Will there be any form of resource regerantionH

Caldakar

Hi there 

Wonder will there be any type/form of resource re-generation ?  I am not sure how big the safe zone is but with everyone mining I am wondering what will happen to the resources? 

thanks in advance for any replies 

I wonder if there could be some materials that procedurally spawn over time.  Not like a node that respawns, but a totally new vein or plant or whatever that wasn't there before.

It seems like it would be good to give people a reason to revisit areas that would otherwise eventually be picked completely clean of resources.

Maybe not even the same resources that were there before.  But some new resources that are triggered by the older ones being cleared out.

33 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I wonder if there could be some materials that procedurally spawn over time.  Not like a node that respawns, but a totally new vein or plant or whatever that wasn't there before.

NOPE.

34 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

It seems like it would be good to give people a reason to revisit areas that would otherwise eventually be picked completely clean of resources.

Just like real world, people move on to another area to find another vein of ore. I dont see any reason for them to revisit an area than either there is a town/city/market/base there or just the view of that area.

4 hours ago, Caldakar said:

Wonder will there be any type/form of resource re-generation ?  I am not sure how big the safe zone is but with everyone mining I am wondering what will happen to the resources? 

Seem like there is non regenerate resource vein here. But there maybe a farm is the only got regenerate resource but i didnt know if farm is confirm in game.

1 hour ago, ShioriStein said:

NOPE.

Well that doesn't add much to the conversation.  But thanks I guess... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ShioriStein said:

Just like real world, people move on to another area to find another vein of ore. 

And in the real world things change,  minerals are deposited,  crystals form, plants grow, meteorites fall.

4 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

And in the real world things change,  minerals are deposited,  crystals form, plants grow, meteorites fall.

Minerals are deposited and crystals grow, yes, but are you going to wait 10,000s of years for that? Yup plants grow can't argue with that. And meteriotes would be an interesting feature. Like a bunch of meteorites appear and they have a new material on them.

The usual mineable resources will not regenerate. While they are finite, there will be a lot. So much so that it may take years to mine out a planet.

Besides mining, potential future (read as "most likely not for release") renewable resources could include farming trees and alien-creatures. (Many players want wood and meat, after all.)

9 hours ago, Caldakar said:

Hi there 

It's an interesting question that has no clear answer at the moment.

The arkship safezone will have "basic" resources, which will be heavily mined initially, for obvious reasons. It's 100% safe, and will be closest to the arkship market terminals where the NQ buy orders for minerals can be filled in complete safety. The arkship safezone is also the only place where players that want to avoid PVP can live and build.

I'd expect the arkship safezone to be stripped of all resources in the first few months after launch, because it's the easiest and safest way for anyone to "make money" in DU. The NQ buy orders for resources will be the ONLY way to bring new money (quanta) into the game. The only way to prevent rapid depletion of the arkship safezone would be for NQ to not buy some (or all) of the basic resources in the safezone. That would extend the lifespan of the arkship resource deposits a bit. It would give new players the chance to build a basic hovercraft before they venture out into the PVP areas to gather more useful resources.

Other than the arkship safezone, the MSA (Moon Secure Area) safezones will have no resources at all.

Outside of the arkship safezone lies DU's massive game world, where it will take years to strip just one planet of all resources. The "rare" resources may not last very long, but as long as NQ get the balance right, resources should not be a problem in the "starter system" for years, and we'll be expanding the play area to new systems long before that.

The whole concept of "finite resources" is a bit tricky really, because it essentially can't be allowed to "run out" entirely, otherwise the game simply dies.

8 hours ago, Caldakar said:

Hi there 

No. Keep in mind that resource cycles tend to go way over the limits of human perception. Resources are finite, so ultimately variables like availability, difficulty, cost, value and such kick in. The idea is to go out there, application of scarcity concepts is a big stimulus in that. I'm sure there will always be some sort of low key / baseline type of resource available unless you strip every planet in every safe zone, but variety is the spice of life. Which may very well be possible, as Nanodot points out. 

Nobody is "Remi in space" - alone. Embrace people. Just keep friends even closer than enemies :P

Think of it as choices in terms of behavioural goals and methods. You can be a locust, or part of a group of locusts. Or you can be more human, or part of a group of humans. 

I wouldn't worry that much about these things, from what I understand thusfar the devs are avoiding pitfalls like spawn cycles / timers which have a tendency to result in less than productive types of gameplay elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Can you give me one ? Especially the crystal form. Plant regenerate is something i have heard before, we maybe ( or maybe not ) can create a farm in DU.

