tm

But i do hope we will see this, from ore to product, every step player managed.  This will give need to manufacturing plants, steel mills, oil refineries, etc.   That would be really epic scale.

If they didnt think about doing it like that, lets give them that idea :P

34 minutes ago, Omfgreenhair said:

Any more of these promises makes me knock on wood and hope they don't bite more off than they can chew. Surely they know what that leads to?

At least a crafting system doesn't pose any problems concerning server tech etc. its more a question of creativty, so i wouldn't be so pessimistic about it.

I am all for complexe (but not to much overcomplicated) crafting system in game!

It will be realy nice to have more than one tier of furnaces / rafinerys to be able to obtain higher /better allois etc.

And again, for all that we will need diferent types of power tools and diferent equipment to craft from smallest items to largest  ship components.

I may be in the (forum) minority, but I prefer to focus on more meaningful tasks, like constructing or utilising those constructs. 

So IMO if I have resources, technology and tools, then crafting should be as simple as clicking "I want that element" and waiting.

10 minutes ago, CalenLoki said:

So IMO if I have resources, technology and tools, then crafting should be as simple as clicking "I want that element" and waiting.

If JC is serious about the level of DU's crafting complexity, then I guess you could always just click on that sell order and buy the elements from whomever is making them ? ;) 

8 hours ago, Kregon_Tempestus said:

I am all for complexe (but not to much overcomplicated) crafting system in game!

It will be realy nice to have more than one tier of furnaces / rafinerys to be able to obtain higher /better allois etc.

complex crafting doesnt mean different tiers, rather have different properties for crafting instruments which allow them to excell at different elements (refineries for example could have maximum heat, heat stability, heat homogenity etc. which could be needed for different compunds etc.) In that sense you get a kind of tiers, but at the same time there is no absolut best element.

A really good crafting system needs to be simple for average products but turn into a science if you want to master it. Tiered crafting where you just click all the needed items together is neither conplex nor interessting, just tedious and boring and contains no difficulty except for the grind needed for better crafting instruments.

IMO A complex Crafting system would make it not necessarily unique game (as multiple levels of crafting to receive an end product is pretty commonplace in some top tier games) But would certainly make it Interesting! 

Making the value of higher tier items Genuinely more costly because of the time cost associated with it.

Causing markets and peoples to specialize in particular elements or products as opposed to just the refined part.

While it may Deter some, It's certainly an attracting mechanic to me!

I guess I'm ok ether way with the crafting because I don't think it will be a problem seeing that I feel there will be a lot of specialization in many areas and no one will be a jack of all trades and maybe you might become one day but that would be a very long time away seeing how skill training might go !

You may be the best weapon smith out there but you will probably need some one to provide you with rare ore and materials you may not be specialized in harvesting or making yourself !

On 5/3/2018 at 5:33 AM, NanoDot said:

Here's the full quote:

So better than minecraft I suppose

1 hour ago, lysander051 said:

I want something like eve online where one guy can't make a ship alone. you need to mine the resource, learn tech competence, learn to craft competence, have a blueprint...

That might be what the skill tree will be for

I truly want that this DU game project to succeed but I fear that if we get only that magical glow what I see from youtube videos the game will be boring!

Thats whay I propose diferent tools for diferent purposes , for mining a proper mining powertool, for building small equipment  specialized multy-tool, for salvaging , laser cuter etc, etc!

Crafting will need to be interesting but also balanced mechanic in game for the majority of players to enjoy in game.

Also, when I sed diferent tiers i mean diferent workstations whit upgreadable options and recuarement of diferent higher tier of tools for crafting etc.

(again sorry my english is not so good)

52 minutes ago, Kregon_Tempestus said:

Crafting will need to be interesting but also balanced mechanic in game for the majority of players to enjoy in game.

That can be achieved in different ways.

I would guess that DU will be similar to EVE in that regard. In EVE, basic "crafting" is accessible to everyone, but manufacturing gets more time-intensive as the products increase in "tier". EVE's actual crafting is fairly simplistic, but the logistics required to keep it going most definitely is not. Trained crafting skills are required, but managing the economics of the process is the real challenge.

In EVE, anyone can train the skills to make a battleship, but unless they're manufacturing in bulk like the dedicated industrial players, they're better off just buying one on the market, because it will be cheaper than making their own.

In most themepark MMO's, a high level character buys a few large stacks of resources and just grinds through them to make a max-level "crafting alt". After that, you just login to the alt whenever you need something made. That kind of "accessibility" will not be available in DU.

4 hours ago, Kregon_Tempestus said:

Well as Far as I know DU is trying to hit every player base so I think if they truly achieve this they would also balance the game on the way

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I hope that complicated crafting doesn't make automated manufacturing of components/blocks or tools impossible. Given the sci fi setting having to craft everything by hand is seriously archaic not to mention stupid considering how big ships can be. It would slow down literally everything to a snails pace.