5 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Well that doesn't add much to the conversation.  But thanks I guess... :rolleyes:

Sorry i'm a bit tired when reply so i use the fastest, simpliest to say. We have no resource like vein or ore being regenerate .... that confirm by NQ.

2 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

Can you give me one ? Especially the crystal form

Minerals get washed downstream by rivers. Crystals like diamonds grow very slowly. Crystals grow by solute evaporating from a solution leaving the precipitate behind

17 minutes ago, Veld said:

Crystals like diamonds grow very slowly. Crystals grow by solute evaporating from a solution leaving the precipitate behind

Both of these happen too slowly to be included in the game.

18 minutes ago, Veld said:

Minerals get washed downstream by rivers.

Yes, but where do they come from? a finite source.

20 minutes ago, Evil_Porcupine said:

Both of these happen too slowly to be included in the game.

Yes, but where do they come from? a finite source.

Not doubting anything you've said. Personally I think resources have to be finite for the game to function from a logical and immersive point of view.

With infinite resources there's no incentive for large scale expansion (one of the main concepts of the game) and there's no need for efficiency. With the sheer size of the game world, a planets resources would regenerate before it would be drained. If they were set so they didn't regenerate so fast, the megacorps will still have a monopoly on mining them. And over this long period of time any infrastructure built up with those minerals would have to be displaced. To make way for ore veins.

Plus it's just plain weird having rocks appear out of nowhere.

39 minutes ago, Veld said:

Minerals get washed downstream by rivers. Crystals like diamonds grow very slowly. Crystals grow by solute evaporating from a solution leaving the precipitate behind

Oh this is new now i know. So DU will have to live long than 10000 YEARs so new crystal vein will form there :P

Just now, ShioriStein said:

Oh this is new now i know. So DU will have to live long than 10000 YEARs so new crystal vein will form there :P

Yup, but time flies when you're having fun...or dead from old age...

1 minute ago, Veld said:

Yup, but time flies when you're having fun...or dead from old age...

If that be so my GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GRAND CHILD will mine those crystal vein that for me ;)

1 minute ago, ShioriStein said:

If that be so my GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GRAND CHILD will mine those crystal vein that for me ;)

Think you missed a few greats there

2 minutes ago, Veld said:

Think you missed a few greats there

No i didnt miss any great there. In future human will have their life expand longer even immortal but that technology will too late for me (or to expensive for current me).

Imagine in my WILL i will write " So now i'm leaving this world, i will give my child my most valuable thing that i got ... my account in DU and all my property. Only one condition that my child must mining that crystal vein when it appear" . :lol: i want to see my child face that time

Thanks for the replies.  Wondering now how NQ will keep beginning zone available for new players coming in to the game later on ?  I mean if we strip it bare in the first couple of weeks. I do expect that safe area to be picked over pretty fast .. What will new players have to mine ?  Also wondering on the safe area, how big is it ? 

1 minute ago, Caldakar said:

Also wondering on the safe area, how big is it ?

We don't know how big the arkship safezone will be at launch, NQ have not made a final decision on that yet AFAIK.

It will probably be decided during the beta phase, when all the different game features are in place and NQ can see what players are doing and where they're doing it.

4 minutes ago, Caldakar said:

Thanks for the replies.  Wondering now how NQ will keep beginning zone available for new players coming in to the game later on ?  I mean if we strip it bare in the first couple of weeks. I do expect that safe area to be picked over pretty fast .. What will new players have to mine?

The new players will have to join more developed organisations. It's how it works in reality. The early bird gets the worm. If players want to make their own ships and constructs they can always buy the resources by working for quanta.

51 minutes ago, Caldakar said:

Thanks for the replies.  Wondering now how NQ will keep beginning zone available for new players coming in to the game later on ?  I mean if we strip it bare in the first couple of weeks. I do expect that safe area to be picked over pretty fast .. What will new players have to mine ?  Also wondering on the safe area, how big is it ? 

Based on the tone of their comments about it I think they believe they can make the safe area last a while.  I don't know how they plan to do so, but they don't seem to be worried about it.  The fact that they seem to have thought out other systems so well gives me confidence that they have a good plan in place.

1 hour ago, Caldakar said:

It's a 20km radius or diameter iirc. thats big, it should last at least a little while, especially as more organised orgs move out of it as they can protect themselves for the better resources.